Zadorv: " Its Nate Mackinnon's way or your off the team "

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Competitive is good if you channel that competitive fire into actions that help win the game.

Pouting when a pass isn't perfectly tape to tape doesn't help you win games. And yes that quote is talking about practice but we've all seen MacK do that in games too.

There's times where the puck doesn't come to MacK the way he wants or a teammate doesn't do what MacK wanted and you see MacK throw his hands up in the air and stop rather than play hockey.

This is the best post! Being competitive and fiery and pushing your teammates is great, but you have to mature and push through adversity. I can tell when he gets frustrated he starts mentally blaming his teammates.... and he kinda gives up...

Losers blame others... Leaders put others on their back and carry them through...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Please read the whole thing, there’s some other stuff that got cut off. Also a lot more from Z if you are interested in that. It’s a shame all the work someone did to both conduct and translate a two hour interview in Russian doesn’t get credited and all it is a Twitter screencap that everyone sees.

[Trade] Flames acquire rights to Nikita Zadorov for 3rd acquired in Rittich trade - Page 27 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Start there and the whole thing is 5 parts over about 5 pages.

There’s a lot about MacKinnon screaming at everyone too and getting into a fight with Z because he lost a camp scrimmage. We know that stuff about him too but it forms a full picture that’s he’s a bit of a diva.

Thanks for posting this! Super interesting read and I agree, it’s worth reading through it all. However, since I figure most people won’t, I’ll add a bit more of Avs related info below. I’d also argue that Mack isn’t really a diva, Z knew how to get Mack bloods boiling and did it on purpose because he enjoys that. But it is very interesting that Z has adopted a lot of stuff Mack did, such as having his wife use chickpea pasta. Also interesting how he still refers to Mack at the end of the interview, even though they’ve moved on from the topic. Seems like he really does look up to him a bit.

Part 5 – NHL superstitions, Zadorov’s pre-game routine

• You were saying that Nichushkin is the most superstitious player you know.
o Yes, Valeri is.
• What sort of superstitions does he have?
o First of all he believes in god, and he has a bunch of icons(religious works of art, common in the eastern orthodox church).
 Do you believe in God?
• No, I’m an atheist.
o If he scores a goal with a stick, he plays with it until it completely falls apart. He tapes/fixes it just so it doesn't fall apart.
o I’ve seen many Americans and Canadians that are even more superstitious though. They lose their minds if something goes wrong in their game prep.

• What’s the strangest superstition you have seen?
o Tyler Ennis, he brushes his teeth before a game. His teeth are super white. I think he brushes them like 20 times a day. We have disposable toothbrushes in the locker room. Every time before he gets out for the first period. He gives his teeth a really hard scrub.

• What about you? I heard you had a superstition that you had to take a shower before a game.
o Yes, I have a routine. It changes a little bit.
o I always take a shower before a game. Now I jump into a cold bath right before a game to get my blood pumping.
o Two years ago, I wasn’t taking cold baths, but I started taking them again this year.

• Why did you start doing that?
o I don’t know I think I saw someone doing it during my first year in Buffalo.
o Do you know Patrick Marleau? He has something like 1700 games played. He takes a cold bath after each period. Multiply 1700 x 3… He takes off all his clothes/equipment gets in the bath and gets it all back on after, every period.
 So did you get it from him?
• Honestly, probably not, but I can’t remember.
o You just try to do things before the game that would make you feel better during the game. So that you are better prepared. Each player has his own routine.

o My routine is:
 A morning skate, I usually wake up at around 8, drive my daughter to school, then I go for the skate.
 After the skate I drive home, my wife cooks me food. I usually have two pieces of grilled red fish, some sweet potatoes, half a sliced Avocado, and tomatoes with (didn’t say which) oil. I also have a chickpea pasta without sauce. The benefit of chickpea pasta is that it doesn’t have as many empty carbs. You don’t need them for the game because you would quickly run out of energy. It has more proteins which give you more energy during the game.
 I finish eating around noon. Then I go play counter strike. I play 3 games.
 I turn off my computer, sit, and meditate for 20 minutes. I have an app on my iPhone. It has a special sensor/disk/pad you place on your artery, put on headphones. You end up feeling the music through your entire body and it helps you relax. I lay down like that shutting my brain completely.
 I put on (special compression) pants for 30 minutes to get my legs ready for the game. I listen to music during that time.
 I have a shower, put on a suit, and drive to the rink.
• You don’t even sleep/nap?
o Yes, this year I stopped doing that.
o I used to only play one game of counter strike and nap for 2 hours. That resulted in me feeling a bit sluggish during the game.
o This year I changed it to no sleep, and I feel a lot more energy during the game. When you sleep 8.5-9 hours at night, that’s enough for your body. You don’t need that nap because it throws off your biological clock a bit.
• What if you lose all 3 games in counter strike?
o Then I rage for a bit, especially if I get bad teammates.
o That’s how NHL players get ready
• You remember when we were taught as kids? We were always told to throw out the phone before the game.
o Yes, yes. MacKinnon is playing fortnight during all the time before he drives to the game. He doesn’t even sleep.
o MacKinnon likes to lose at fortnight because then he comes to the game angry and has a better game as a result.
o Many players are like that.
o They make a lot better screens now, and have special glasses, so your eyes don’t get as tired before the hockey game.
o The video games help hockey players focus, because you have to use your quick reaction time, which keeps you on the edge.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
imagine a world where the Avalanche traded MacKinnon and kept Zadorov

I think it'd look something like this:

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 41

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
You really can't argue with MacKinnon's results. Fun to think about how many hockey players never reach their peak because they don't take it as seriously. Also anyone remember that old MacKinnon video of young him giving nutrition instructions? Guy's been on the grind since the beginning.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Reminds me of Michael Jordan’s last dance. Every practice was to work towards a championship and nothing else was acceptable. Every coach I’ve ever had harped that practices should be no different than games. With Bednar tiptoeing I’m glad Nate holds people to a high standard.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Reminds me of Michael Jordan’s last dance. Every practice was to work towards a championship and nothing else was acceptable. Every coach I’ve ever had harped that practices should be no different than games. With Bednar tiptoeing I’m glad Nate holds people to a high standard.
He is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad