Zadorov vs McCabe

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The O'Reilly thread had an interesting debate brewing, and one I would like to continue, so I decided to start a thread about it.

McCabe is a very good prospect who had a great college career, and really turned it on in the AHL during the last half of the season. He's undoubtedly the more polished of the two. He seems to be a safe bet to become at the very least a good bottom pairing defenseman. I think there's a strong chance he becomes a good top-4 defenseman in this league.

Zadarov is raw at this point in time, but has a higher ceiling, imo. His size/ physicality/ skating/ shot from the point are all strong points in his game. He has that rare and enticing ability to play nasty and intimidate opposing players. Zads does have some maturing to do both on the rink and off the rink, but there are few players in the league that have his skillset.

Who do you choose to keep if we had to get rid of one?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Why is nobody ever questioning McCabes age?

the dude looks ooooold

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i went with my gut feel that McCabe is going to be a very steady second pair guy. Love Zadorovs ceiling, but still dont have the greatest feeling about his toolbox...and the 'other stuff'.

if one were to be moved, I'd rather sell on that high ceiling right now and recieve the greater return.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Huge Zadorov fan and I expect him to really improve this year. People are impatient with him because he is always compared to Risto. But Risto was more polished and developed when they were drafted and has only made Zadorov look shaky in comparison.

People only remember his wtf moments but he had many stretches of solid play as well.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Total cop out answer: I wouldn't want to move either. :P
Defensive depth is very important to have, and we don't have it (yet), especially not with LHD. Both are very good prospects.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Huge Zadorov fan and I expect him to really improve this year. People are impatient with him because he is always compared to Risto. But Risto was more polished and developed when they were drafted and has only made Zadorov look shaky in comparison.

People only remember his wtf moments but he had many stretches of solid play as well.
Or posters like myself saw a guy that made extremely questionable decisions shift after shift even in Junior.

I don't think Zadorov will ever be a guy capable of being good defensively but also keeping his offensive game. I think it's going to be one or the other for him. If he calms down and becomes good defensively then his offensive game will be take a huge hit. If he doesn't calm down and extends too much offensively I don't think he will ever be good defensively. I think steady but unspectacular is better in today's NHL than a river boat gambler. Guys that know their limits and understand them quickly like Pysyk are going to help you win much more than guys like Zadorov. I'm pretty sure Tim Murray feels the same way since he said "proper self evaluation" was the only thing he cared about in interview.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
i went with my gut feel that McCabe is going to be a very steady second pair guy. Love Zadorovs ceiling, but still dont have the greatest feeling about his toolbox...and the 'other stuff'.

if one were to be moved, I'd rather sell on that high ceiling right now and recieve the greater return.

I voted Zadorov, but you make a good case sir. IF we are to trade one, Zadorov would give a greater return while we're holding on to Safe Bet-McCabe. It's a tough question and I really really want to keep both. I'm still moarning McNabb.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
McCabe is undoubtedly more polished? Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree. McCabe picked up his game late last year, but had some major struggles in the minors. All due respect to McCabe, Zadorov is a better player/prospect, AINEC.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Total cop out answer: I wouldn't want to move either. :P
Defensive depth is very important to have, and we don't have it (yet), especially not with LHD. Both are very good prospects.

I would trade Pysyk over both due to organisational depth... & he is clearly the most developed 'safer' bet at this point in time.

Would agree that both JM & NZ are very good (if not great) prospects but even still there are question marks. I see LD as the only organisational weakness at this point in time.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
I would trade Pysyk over both due to organisational depth... & he is clearly the most developed 'safer' bet at this point in time.

Would agree that both JM & NZ are very good (if not great) prospects but even still there are question marks. I see LD as the only organisational weakness at this point in time.

I would keep Pysyk over both. I would keep Zads over McCabe (and I am still excited about McCabe and like his clutch play and leadership developed in college and tourney play).

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I think Zadorov has the higher ceiling, but is the "riskier" prospect
I think McCabe has the higher floor and is the "safer" prospect

I went McCabe. I think he's going to be an NHLer of some sort, probably either a VERY good 3rd pairing guy or a middle-of-the-road 2nd pairing guy.

So, the question is...if we HAD to keep one, who do I keep? I keep McCabe. He's going to be an NHLer, imo and Zadorov is worth more in a trade.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

I would keep Pysyk over both. I would keep Zads over McCabe (and I am still excited about McCabe and like his clutch play and leadership developed in college and tourney play).

I'm with you, FP - behind Ristolainen, I rank Pysyk above McCabe and Zadorov in that order.

if they both work out and we can keep both. Our defense would be stacked.

Yeah, if only teams clamoring for a young mobile defenseman would see Ruhwedel as an option :sarcasm:

That said, if O'Reilly can't be landed, there doesn't seem like a lot of other scenarios where dealing one of the young defensemen becomes necessary - so they can all stay.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I like both, but Zadrov's already tried to play the Russian factor card..

Did he? The KHL didn't clear him to go back to juniors, not sure if that falls on Zad, his agent, London or the Sabres. Somebody failed to negotiate with the KHL and would imagine the Sabres should have been involved with any negotiation.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There's little doubt that Zadorov is more talented.

McCabe is certainly no slouch. The way I see it:

Zadorov's upside is a top pairing physical d-man. His downside is an inconsistent player who refuses to do the work to stick in the NHL.

McCabe's upside is a #3 d-man who can step into top pair when needed to and will help the PP

His downside is a a bottom pairing/7 guy.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Can't wait to see Zadorov this year. Guy is going to be an absolute stud. All the crap from last year really wasn't that big of a deal, give the kid a break, he's going to be just fine.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
There's little doubt that Zadorov is more talented.

McCabe is certainly no slouch. The way I see it:

Zadorov's upside is a top pairing physical d-man. His downside is an inconsistent player who refuses to do the work to stick in the NHL.

McCabe's upside is a #3 d-man who can step into top pair when needed to and will help the PP

His downside is a a bottom pairing/7 guy.

See, where does this come from? I just don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad