Speculation: Zaitsev discussion part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I wasn't saying a straight up trade Zaitsev for MacEwen, I just think he would be a good piece to target in a Zaitsev trade with Vancouver. Also MacEwen is is a much better prospect than Marchment.
Machment and MacEwen on the same line sounds nice. Marchment - MacEwen - Korshkov might tire out some D cores.

Reactions: Logic

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
You had no quotation in the post above, that is where I got confused, unless it was from the previous thread.

I tried;

Brown+Sparks+STL 4th for EDM 2nd
Hamilton+Wallmark+1st for Kadri and Kapanen
Doughty, Lewis, Clifford for Zaitsev, Marleau, Nylander, Liljegren, 2nd 2020
Marner 8 x9.85M
Johnsson 2 x 2.25M
Hutch 1 x 875k
Heed 1 x 975k
Pirri 1 x 800k
Simmonds 1 x 2M (longest of shots, hoping his rep took a big hit from last year)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Simmonds
Moore-Wallmark-Pirri
Clifford-Lewis-Mikhayev
Marchment-Gauthier

Rielly-Doughty
Muzzin-Hamilton
Dermott-Heed
Rosen

Andersen
Hutch

135k in cap space with 132k potential bonuses

Margins are razor thin.

Simmonds can probably do better.
All of those trades favour the Leafs and yet the team looks worse.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The leafs can’t afford Doughty. They need to free up at least $8M in cap space. At most they’ll take back one roster player making $4M to replace Z.

Z+ Willie = Doughty with cap to spare. The question is, how bad would those pluses be? I would be much happier with Doughty at $11M than EK at $10M but I honestly don't see the Kings dealing Doughty because I think they will try to build around Kopitar for another run. Unless they decide to blow it up and trade Anze as well (not a bad idea at all given the age of their core players) Doughty will be a King for at least a couple more years. The hiring of McLellan does not suggest they have any interest in a blowup rebuild as he has only ever had good results with good pieces to work with.

If they can add a star RD Willie is out the door with wings on but they need stars to get on the market. EK @ 6 x $10M is done but he will want more in spite of his injury issues, and I honestly think Trouba will pick his own spot, and it will come down to 3 or 4 US markets. He is a Michigan boy but I don't think he wants to hop into that blender. Philly is my choice, but Trouba has an Aussie GF and a home in south Florida so maybe he ends up there. Seriously Ekblad for Trouba? I like JT more just because of the concussions he hasn't had, but that could still be a win-win for both clubs. Trouba has to be okay with getting stomped on for a couple of years though but his desire to flee the Peg suggests he would rather be warm and lose.

So realistically Willie + to Carolina for Pesce + and they don't add the superstar we want, but we have a better top RD than Zaits or Hainsey. Zaits to Van if they don't find a better deal and Tanev to the Leafs (but only if we resign Hainsey to cover the 25 games Tanev misses).

Zaitsev is a wild card because of the fat deal and the unclear value he has in the trade market but in spite of HFBoard fan analytics he is a right shot D that has averaged over 20:00 a night meaning the club had a certain level of trust in him. It would probably be naive to think none of the other 30 clubs think as much of him as the club does so I would expect some level of positive return. I really wish they had done the Hamonic thing and said "we will look into it" rather than we will help him move on. Still, this could just be Russian drama and he just needs to be stroked a bit to give it another try.

He has been used according to the clubs needs rather than to his own skills. He might have more to give but it could require a full season paired with Muzzin and the team may not have the ptience.

Last edited:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I think Z and Marleau are going to LA as part of a larger trade. That trade will take place after bonus' are paid out or in two parts. The target will be Doughty.

Outside that, Z is under appreciated but has #4D type weaknesses to his game. No big surprise, contract is fair.
If Marleau is being traded to LA ... Dion is coming back!

:naughty:

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
That may actually be the plan if they can't get a reasonable return for him. I'm not sure we want to keep someone so mentally fragile though which is why I think they dump for nothing even if we have to add.
Completely agree if he is indeed mentally fragile.....but you know how these things get escalated. Not convinced that is the case yet

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does Zaitsev receive a July 1 bonus like Marleau or can he be moved at any time?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Thanks.
Safe to say he won't be moved before then.

Probably not, but depends on how desperate teams are for D before the UFA season begins.

The flip side is the price could go higher to acquire him after July 1st (i.e. bonus paid out by leafs; small base salary, if the team chasing UFA D gets left with nothing). That being said, it puts them in a cap bind to have to wait until July 1st for the bonuses to be paid out (not just for their own players to re-sign, but to be active in the UFA/Trade market).

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
Brown and Zaitsev for Puljujarvi and a 3rd.

Both Zaitsev and Puljujarvi flourish in their new homes, and everyone is happy.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I always knew Zaitsev wouldn't be a problem to move, because the NHL execs are still obsessed with a right handed dman playing a lot of minutes.

Doesn't matter if they're a bottom pairing dman like Zaitsev or not.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Per cap friendly. Zietsev has a modified NTC kicks in July 1.

He gets moved at the draft imo.
Perhaps although if he's asking to leave I doubt he blocks a trade.
Wouldn't he be worth more after his bonus is paid?

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Perhaps although if he's asking to leave I doubt he blocks a trade.
Wouldn't he be worth more after his bonus is paid?
Maybe.. but he gets more leverage on where he goes, possibly nixing a more lucrative trade to a team he doesn't want to go to. Also if bonus is paid.. maybe his acquiring price goes up?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Maybe.. but he gets more leverage on where he goes, possibly nixing a more lucrative trade to a team he doesn't want to go to. Also if bonus is paid.. maybe his acquiring price goes up?
Yep for sure his price goes up.
If he doesn't like the destination he'll be stuck playing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad