Value of: Zaitsev + Bracco

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I'd be surprised if Bracco held much value at all until he made the NHL. For sure he's one of our better wing prospects and his production has been fantastic this year, but his size and need for offensive minutes mean he's a marginal player if he defaults. A little bit of star potential if he makes it, but there's still a lot of risk attached until he proves he's the real deal.

Apparently Bracco has grown a few inches since drafted and is listed on the Marlies as 5"11. If that is true or not I do not know but basically that is the same size as Marner and Nylander.

Personally I think we need to keep him unless something blows our doors off. The idea of having:
Nylander
Marner
Bracco

on the Right side could be deadly. Won't hurt either that he is under a million.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
There is no need to attach Bracco to trade Zaitsev , Zaitsev is overpaid but he's not terrible

Zaitsev at 4.5 for 5 more years is terrible, and he will need a significant add to be moved. Every GM in the league knows that the Leafs will need to shed salary for next year to make room for Marner, Matthews and Kapanen. They are not going to give the leafs an easy out.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Apparently Bracco has grown a few inches since drafted and is listed on the Marlies as 5"11. If that is true or not I do not know but basically that is the same size as Marner and Nylander.

Personally I think we need to keep him unless something blows our doors off. The idea of having:
Nylander
Marner
Bracco

on the Right side could be deadly. Won't hurt either that he is under a million.

Even if he's grown a few inches, he's still an offense-only player. If he can't produce at the NHL level he won't be an NHL player. That said, I'm fully in favour of keeping him. Just because I don't think he has value in a trade doesn't mean that I don't think he's a good prospect to have. We'll keep him unless another team loves him, because we wouldn't get much for him and he could still be a hidden gem. Compared to a prospect like Grundstrom, who clearly held value and got us something we wanted in return, holding onto Bracco is an easy call.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Zatisev isn't going anywhere before the trade deadline.

More than anything they need to split him and Gardiner up. They clearly have no chemistry together.

Trading Zaitsev would just open up another hole in the D before the playoffs. Sure he's overpaid but he's still a better option than Ozhiganov or Holl.

In the off-season they'll re-explore trading him.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Leafs pretty much have to move Zaitsev's contract to keep the core together and signed long tern. I know there's other possible routes/scenerios but that contract is a huge anchor and is going to hinder progress moving forward. Bracco is having a breakout offensive year in the AHL and has a really high ceiling. Leafs are set at RW so he could be expendable.

Zaitsev + Bracco
For
Your team's bad expiring contract

Takers?
Zaitsev doesn’t have negative value.

Reactions: Saint Blue

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Zaitsev doesn’t have negative value.
What do you think teansceould be willing to pay for him considering his contract and level of play for the past two seasons?

Negative value may be stretch, but he doesn’t hold any actual value. Wouldn’t every team in the league be making a horrible deal by buying him for even a 3rd or 4th rounder?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's extremely, extremely rare for a right shot to play LW in the NHL. Even then, I don't think Bracco is cut out for a 3rd line role. He's a top-6-or-bust prospect, as others have mentioned.
There's no such thing as a top 6 or bust prospect or a "not cut out for a 3rd line role". Lines don't have to be constructed like Sega's NHL 95.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
What do you think teansceould be willing to pay for him considering his contract and level of play for the past two seasons?

Negative value may be stretch, but he doesn’t hold any actual value. Wouldn’t every team in the league be making a horrible deal by buying him for even a 3rd or 4th rounder?
I concur. He doesn’t hold much value. I do believe a sideways trade could be possible.

Reactions: koyvoo

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Why do we need another 4.5 on defense, with Shatty, Staal, Smith, Skjei? Especially one with 5 more years.

Because we would be using available cap space we don’t need to obtain a good prospect in Bracco

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
pass from the Leafs. McQuaid is a really bad player even in a 3rd pairing role by all of the measurables, and Dubas is a big proponent of the measurables. Zaitsev is sub par, but he's been passable as a #4D since about mid November, there would be some benefit to shedding his contract but he's been trending up so we're probably better to wait as long as possible to move him if that's what we're going to do - he probably won't look as bad as he does now and there would be less term left on his contract, so he'll cost less to get rid of the longer we wait

I'd do it. Bracco with Zaitsev for a pending UFA is a good deal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Because we would be using available cap space we don’t need to obtain a good prospect in Bracco

I don't think Bracco is worth taking a contact that long for a d-man we don't even need. We'd be better off just signing Hayes or Zucc again, then taking Bracco and a 4.5 cap hit d-man.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I don't think Bracco is worth taking a contact that long for a d-man we don't even need. We'd be better off just signing Hayes or Zucc again, then taking Bracco and a 4.5 cap hit d-man.

I guess I can agree with you on that.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Defensive skill too
Sure, if possible, but why on the 3rd line? Why not defensive skill on the 1st? Why not scoring on the 4th?

Ideally you want players good at all things, but barring that.... if a player does 1 thing well, why would a 1-way defensive player be any more valuable than a 1-way offensive player? And why would you want an offensively below avg 3rd line instead of a defensively below average 3rd line?

#becausethat'sthewaythingshavealwaysbeendone doesn't fly for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad