Zadorov vs McCabe

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why don't you go ahead and break out the proof that Risto was out of shape physically or mentally for his rookie season, you pull that statement out of the air??

Now Zads was pretty much both..

I have to do it again? Once isn't enough?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm very familiar with those quotes and I'm not surprised you used them. Mostly because you don't get the difference between the normal physical development of a rookie NHLer and the issues with Zads. Risto went through the normal process of growth where a young player realizes he need to get stronger, leaner and faster to be more effective at the NHL level. A fairly common thing for a young player to learn as a rookie. But its something they learn while they are playing in the NHL. Not because they weren't in good enough shape to start the season.

Zads wasn't ready to play in the NHL when he came to camp. Not remotely an issue for Risto. Zads had to be worked for almost a month by the coaches and vets outside the normal practices/weight lifting to get him ready to play a NHL game. Thats not remotely normal or something to be excused away because he is 19 or by pretended Risto went through something similar.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how Zads being out of shape or lazy at Traverse City and getting benched for it. Then not being in shape to play in the NHL when he came to camp which led to weeks weeks of remedial contidioning has any parallel to Risto as a rookie. There is no comparison.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Losing the last bit of baby fat that all 18 year olds have is different than coming into camp reportedly 30+ lbs over weight.

Put it this way. Anyone who has a body accustomed to being active and gaining and losing weight regularly (like a Hockey player) should have no problem cutting back 5-10 lbs of fat in 7-10 days. It took Zadorov over a month and a half to get back into game shape. Meaning he wasn't just slightly overweight... he was borderline obese. Considering how poor weight training is in the CHL most of that 240lb weight he came into camp with last season was fat. I have heard very stories of a guy being that out of shape and not having suffered a major lower body injury. It looks very poorly on him, especially when one of his best friends was in North America busting his ass off.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If you really don't understand the difference between "losing the baby fat" and "came into camp at 240 pounds", then I think you're the one that doesn't get it.

Edit: Chadd called it that
He came into camp 20lbs lighter the next year. Cassidy stated he had trouble finishing shifts. Yes. That's out of shape.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Losing the last bit of baby fat that all 18 year olds have is different than coming into camp reportedly 30+ lbs over weight.

Put it this way. Anyone who has a body accustomed to being active and gaining and losing weight regularly (like a Hockey player) should have no problem cutting back 5-10 lbs of fat in 7-10 days. It took Zadorov over a month and a half to get back into game shape. Meaning he wasn't just slightly overweight... he was borderline obese. Considering how poor weight training is in the CHL most of that 240lb weight he came into camp with last season was fat. I have heard very stories of a guy being that out of shape and not having suffered a major lower body injury. It looks very poorly on him, especially when one of his best friends was in North America busting his ass off.

Baby fat again..

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm very familiar with those quotes and I'm not surprised you used them. Mostly because you don't get the difference between the normal physical development of a rookie NHLer and the issues with Zads. Risto went through the normal process of growth where a young player realizes he need to get stronger, leaner and faster to be more effective at the NHL level. A fairly common thing for a young player to learn as a rookie. But its something they learn while they are playing in the NHL. Not because they weren't in good enough shape to start the season.

Zads wasn't ready to play in the NHL when he came to camp. Not remotely an issue for Risto. Zads had to be worked for almost a month by the coaches and vets outside the normal practices/weight lifting to get him ready to play a NHL game. Thats not remotely normal or something to be excused away because he is 19 or by pretended Risto went through something similar.

I'm still waiting for you to explain how Zads being out of shape or lazy at Traverse City and getting benched for it. Then not being in shape to play in the NHL when he came to camp which led to weeks weeks of remedial contidioning has any parallel to Risto as a rookie. There is no comparison.

There most certainly is a parallel. Risto was out of shape...couldnt finish shifts. Coaching staff worked on it with him contrary to your story of "Risto taking it upon himself" .. Risto got a reality check after his 1st professional season in NA. Lets see what Zadorov does with his 2nd year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Risto wasn't out of shape. He just got Jack diesel and shredded physically when he showed up in his 2nd camp . Zadorov on the other hand was out of shape for months and you can tell isn't even close to as dedicated or mature as Risto.

I picked Zadorov for the poll. But Zads isn't even in Ristos hemisphere.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Ristolainen and Zadorov both played in the NHL at 18. Obviously their eligibility situations were different but don't forget, Zadorov wasn't sent back to London on Nov 19 so he'd spent a good six weeks in an NHL organization. One player learned a lesson and the other didn't. You literally cannot use Ristolainen's age-18 season to compare to Zadorov's age-19 year. Frankly it only serves to make Zadorov look worse, IMO.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I thought Risto was playing in a mens league at age 16, that should have aided him. Matured environment, better role models, learning how to be professional at the very least.

Besides, with all the turmoil in the organization last summer, did the team bother to check up on him? Did he have an off-season program? Were expectations laid out for him? If the team gave him no direction and no follow up, they must share the blame. Then again, the team couldn't be bothered to make sure he was cleared to play in juniors, just like he was suspended because a random storm cancelled flights along the coast.

Damn Russian factor, created inept management techniques and closed airports.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I picked Zadorov for the poll. But Zads isn't even in Ristos hemisphere.

Zadorov is in the hemisphere in that he can affect the course of the game with an offensive gallop or a monster hit or a bomb from the point. We saw the flashes last year. There's not tons of guys who can do all of that and they don't grow on trees.

McCabe is further along in his development, and we've seen him do similar things to affect games (WJC, Dan Paille) but Zadorov is certainly doing it more often at a higher level at a younger age, so advantage Z.

Now train these guys up on d-zone play and let's lock down the left side for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad