Value of: Zaitsev + Bracco

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Leafs pretty much have to move Zaitsev's contract to keep the core together and signed long tern. I know there's other possible routes/scenerios but that contract is a huge anchor and is going to hinder progress moving forward. Bracco is having a breakout offensive year in the AHL and has a really high ceiling. Leafs are set at RW so he could be expendable.

Zaitsev + Bracco
For
Your team's bad expiring contract

Takers?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
As a Leafs fan yes I'm winning take take(keep) Zaitsev if it means we get(keep) Bracco as well.

Reactions: 7even

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I could see a slightly lesser cap hit that is about 3-5 years. I don’t see a team taking this utter trash contract for anything less than multiple future pieces. Bottom pairing defenceman paid 4.5m aren’t what teams are looking for.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Tit

Toast and jam
Sep 23, 2018
The problem is, we don't want another bad contract in return.

So I would do Zaitsev + bracco
for

4th round pick

And even then, we get out of the bad contract but make a huge hole at RHD

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I want to find a good sports journalist, and ask them to find out who is injured long term, and has a contract that's not insured.

The best possible case scenario for the Leafs is someone like a Horton exists who you can make a move for. Probably the guy who is on the LTIR who is un insured doesnt even need to be as long as a contract. Even a 2 year guy making 5m is 10million in dead cash. For most teams that's a killer

I.e. Zaitsev for (new Horton). Leafs keep a guy on IR and pay out cash to the injured guy who can be used to go over the high end of the cap.

If a team has to pay the guy to not play, why not pay Zaitaev and at least get a serviceable NHLer who has a chance to return to his rookie season form where he was a decent #4.

Any other move is likely to cost us in retention, getting a bad contract back, or having to add a big addition to him.

member 157595

Zaitsev may be bad at moving the puck and getting his shot through, and is certainly overpaid for what he brings, but if we move him we actually really do need to replace him since our right side is pathetic.

I'd rather do something like Nylander + Zaitsev for good RHD + expiring contract(s) but that's not realistic. We can't just move Zaitsev and get nothing back, as overpaid as he is.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Unless the Leafs are 100% planning to trade one of Nylander, Marner or Kapanen then Bracco is surely trade bait at some point. There isn't any room on the right side.

member 157595

Unless the Leafs are 100% planning to trade one of Nylander, Marner or Kapanen then Bracco is surely trade bait at some point. There isn't any room on the right side.

I don't expect Bracco to play for the Leafs. I think he'll be an add in a deal for a defenseman at some point.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'd be surprised if Bracco held much value at all until he made the NHL. For sure he's one of our better wing prospects and his production has been fantastic this year, but his size and need for offensive minutes mean he's a marginal player if he defaults. A little bit of star potential if he makes it, but there's still a lot of risk attached until he proves he's the real deal.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'd prefer to move a conditional 2020 1st rd. pick instead of Bracco at this point. Bracco is a pretty good prospect, I have him only behind Sandin and Liljegren. I'd rather keep Woll over the pick as well. Anyone else should be on the table to move Zaitsev, maybe a couple in trade or one added to a pick.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I think Kapanen can play LW if needed.

I'm still not giving up on the idea of Bracco being a Leaf. Marner 1RW, Nylander 2RW, Bracco 3RW. Each line with a smooth playmaker on the right side.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think Kapanen can play LW if needed.

I'm still not giving up on the idea of Bracco being a Leaf. Marner 1RW, Nylander 2RW, Bracco 3RW. Each line with a smooth playmaker on the right side.

It's extremely, extremely rare for a right shot to play LW in the NHL. Even then, I don't think Bracco is cut out for a 3rd line role. He's a top-6-or-bust prospect, as others have mentioned.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

member 157595

Adam McQuaid

Zaitsev
Bracco

Trade aside, I'd so love to have McQuaid on this team. Exactly my kind of #6/#7 defender, he's tougher than the rest of this blow-around-in-a-breeze soft team combined.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Why would you give up a decent prospect just to switch the name of the player you have on a terrible contract?

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Adam McQuaid

Zaitsev
Bracco
pass from the Leafs. McQuaid is a really bad player even in a 3rd pairing role by all of the measurables, and Dubas is a big proponent of the measurables. Zaitsev is sub par, but he's been passable as a #4D since about mid November, there would be some benefit to shedding his contract but he's been trending up so we're probably better to wait as long as possible to move him if that's what we're going to do - he probably won't look as bad as he does now and there would be less term left on his contract, so he'll cost less to get rid of the longer we wait

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
As much as I’m down to move Zaitsev and his contract. He’s our only actual right shot D after Muzzin pushed Orzganiov down the line up .

Somewhere in June between the day after the cup is won and June 30 the day before Zaitsev M-NTC kicks in do I see him shipped out

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There is no need to attach Bracco to trade Zaitsev , Zaitsev is overpaid but he's not terrible
I think people really lose the context on Zaitsev's contract, he's paid like a high end #3D (in a 5way tie for 64th AAV for dmen) right now but that's only $500k removed from the #4D threshold and about a million above a middle of the pack #4D cap hit. The Gardiner-Zaitsev pairing was bad until mid November largely because Zaitsev was awful, but has been very passable since then and getting a good 2nd pairing for $8.5M isn't bad, once Dermott replaces Gardiner on it the cost will be about $5.5M for the 2nd pairing for next year which is great

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Leafs might keep tabs on Luongo this offseason or next for LTIR if he decides to call it quits likely 2020 summer, can send Zaitsev there.

Why would a cost-conscious team like Florida take on $4.5M for the next 5 years?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It's extremely, extremely rare for a right shot to play LW in the NHL. Even then, I don't think Bracco is cut out for a 3rd line role. He's a top-6-or-bust prospect, as others have mentioned.

Top 6 or bust makes no sense to me in the modern NHL. Teams should want skill on all lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad