Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm just trying to understand your line of thinking here:

i) Coach consistently uses "good" player(s) in important situations
ii) Team consistently loses important games
iii) Team has zero notable accomplishments in four seasons coach as been there
iv) "This coach knows what he's doing and we should trust his evaluations"
-He uses his best available options
-Yes, they need to get better. 1 top pairing d man has been Achilles heel for them.
-See above
-No. I’ve been consistent on my opinion on this player for a very long time (wrote two long posts in a thread about him around trade deadline, before WC) The coach sharing my sentiments was used to add credibility to my opinion.

You’re free to believe whatever you’d like. I’m just saying the only credible individuals that we can measure seem to agree with me. You’ve got a bunch of fans with charts and graphs mirroring your opinion.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
:laugh: So if you’re not interested in feelings, what are you interested in? A google proficiency challenge? What can I link from the internet?

In order to show you that he’s doing his job we’d need to sit down and watch tape together. You know this won’t happen but it’s funny you think this somehow proves your point.

I cited two independent professional coaches both in the NHL and Russian hockey who both saw enough value in him to assign him the toughest defensive matchups including defending leads in the last minute.

It doesn’t seem logical to choose a bottom pairing guy for this sort of stuff, does it? Or maybe you’re saying they’re wrong and shouldn’t have deployed him like that?
Because he was assigned tough match ups doesn’t mean he was good at it.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
The disconnect comes from player metrics vs team metrics. Coaches and teams absolutely use some team metrics in the video room while breaking down tape - there was actually a screen shot of his white board with something titled ‘heavy shifts’ which was interpreted as lines that had shifts with sustained pressure. Certain combinations, matchups etc are great data to have at your fingertips.... The problem starts when fans start thinking player metrics are included in this. They’re literally a scam and Babcock has denounced them on more than one occasion.

“Those analytics, what a thing. Some people making money off that stuff.. (chuckles) good for them!”
Sure, he can ignore the data and keep his unhealthy obsession with studs like Cleary, Helm, Abdelkader, Hyman, Zaitsev and Marleau.

Reactions: TS Quint

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
-He uses his best available options
-Yes, they need to get better. 1 top pairing d man has been Achilles heel for them.
-See above
-No. I’ve been consistent on my opinion on this player for a very long time (wrote two long posts in a thread about him around trade deadline, before WC) The coach sharing my sentiments was used to add credibility to my opinion.

You’re free to believe whatever you’d like. I’m just saying the only credible individuals that we can measure seem to agree with me. You’ve got a bunch of fans with charts and graphs mirroring your opinion.
So you prefer opinions to facts and evidence? That's an interesting take.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So you prefer opinions to facts and evidence? That's an interesting take.
What facts and evidence? Numbers and charts? Again, art not science. Your ‘data’ is incredibly incomplete. It misses far more than it actually records. This isn’t baseball. Sabre metrics won’t work because there it literally hundreds of variables on every shift compared to only a few for every single isolated AB in baseball.

Player metrics are a scam. Hate to break it to you.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think most teams would give him 5 years right now. Are teams not going to give Myers 5 or 6 years then too? He's 2 years older, so his ends at 34 or 35. Zaitsev ends at 32, which is the kind of age you want it to end.
You can you overpay or you give a longer contract. The problem with Zaitsev is that he's both and he's not good enough to be both.

Reactions: TS Quint

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
:laugh: except he’s had two professional coaches this season both in the NHL and for team Russia, and both coaches trusted him with the most difficult defensive match ups at the absolute highest level.

More credible: Pro coaches or JetsHomer? Hmmmm.

Then keep him.. ?

A top-4 RHD who can handle "the most difficult defensive match-ups at the absolute highest level" signed at $4.5M AAV would provide immense value to a cap-strapped team in need of a top-4 RHD, like Toronto?

Right.. ?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Then keep him.. ?

A top-4 RHD who can handle "the most difficult defensive match-ups at the absolute highest level" signed at $4.5M AAV would provide immense value to a cap-strapped team in need of a top-4 RHD, like Toronto?

Right.. ?
Yes. Problem is that he requested a trade because he’s sick of the abuse from fans and media.

While certainly not the same caliber of player, it was kind of like the treatment Larry Murphy got.

Unfortunate, really

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When the Leafs eventually move him without giving up a major asset or taking back a bad contract this forum is going to explode l

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sure, he can ignore the data and keep his unhealthy obsession with studs like Cleary, Helm, Abdelkader, Hyman, Zaitsev and Marleau.
Interesting choice of names. All players who can be counted on to perform the tasks set out for them on a pretty consistent basis. They’re all very versatile players that a coach can rely on. They all compete every shift.

Gee, I wonder why he’d like them?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
What facts and evidence? Numbers and charts? Again, art not science. Your ‘data’ is incredibly incomplete. It misses far more than it actually records. This isn’t baseball. Sabre metrics won’t work because there it literally hundreds of variables on every shift compared to only a few for every single isolated AB in baseball.

Player metrics are a scam. Hate to break it to you.
All science is incomplete, that's why we still have science you dolt. If things could be predicted with flawless 100% accuracy then what's the point in having people conduct research? Why even play the game? Just because a thing can be improved doesn't mean it has no value.

Please explain what these 'literally hundreds of variables' are and what data isn't being recorded that should be. Because in the last 5 years there's never been more data - shot location, shot quality, score effects, zone effects, goaltender quality, rates for and against, shooter quality, etc. There's such a glut of data that analyzers are having trouble keeping up with it all.

Numbers and charts, that's exactly what science is. Dismissing them the way you do is disingenuous and shows that you're only interested in what's convenient to your existing opinions.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
All science is incomplete, that's why we still have science you dolt. If things could be predicted with flawless 100% accuracy then what's the point in having people conduct research? Why even play the game? Just because a thing can be improved doesn't mean it has no value.

Please explain what these 'literally hundreds of variables' are and what data isn't being recorded that should be. Because in the last 5 years there's never been more data - shot location, shot quality, score effects, zone effects, goaltender quality, rates for and against, shooter quality, etc. There's such a glut of data that analyzers are having trouble keeping up with it all.

Numbers and charts, that's exactly what science is. Dismissing them the way you do is disingenuous and shows that you're only interested in what's convenient to your existing opinions.
Why even play the game? It’s a ******’ sport! :laugh: It’s not about numbers and predictions. It’s about skill and competition and just having fun. From a spectator view it’s fun and exciting to watch. It’s the fastest moving sport on earth with almost non stop action, and there’s violence and bare knuckle fights. What’s not to love?

We clearly enjoy this game very differently. :laugh: If I want to know about a player I’ll watch him, focus on him when he’s on the ice. See what he’s doing in relation to his ever-changing responsibility.. Defensemen are particularly difficult and that’s why so many good ones weren’t high picks... PVR has been a great tool for us with the ability to record multiple games while having the benefit to rewind if you want to see how a breakdown started etc.... and the benefit of fast forward eliminates commercials and intermissions. Also speeds up reviews :laugh: ...

You have to watch the hockey. There’s no other way to do it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why even play the game? It’s a ******’ sport! :laugh: It’s not about numbers and predictions. It’s about skill and competition and just having fun. From a spectator view it’s fun and exciting to watch. It’s the fastest moving sport on earth with almost non stop action, and there’s violence and bare knuckle fights. What’s not to love?

We clearly enjoy this game very differently. :laugh: If I want to know about a player I’ll watch him, focus on him when he’s on the ice. See what he’s doing in relation to his ever-changing responsibility.. Defensemen are particularly difficult and that’s why so many good ones weren’t high picks... PVR has been a great tool for us with the ability to record multiple games while having the benefit to rewind if you want to see how a breakdown started etc.... and the benefit of fast forward eliminates commercials and intermissions. Also speeds up reviews :laugh: ...

You have to watch the hockey. There’s no other way to do it.
Do you seriously think people don't watch hockey and just look at spreadsheets to make decisions? Like, people say this all the time as a joke, but do you genuinely believe it's true? How much hockey do you think I watch? Do you assume people who agree with you watch more hockey than those who disagree with you?

If you like Zaitsev, that's fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't like him. Like whoever you want. There's nothing wrong with liking bad players. But once you start making claims about how good he is, those need to be backed up with more than "I think" and "I feel". Deferring to someone else's opinion doesn't make your opinion stronger, evidence does. Objective, quantifiable, empirical evidence. And all of the evidence shows he's not a good player and is overpaid when compared to similar players.

I don't plan on coming back to this thread so feel free to have the last word.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Of course not.. But do you think Babcock and Russian coach send him out to defend 1 goal lead in the last minute while leaving better options on the bench?
Being better than the Leafs bench option doesn't actually mean Zaitsev is a good defender

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Do you seriously think people don't watch hockey and just look at spreadsheets to make decisions? Like, people say this all the time as a joke, but do you genuinely believe it's true? How much hockey do you think I watch? Do you assume people who agree with you watch more hockey than those who disagree with you?

If you like Zaitsev, that's fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't like him. Like whoever you want. There's nothing wrong with liking bad players. But once you start making claims about how good he is, those need to be backed up with more than "I think" and "I feel". Deferring to someone else's opinion doesn't make your opinion stronger, evidence does. Objective, quantifiable, empirical evidence. And all of the evidence shows he's not a good player and is overpaid when compared to similar players.

I don't plan on coming back to this thread so feel free to have the last word.
:laugh: Have you even read anything I’ve posted in here?

Objective, quantifiable, empirical evidence? :laugh: You can’t be serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad