Value of: Zaitsev Contract.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I disagree. I think it’s biggest problem is his decision making which affect a lot of other aspect in his game. I find he got a good first pass when you give him enough space. The problem is he’s unable to do so while being pressured. He panic and get rid of the puck (poor decision making).

His poor decision making also affects his D coverage where he will too often over extend, put pressure on the wrong guy/has his body in a bad position that allows the attacker to have the inside on a rebound or get loose for half a second.
Yeah, we’re definitely talking about two different Nikita Zaitsevs.

Decision making isn’t bad. Composure under pressure isn’t good at times, and it’s all a confidence issue. You can literally follow how it’s wavered throughout his time in NA.

Examining his actual tools, he’s easily a top 4. His wavering confidence is what holds him back.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Read the damn post.
I did. Broken down you wrote "Leafs fans call Rielly/Zaitsev/Muzzin/Dermott good, if that's true, why where they so bad defensively?" I assume that's accurate?

Well, that's already been answered by myself and others in multiple ways..
Reasons Leafs D was "bad" (your words):
Hainsey playing top pair minutes.
Injuries forcing Marincin/Holl/Rosen to play
Muzzin playing only 30 games

You see, the assumption here is you saying the Likes of Rielly/Muzzin are not good because you are pointing out the Leafs "bad" defense as a whole. (i left out Dermott due to rookie status and Zaitsev due to him not being a stellar D). I mean if you are questioning why anybody calls Rielly/Muzzin good...then i question your knowledge of hockey.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
He was #4 and you want him on the bottom pair. I have a hard time thinking that is worth 4.5 million dollars. If he’s not playing good at #3, it’s hard to say he’s earning his money.

This sounds even more rough defensively next year when the Leafs need to replace Gardiner and Hainsey. Unless they start moving money from the forward group to the defense instead of everyone moving down the line up, most guys are going to have to take on a more difficult role.
I think his coach likes him a lot, actually.

I’m not sure fans of the Habs are really high on the relevancy scale re; the topic.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If you’re using player metrics it’s because you’re a beginner. Nobody credible even looks at that crap.

Why would anyone take your opinion seriously when you’re putting stock into metrics that miss even more data than they actually record?

Ooooops.
I've watched dozens of Leafs games last year due to living in their viewer region and my eye test backs up what the stats confirm. Zaitsev is trash at the game of hockey

Oooooops.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I think it’s just impacted by his ability to make a play under pressure. In other words, he panic when he should stay composed

That's heavily influenced by the defensemen he has surrounding him and the matchups he gets. Good luck staying composed knowing if you mess up Gardiner or Muzzin will be nowhere to be found and all your forwards are too busy doing triple axles elsewhere. Top pairing defensemen can do it but plenty of good defensemen would get rustled and look worse than they are.

If you put him in say Anaheim, with Manson being the shutdown RD ahead of him and one of Fowler or Lindholm being a reliable two way presence next to him, plus having a goalie like Gibson behind him and a solid defensive system in general, you probably have him play like a 5 million dollar #3, put up between 30 and 40 points while being a + and use his gifts to his full advantage. He's not a guy you can put in any situation like a true #1 D but you can get much more out of him in the right situation than of a limited 3rd pairing D.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I did. Broken down you wrote "Leafs fans call Rielly/Zaitsev/Muzzin/Dermott good, if that's true, why where they so bad defensively?" I assume that's accurate?

Well, that's already been answered by myself and others in multiple ways..
Reasons Leafs D was "bad" (your words):
Hainsey playing top pair minutes.
Injuries forcing Marincin/Holl/Rosen to play
Muzzin playing only 30 games

You see, the assumption here is you saying the Likes of Rielly/Muzzin are not good because you are pointing out the Leafs "bad" defense as a whole. (i left out Dermott due to rookie status and Zaitsev due to him not being a stellar D). I mean if you are questioning why anybody calls Rielly/Muzzin good...then i question your knowledge of hockey.
I can’t control what you want to assume. I asked a question. I was hoping for a real answer, not you acting like you’re being persecuted.

Through Muzzin’s 30 games the team was a defensive disaster. Defense wasn’t a problem for the first half of the year so he didn’t contribute to that but somehow he gets a pass? ok.

After Muzzin arrived Zaitsev was 9th 5 on 5 on the defense. But he was good?

So the blame goes to Hainsey, a couple guys who had good 5 on 5 numbers in a hand full of games. Is there stats you can point to that has this make sense?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I've watched dozens of Leafs games last year due to living in their viewer region and my eye test backs up what the stats confirm. Zaitsev is trash at the game of hockey

Oooooops.
:laugh: except he’s had two professional coaches this season both in the NHL and for team Russia, and both coaches trusted him with the most difficult defensive match ups at the absolute highest level.

More credible: Pro coaches or JetsHomer? Hmmmm.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I can’t control what you want to assume. I asked a question. I was hoping for a real answer, not you acting like you’re being persecuted.

Through Muzzin’s 30 games the team was a defensive disaster. Defense wasn’t a problem for the first half of the year so he didn’t contribute to that but somehow he gets a pass? ok.

After Muzzin arrived Zaitsev was 9th 5 on 5 on the defense. But he was good?

So the blame goes to Hainsey, a couple guys who had good 5 on 5 numbers in a hand full of games. Is there stats you can point to that has this make sense?
Show me in my post where i said Zaitsev was good.

And then i read "good 5 on 5 numbers"....am i debating with another Hockey is played on my laptop guy?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Lol...the very 1st thing you listed as a strength proves you do not have a clue. Decent 1st pass?? That's his biggest ****ing weakness. He panics with the puck in his own zone and tries to rush a pass...which usually ends up in either a giveaway or an icing.
Damn he kind of sounds like a pretty trash Dman through you're scouting report. But I thought you were saying earlier he's really good and would benefit any team that trades for him??

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Damn he kind of sounds like a pretty trash Dman through you're scouting report. But I thought you were saying earlier he's really good and would benefit any team that trades for him??
I would like you to show your work.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Show me in my post where i said Zaitsev was good.

And then i read "good 5 on 5 numbers"....am i debating with another Hockey is played on my laptop guy?
I guess I don’t need to post when I have you here to tell me what I know and think. Apologies for adding stats and facts to my opinions. Maybe we can hear more about your feelings.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I guess I don’t need to post when I have you here to tell me what I know and think. Apologies for adding stats and facts to my opinions. Maybe we can hear more about your feelings.
If Marincin's "stats" show he's good at anything, then there is zero need to continue. Because i actually had the displeasure of watching him play....not looking at graphs and charts.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
If Marincin's "stats" show he's good at anything, then there is zero need to continue. Because i actually had the displeasure of watching him play....not looking at graphs and charts.

No, I was being told he was one of 3 defensemen who were the entire reason for the Leafs defensive downfall. After January 28 (Muzzin’s arrival) he played 14 games @ 15min/ game. I’ll take your word for it that he sucks but at the same time he was the 2nd best defensemen @ 5 on 5, 54.24%. I guess he was playing against the other teams weaker players (?) but he was out shooting the other team so at least he was contributing overall for his time played. I don’t think he was the major problem due to his limited useage.

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Neither are we.

FYI, that one legged guy put up 33 points in 58 games (~46 points on a full season) with a +15 after missing a full year of hockey. That’s better than your Kapanen & Johnsson superstar players. Not bad, eh?

Kap and Johnson lmao, how about our two FRANCHISE centers? Hell our third line center would be your first. Marner is better than anyone your team. Rielly is as well.

MTL =garbage ainec. Lmfao @your post

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Again, hockey player assessment is art not science. There is no scientific formula to determine a players worth. That is the only fact.

You suggesting your numbers are a trump card only prove how little you actually know about this.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Kap and Johnson lmao, how about our two FRANCHISE centers? Hell our third line center would be your first. Marner is better than anyone your team. Rielly is as well.

The guy that never broke 70 pts once? lol

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Again, hockey player assessment is art not science. There is no scientific formula to determine a players worth. That is the only fact.

You suggesting your numbers are a trump card only prove how little you actually know about this.
Once again I never said any number was a “trump card”. But they are a cards. You seem to be holding no cards what so ever and are just trying to bluff your way through this. I’m not really interested in your feelings. But if you can come back with anything that can back up anything you say hit me up.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
:laugh: except he’s had two professional coaches this season both in the NHL and for team Russia, and both coaches trusted him with the most difficult defensive match ups at the absolute highest level.

More credible: Pro coaches or JetsHomer? Hmmmm.
The same NHL coach Leaf fans are trying to run out of town? The one with 8 playoff wins and 0 series wins in the 4 years he's been in Toronto, that's the guy you're trusting?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Your third line center was outproced by both Domi (70 points) and Danault (53 points) and did 12 more points than a 18 years old Center. Good try though

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Once again I never said any number was a “trump card”. But they are a cards. You seem to be holding no cards what so ever and are just trying to bluff your way through this. I’m not really interested in your feelings. But if you can come back with anything that can back up anything you say hit me up.
:laugh: So if you’re not interested in feelings, what are you interested in? A google proficiency challenge? What can I link from the internet?

In order to show you that he’s doing his job we’d need to sit down and watch tape together. You know this won’t happen but it’s funny you think this somehow proves your point.

I cited two independent professional coaches both in the NHL and Russian hockey who both saw enough value in him to assign him the toughest defensive matchups including defending leads in the last minute.

It doesn’t seem logical to choose a bottom pairing guy for this sort of stuff, does it? Or maybe you’re saying they’re wrong and shouldn’t have deployed him like that?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
:laugh: So if you’re not interested in feelings, what are you interested in? A google proficiency challenge? What can I link from the internet?

In order to show you that he’s doing his job we’d need to sit down and watch tape together. You know this won’t happen but it’s funny you think this somehow proves your point.

I cited two independent professional coaches both in the NHL and Russian hockey who both saw enough value in him to assign him the toughest defensive matchups including defending leads in the last minute.

It doesn’t seem logical to choose a bottom pairing guy for this sort of stuff, does it? Or maybe you’re saying they’re wrong and shouldn’t have deployed him like that?
Surprisingly, professional coaches actual evaluate and respond by what they see. I've yet to see a coach whip out his ipad behind the bench to check advanced stats before deploying his players....

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Fans. Key word.
I'm just trying to understand your line of thinking here:

i) Coach consistently uses "good" player(s) in important situations
ii) Team consistently loses important games
iii) Team has zero notable accomplishments in four seasons coach as been there
iv) "This coach knows what he's doing and we should trust his evaluations"

Reactions: Golden Puppers

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Surprisingly, professional coaches actual evaluate and respond by what they see. I've yet to see a coach whip out his ipad behind the bench to check advanced stats before deploying his players....
The disconnect comes from player metrics vs team metrics. Coaches and teams absolutely use some team metrics in the video room while breaking down tape - there was actually a screen shot of his white board with something titled ‘heavy shifts’ which was interpreted as lines that had shifts with sustained pressure. Certain combinations, matchups etc are great data to have at your fingertips.... The problem starts when fans start thinking player metrics are included in this. They’re literally a scam and Babcock has denounced them on more than one occasion.

“Those analytics, what a thing. Some people making money off that stuff.. (chuckles) good for them!”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad