Zadorv: " Its Nate Mackinnon's way or your off the team "

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Interesting find of a translated Russian interview with Zadorov. We can talk about it on the other side.
“This excerpt from a Russian interview where Zadorov talks about Nathan Mackinnon is pretty… I don’t know, inspiring? Eye-opening? The literal price of greatness.”
4VXb8Ow.jpg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Please read the whole thing, there’s some other stuff that got cut off. Also a lot more from Z if you are interested in that. It’s a shame all the work someone did to both conduct and translate a two hour interview in Russian doesn’t get credited and all it is a Twitter screencap that everyone sees.

[Trade] Flames acquire rights to Nikita Zadorov for 3rd acquired in Rittich trade - Page 27 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Start there and the whole thing is 5 parts over about 5 pages.

There’s a lot about MacKinnon screaming at everyone too and getting into a fight with Z because he lost a camp scrimmage. We know that stuff about him too but it forms a full picture that’s he’s a bit of a diva.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Please read the whole thing, there’s some other stuff that got cut off. Also a lot more from Z if you are interested in that. It’s a shame all the work someone did to both conduct and translate a two hour interview in Russian doesn’t get credited and all it is a Twitter screencap that everyone sees.

[Trade] Flames acquire rights to Nikita Zadorov for 3rd acquired in Rittich trade - Page 27 - Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Start there and the whole thing is 5 parts over about 5 pages.

There’s a lot about MacKinnon screaming at everyone too and getting into a fight with Z because he lost a camp scrimmage. We know that stuff about him too but it forms a full picture that’s he’s a bit of a diva.
I don’t think Diva is a very good word. In fact I’d say it’s quite wrong. Competitor would be a better word.

I can say with 100% certainty that the general opinion in that room is nothing but love for Mackinnon. I can also say with 100% certainty that when Mackinnon blows up at someone, it’s solved afterward every single time. It might be a little shocking for a teammate the first time or so it happens but they are prepared for it by the captain ahead of time. And once it happens a few times they don’t take it personally. They take it as a lesson and something they learn from. Kids in that room respect the living hell out of Mackinnon and he looks after them, I promise you. He’s just hard on them.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here is the tweet it seems to originate from. Tried to edit it in but it would not let for some reason.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Here is the tweet it seems to originate from. Tried to edit it in but it would not let for some reason.

Look at the date of that post. August 2nd.

Did you really think you were bringing us some groundbreaking information here?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, this has been discussed endlessly at this point.

MacKinnon is a demanding teammate and probably wears on some guys at times, but you need that competitiveness. I think the Avs have a great mix of different kinds of personalities in their leadership group.

I doubt there’s any I’ll-will towards MacK. It sounds like he apologizes if he crosses the line and he’s the first one to stick up for his teammates on the ice.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Yeah, this has been discussed endlessly at this point.

MacKinnon is a demanding teammate and probably wears on some guys at times, but you need that competitiveness. I think the Avs have a great mix of different kinds of personalities in their leadership group.

I doubt there’s any I’ll-will towards MacK. It sounds like he apologizes if he crosses the line and he’s the first one to stick up for his teammates on the ice.
Considering Z literally said it fires him up I have a hard time believing there's any ill will towards MacKinnon in the locker room.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I don’t think Diva is a very good word. In fact I’d say it’s quite wrong. Competitor would be a better word.

I can say with 100% certainty that the general opinion in that room is nothing but love for Mackinnon. I can also say with 100% certainty that when Mackinnon blows up at someone, it’s solved afterward every single time. It might be a little shocking for a teammate the first time or so it happens but they are prepared for it by the captain ahead of time. And once it happens a few times they don’t take it personally. They take it as a lesson and something they learn from. Kids in that room respect the living hell out of Mackinnon and he looks after them, I promise you. He’s just hard on them.

Competitive is good if you channel that competitive fire into actions that help win the game.

Pouting when a pass isn't perfectly tape to tape doesn't help you win games. And yes that quote is talking about practice but we've all seen MacK do that in games too.

There's times where the puck doesn't come to MacK the way he wants or a teammate doesn't do what MacK wanted and you see MacK throw his hands up in the air and stop rather than play hockey.

Reactions: FreshFitted67

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I hate to compare him to the GOAT, but sounds very Michael Jordan-esque. He treated fringe roster players like shit, often got into fistfights with teammates, and pushed his team to their limits, but no one cared because they won.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hate to compare him to the GOAT, but sounds very Michael Jordan-esque. He treated fringe roster players like shit, often got into fistfights with teammates, and pushed his team to their limits, but no one cared because they won.
Even then MJ would apologize after the fact when he knew he crossed the line. It's just how players like this are wired.

One of my really good friends could've gone pro as a goalie in soccer and is the same way whenever we go out and play.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Competitive is good if you channel that competitive fire into actions that help win the game.

Pouting when a pass isn't perfectly tape to tape doesn't help you win games. And yes that quote is talking about practice but we've all seen MacK do that in games too.

There's times where the puck doesn't come to MacK the way he wants or a teammate doesn't do what MacK wanted and you see MacK throw his hands up in the air and stop rather than play hockey.

It can be hard to tell when you’re joking or not lol but I agree with this take regardless. Competitiveness is great and all but it effects his play negatively too much for my liking, I wish he’d find a happy medium. Giving guys a hard time if they’re slacking in practice is needed but Id hope he doesn’t just go off over a missed pass as the main reason…

Reactions: FreshFitted67

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Good stuff, totally can see it happening. If you don't bring it during practice, are you going to bring it during a game? Practices are short for a reason, but the greats know those short practices have to show absolute attention to the details.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->