Speculation: Zaitsev discussion part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think Z and Marleau are going to LA as part of a larger trade. That trade will take place after bonus' are paid out or in two parts. The target will be Doughty.

Outside that, Z is under appreciated but has #4D type weaknesses to his game. No big surprise, contract is fair.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Z and Marleau are going to LA as part of a larger trade. That trade will take place after bonus' are paid out or in two parts. The target will be Doughty.

Outside that, Z is under appreciated but has #4D type weaknesses to his game. No big surprise, contract is fair.

If Dubas can turn Zaitsev and Marleau into Doughty... it's probably time to build his statue right now.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

The leafs can’t afford Doughty. They need to free up at least $8M in cap space. At most they’ll take back one roster player making $4M to replace Z.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Dubas can turn Zaitsev and Marleau into Doughty... it's probably time to build his statue right now.

Depends what other stuff is traded. I mean if you look at it, we could probably deal between us to the point of bringing them back to having a PO shot.

Maybe Kadri or Nylander are involved, it could be a mix and match rebalancing for both teams.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
its also possible he just goes back to the KHL right? He wont make $4.5M of course but if he is sick of the media and scrutiny here that is also a option id imagine no?.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Zaitsev/Gards numbers once Gards got in shape and started playing his regular TOI (Oct 17th- onwards). This includes the data from when Gards played with back issues as well.

CF%: 51.84
SCF%: 54.43
HDCF%: 57.83
xGF%: 54.48
GF%: 53.38

Bear in mind they were also one of the less sheltered 2nd pairings in the league. High end QoC combined with 45% OZs. Babs likes to overload his top 4, thats for sure.

Im not sure how you can spin those as bad numbers though.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Logic

This is the way
Aug 8, 2012
P.E.I.
If we can't get a RHD back for Zaitsev, I wouldn't mind the leafs targeting Zack MacEwen out of Vancouver in a Zaitsev trade. He had 52 pts in the AHL last year and would bring some size and physicality to the bottom 6.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Every defencemen in hockey thinks they should be on the powerplay. Even the worst players in the league think they should be more involved with the offence but it doesn't mean any of them are right. Did the people suddenly criticizing Babcock for not getting zaitsev more involved actually feel that way before zaitsev ran his mouth? Like were they watching the games thinking "wow it's crazy zaitsev isn't on the powerplay this guy is amazing"? I kind of doubt it. It's threads like these zaitsev ones that tell me some fans are just looking for an excuse to complain.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
If we can't get a RHD back for Zaitsev, I wouldn't mind the leafs targeting Zack MacEwen out of Vancouver in a Zaitsev trade. He had 52 pts in the AHL last year and would bring some size and physicality to the bottom 6.
Never heard of him til now. Would 100% go for that trade.

Reactions: Logic

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

If I am getting size, I'm getting it for cheap on the UFA market. We shouldn't be trading for it unless it was like a depth swap. If they want to swap MacEwen for a prospect like Timashov, then by all means. Otherwise, I'd go for pure picks instead.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If I am getting size, I'm getting it for cheap on the UFA market. We shouldn't be trading for it unless it was like a depth swap. If they want to swap MacEwen for a prospect like Timashov, then by all means. Otherwise, I'd go for pure picks instead.
It’s not exactly size we should be focused on.
It’s intensity.

If the goal is to have a team that lacks it, passive or prefers non-confrontation, get Hamilton.

We will see who Dubas pursues and what his definition of identity is.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
its also possible he just goes back to the KHL right? He wont make $4.5M of course but if he is sick of the media and scrutiny here that is also a option id imagine no?.

450k vs 4.5m, 450k, 4.5m... I think he likes the NHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
450k vs 4.5m, 450k, 4.5m... I think he likes the NHL.

he would be paid more than that. Also earned $12.5M so far in his carreer with $3M more due on july 1, maybe thinks its not worth the hassel of the Toronto media and what not, obviously speculation.

Not everyone is a money hungry greed merchant

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
So size with skill has no place in the sport anymore? You act like the kid is a goon.

Reactions: Logic

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Why don't we keep Zaitsev if he's a top 4 RHD like I'm seeing based on his shot suppression and qoc numbers? It saves cap space, but then we have to spend cap space to replace him, so in the end it's a wash. Even if he wants to be traded I'm sure the Leafs can just not trade him.

Unless a team is going to overpay for him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Read what I quoted? Just fan talk mostly, nothing that makes much sense.

You had no quotation in the post above, that is where I got confused, unless it was from the previous thread.

I tried;

Brown+Sparks+STL 4th for EDM 2nd
Hamilton+Wallmark+1st for Kadri and Kapanen
Doughty, Lewis, Clifford for Zaitsev, Marleau, Nylander, Liljegren, 2nd 2020
Marner 8 x9.85M
Johnsson 2 x 2.25M
Hutch 1 x 875k
Heed 1 x 975k
Pirri 1 x 800k
Simmonds 1 x 2M (longest of shots, hoping his rep took a big hit from last year)

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Simmonds
Moore-Wallmark-Pirri
Clifford-Lewis-Mikhayev
Marchment-Gauthier

Rielly-Doughty
Muzzin-Hamilton
Dermott-Heed
Rosen

Andersen
Hutch

135k in cap space with 132k potential bonuses

Margins are razor thin.

Simmonds can probably do better.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If we can turn Zaitsev into anything as long as its a positive return in assets, I am happy.

It helps towards the cap and gives flexibility to construct a different roster.

Reactions: Its not your fault

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Every defencemen in hockey thinks they should be on the powerplay. Even the worst players in the league think they should be more involved with the offence but it doesn't mean any of them are right. Did the people suddenly criticizing Babcock for not getting zaitsev more involved actually feel that way before zaitsev ran his mouth? Like were they watching the games thinking "wow it's crazy zaitsev isn't on the powerplay this guy is amazing"? I kind of doubt it. It's threads like these zaitsev ones that tell me some fans are just looking for an excuse to complain.
I'm not disagreeing with your comment because I believe you are correct especially with what Zeits offense turned into which I think is much to do with the system focusing on offense from the left defense. But I have wished many times that Zeitsev was on the PP instead of Gardiner. His first year as a leaf they played him on the PP at the start of the season and he was actually really good he netted 12 PP points that year and he got replaced by Gardiner half way through the season. Since then he has not been given a single chance on the PP and his 12 PP points remain his career total. It didn't work out here but I'm sure this kid has a huge offensive upside we haven't seen yet especially because we was known to have a rocket of a shot before coming to the leafs

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Why don't we keep Zaitsev if he's a top 4 RHD like I'm seeing based on his shot suppression and qoc numbers? It saves cap space, but then we have to spend cap space to replace him, so in the end it's a wash. Even if he wants to be traded I'm sure the Leafs can just not trade him.

Unless a team is going to overpay for him.

That may actually be the plan if they can't get a reasonable return for him. I'm not sure we want to keep someone so mentally fragile though which is why I think they dump for nothing even if we have to add.

Logic

This is the way
Aug 8, 2012
P.E.I.
Imagine how Canucks fans would react if we proposed Stecher for Marchment.

Our fanbase wants to get taken to the cleaners in every goddamn trade. Pathetic.

I wasn't saying a straight up trade Zaitsev for MacEwen, I just think he would be a good piece to target in a Zaitsev trade with Vancouver. Also MacEwen is is a much better prospect than Marchment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad