Zadorov or Graves

Who to Keep?

• Total voters

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
Honestly, it probably depends a lot on what we can sign each for, both next year, and over the next several years.

I voted Zads, because I think he truly changes how other teams play the Avs. But I feel like it is much more likely Graves may stay and Z may go, due to salary demands. Graves demands will likely go up a lot due to all the points, but his track record is still short. Z is already making much more, and that may just continue to play a factor in next negotiations. I trust Sakic on that front, but worry about losing the intimidating factors Zadorov brings that few others on the squad bring to a similar level.

Preferably for me, we could somehow keep them both on reasonable contracts for their performance, and then when/if Seattle takes one of them, we've still got the other left to retain a bit of the size and strength on our D.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Zadorov does get moved (which looks likeliest) then perhaps the smart move is to target a near-NHL-ready LHD prospect as the main part of a prospect+pick deal who can be ready in 1-2 years.

That way we can run with Graves/Girard/Byram/Cole at LHD for another year, and then when Byram is ready for top 4 minutes and Graves prices himself out of a 3rd pairing role (either in 2021 or 2022) then we'd have a young LHD ready to step in on the 3rd pairing on an ELC.

2020/212021/222022/23
1st pair LHDGravesByramByram
2nd pair LHDGirardGirardGirard
3rd pair LHDByramGravesGraves / "Prospect"
7DCole"Prospect"xxxxx
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

As for who the "Prospect" target could be, I'd take a look at a few of the names below and see if their teams are interested in Zadorov
  • Matthias Samuelsson, Buffalo
  • Ryan Johnson, Buffalo
  • Jared McIsaac, Detroit
  • Alex Alexeyev, Washington
  • Vladislav Kolyachonok, Florida
  • Max Gildon, Florida
  • Dylan Samberg, Winnipeg
  • Jake Bean, Carolina
  • Matthew Robertson, NYR
  • Samorukov, Edmonton
As an alternative we could look to move Zadorov for a high 2nd in this years draft to grab Ryan O'Rourke, but the timeline for him to be NHL-ready might be a bit longer.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
playoff hockey is just different than regular season hockey......and Z gave us some of the only grit on the ice during the Dallas series.....It's playoff time when you need those type of guys and it's very noticeable if you do not have them.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Z is the better defenseman when he's playing at his very best. But for those long stretches when he's not, Graves is better.

It's really a foregone conclusion who stays and who goes. The grand hope is that Graves (1) doesn't demand a ton this offseason and (2) can finally be settled into a third pairing role during next season.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
When under forecheck pressure, Graves reminds me of Martin Skoula - soft on the puck and turnovers. I'd try Zadorov or Byram with Makar for an extended time next year and see what happens.

Reactions: DinnerMints

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Both. Easily.

Seattle can take one if they want but the Avs need depth for the playoffs and Gravy is good third pairing insurance ideally. You want players like him who can slot into the lineup and not look entirely out of place. When they look like they fit you end up losing them and have Alt/Connauton/Barberio as your depth.

Reactions: klozge

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do you mean forward or defense? I'm confused because you said forward by then mentioned Alzner.
My bad. And thinking on it, I’d rather get a mean forward like a Lucic (not Lucic because he’s got term) but someone with just a year on his contract, same as Cole.

really anyone but Cole for relatively the same cap hit and term.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do you mean forward or defense? I'm confused because you said forward by then mentioned Alzner.
The other deal I’d look at is Rask or Lundquist for Cole and something minor. That way we offer some cap relief for Boston and get rid of the Avs worst player. Maybe Cole and Jost for Rask. Or Cole for Lundquist plus a pick.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The other deal I’d look at is Rask or Lundquist for Cole and something minor. That way we offer some cap relief for Boston and get rid of the Avs worst player. Maybe Cole and Jost for Rask. Or Cole for Lundquist plus a pick.
What do you want Lundqvist for? This isn't 2014.

Unless Rangers are giving us a mega asset and retaining quite a bit on Lundqvist I don't see why we'd even remotely consider it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
One Dman needs to go as Byram will make the team. Ideally, Cole will be traded for a bag of pucks.

Best case scenario, we bring in another top 4D + Byram and trade Cole + Zadorov/Graves.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
What do you want Lundqvist for? This isn't 2014.

Unless Rangers are giving us a mega asset and retaining quite a bit on Lundqvist I don't see why we'd even remotely consider it.

They are taking Cole and his wasted 4.25mm for AHL level play. and I’d ask for something from NYR. A pick or good prospect. Can Lundquist be worse than Frank was in the playoffs? We can’t play Cole again. He’s just worthless at this stage.

And both Cole and Lundquist are in the last year of their deals as negative value assets.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
They are taking Cole and his wasted 4.25mm for AHL level play. and I’d ask for something from NYR. A pick or good prospect. Can Lundquist be worse than Frank was in the playoffs? We can’t play Cole again. He’s just worthless at this stage.

And both Cole and Lundquist are in the last year of their deals as negative value assets.
I think you're overreacting with regards to Cole. And acquiring an over-the-hill goaltender with an $8m caphit isn't the solution. Did you watch Lundqvist in the Carolina series? Pretty shaky..

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006

Cole has been OK, but he's gone after next season I think. That'll give Byram a season in the A and who knows with Timmins. Also don't we have a pretty decent prospect in Helleson coming up along the way, too? Maybe nothing changes. But after Cole ages out and further EJ, I wouldn't mind if the aves made a push for murray and sent one of Girard, Z or Graves to Pitts. I don't think Hank is a good fit for the aves by virtue of longevity, as much as I love and respect his game.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Cole has been OK, but he's gone after next season I think. That'll give Byram a season in the A and who knows with Timmins. Also don't we have a pretty decent prospect in Helleson coming up along the way, too? Maybe nothing changes. But after Cole ages out and further EJ, I wouldn't mind if the aves made a push for murray and sent one of Girard, Z or Graves to Pitts. I don't think Hank is a good fit for the aves by virtue of longevity, as much as I love and respect his game.
One is not like the others.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Byram can't play in the AHL until he's 20, as per the WHL/NHL rules. It's either back to juniors or staying in the NHL for him, though a year in the AHL would have probably suited him best.

Trading Girard would be silly, especially since Pittsburgh have nothing that would be of interest for Girard.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Byram and Timmins, assuming they are healthy, MUST be in the NHL next season. There is nowhere else to go. Cole and one of Zadorov or Graves will be gone. Nothing really has to be done other than that on defense.

Girard-Makar
Zadorov-Timmins
Byram-EJ
MacDonald

Flip Zadorov and Byram mid season.

I don't understand the 3C talk. Just re-sign Namestnikov for that spot and add a top 6 winger like Dadonov.

Burakovsky-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kadri-Dadonov
Nichushkin-Namestnikov-Donskoi
Calvert-Bellemare-Compher
Kaut

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Byram and Timmins, assuming they are healthy, MUST be in the NHL next season. There is nowhere else to go. Cole and one of Zadorov or Graves will be gone. Nothing really has to be done other than that on defense.

Girard-Makar
Zadorov-Timmins
Byram-EJ
MacDonald

Flip Zadorov and Byram mid season.

I don't understand the 3C talk. Just re-sign Namestnikov for that spot and add a top 6 winger like Dadonov.

Burakovsky-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Landeskog-Kadri-Dadonov
Nichushkin-Namestnikov-Donskoi
Calvert-Bellemare-Compher
Kaut
Did you watch our playoff games?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Did you watch our playoff games?

Compher didn't do much of anything. But I'm confident a top 6 winger bumping down Nuke into permanent 3rd line duty would cover for that. Namestnikov had some moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00