Zadorov or Graves

Who to Keep?

• Total voters

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
The Avs need guys who are durable and don’t breakdown by round 1 so the obvious answer is EJ must be moved

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I voted neither, but with Timmins injury possibly being a career ender, you probably have to keep 1. If I have to choose, I choose Graves based solely on cost.

Graves played top 4 minutes essentially as a rookie this year, while Zads was mostly a 3rd pairing guy. Graves will cost less than half of what Zads does too. No way should Joe pay Zads $3.5M-$4M a year to play in the bottom pair.

If he wants to keep Zads, IMO, he needs to unload Cole, and explore trading Graves for some kind of help, like in part of a deal for Danault.

Problem is, no one wants Cole, not at that price, so you either have to eat some of his cap hit, or include a higher pick along with him to get someone to bite.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Advantage Zadorov

• Better defensively than Graves when he's on his game
  • Has shutdown top players in Tkachuk and Seguin in the playoffs before
  • Brings a more dynamic game with his hitting to generate momentum swings
  • Popular guy in the room and keeps guys loose
  • Better point shot though he doesn't use it much

Advantage Graves

• Much more consistent game to game than Z
  • Better relationship with Bednar
  • Has much better chemistry with Makar
  • Might be cheaper than Z to re-sign
  • Better puck handler and passer

I don't think either are with the team long term, but I think you base this on whoever has the higher value in trade. They have to bring in a better partner for Makar though if they're moving Graves. Otherwise it's a no brainer to keep Graves for their chemistry.

Reactions: Richard88

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Advantage Zadorov
Advantage Graves

Good list. Zadorov is also better penalty killer but I would disagree that Graves is better puck handler and passer, even if there's a difference it's negligible. I also would not count on chemistry with Makar - tired how many times Graves ruined our possession by some inaccurate pass or shot, he somehow thinks that his offensive skills are comparable to Makar so he must try to do the same.

In the end, it looks like a choice between 5th D-man (with some PK time) for 4 million a year and Nick Holden Jr.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good list. Zadorov is also better penalty killer but I would disagree that Graves is better puck handler and passer, even if there's a difference it's negligible. I also would not count on chemistry with Makar - tired how many times Graves ruined our possession by some inaccurate pass or shot, he somehow thinks that his offensive skills are comparable to Makar so he must try to do the same.

In the end, it looks like a choice between 5th D-man (with some PK time) for 4 million a year and Nick Holden Jr.

I definitely would like to upgrade on Graves for Makar's partner, if we're going to be pushing Makar into a true top pairing role.

Nobody else aside from Graves (and G but they don't want to do that pair full time) really developed much chemistry with Makar though. Graves just kind of wins by default.

Reactions: AFK

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In a perfect world? Neither.

If we absolutely have to keep one? Zadorov and I don't even think it's close but that's just me. I would bet Sakic feels the complete opposite way as well as Bednar given Graves' usage vs Zadorov's this season.

I think we see Graves extended long term this offseason while Zadorov is given the boot, unfortunately.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I had resigned myself to Z leaving and I can appreciate the reasons why. But having watched Graves throughout the playoffs, I am not quite sure that I would not jettison him this offseason. It appears that Bednar and Pratt are clearly in the "Team Graves" camp and given Z's contract status this off season, I think it is likely a moot point.

I saw signs of the Avs getting pushed around physically in the playoffs at times last year and this year, but Z pushed back and actually played well. I thought he was actually surprisingly good against Nashville the year before.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I had resigned myself to Z leaving and I can appreciate the reasons why. But having watched Graves throughout the playoffs, I am not quite sure that I would not jettison him this offseason. It appears that Bednar and Pratt are clearly in the "Team Graves" camp and given Z's contract status this off season, I think it is likely a moot point.

I saw signs of the Avs getting pushed around physically in the playoffs at times last year and this year, but Z pushed back and actually played well. I thought he was actually surprisingly good against Nashville the year before.
The year the Avs played Nashville Z was our best dman hands down. I was so hyped he could bring that same play into next season consistently but he couldnt.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think I lean towards Graves.

Weird saying that since Zadorov was the better player in the playoffs.

I think if you trade Graves you’re basically forcing yourself to play Makar and Girard together.

When that happens, the Avs second pair is hurt significantly.

If it’s who you want to keep for the 3rd pair I’d probably roll with Zadorov, but for next season I think Graves is more valuable.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
You know what you got in Zadorov. He's a bottom pairing guy who can sometimes elevate his game to a top-4 role (keyword "sometimes"). He brings a physical element depending on his mood. Very inconsistent but not the worst guy to have on the bottom pairing.

Graves was pretty much a rookie this year. He may fall back or he may improve next year. It'd be a mistake to pencil him in as a top-4 guy on the team, but he could potentially grow into it.

I think Zadorov brings more to the team when he's on his game.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Neither. Zadorov will require too much money and I can no longer stand his slow Hockey IQ. Graves has value right now. Move him while you can.

Sign 1 depth UFA D-man (DeMelo) and be done with them.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
For me it's Z and not close. This year Z single handedly shut down McDavid, and has done the same with other top players. Graves' +/- was, in my opinion, a fluke, and had he not had such an inflated +/- he wouldn't be hyped the way he is. This playoffs he showed his true colors, he was out of his depth and doesn't have the game breaker ability Z has.

Now, Z needs to be better and more consistent. I wish I knew how we could get that. He was great in the playoffs I thought. Every Dman had a couple of brainfarts at least, and Z was not immune to them. But he was solid. If this playoffs has shown me anything it's that we need players who can step up in the postseason, not those who can't handle the pressure: see Frank, Graves, Cole, Compher, etc al.

Z is going to be more pricey than we are probably willing to pay though

Reactions: Kaizer

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I feel about Graves the way I fealt about Kerfoot last year. I will be so happy when he's gone.

That doesn't mean I think they should keep Z either. If Z doesn't price himself out of Colorado I'm fine with keeping him for another short contract, but I have a feeling Bednar is ready to move on.

Just add Byram and Timmins and deal with the rookie mistakes next year. They'd still have Johnson, Cole, Girard, and Makar to lean of for experience. Obviously Makar's skill makes up for only a year of experience.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I have to wonder how many of you are basing your opinion on the Dallas series where Graves was "exposed" and Zadorov played really well at times.

I on the other hand remember when it was the common opinion around here that Z should be traded this offseason and Graves is really impressive for a rookie and is a good partner for Makar right now.

Honestly, the speed at which some of you are willing to give up on a rookie is astounding. Maybe we should wait until Graves has played 100 games before we write him off?

Now don't get me wrong, I like Z and I'd be happy with him on the team long term. But 3.2 million is too much for a bottom pair guy, and that's what his qualifying number is. So unless Z is willing to take a big discount from his current salary, it's time to say goodbye.

Graves, meanwhile, could be perfectly good as a depth defenseman for us for many years, and he may actually get better as he gains experience. I see absolutely no reason to move him unless he's the piece that gets us a player we really need.

But please, keep in mind when you're comparing the two that Z has 356 games of NHL experience compared to Graves' 95. They may be the same age, but they're very different in terms of their experience.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
I’d prefer a player that has the ability to elevate his game during the playoffs.

but I’m not ready to give up on graves either: he was very bad in the Dallas series but he played well against arizona. I know I know, lol.

Interesting decisions to be made, really excited to see what the D looks like coming out of camp. If Timmins recovers ok and Byram can outplay someone for a roster spot, I’d almost see girard as the expendable defensemen. That’s not a knock on his play AT ALL. Just the type of defensemen whos roles are filled.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I’d prefer a player that has the ability to elevate his game during the playoffs.

but I’m not ready to give up on graves either: he was very bad in the Dallas series but he played well against arizona. I know I know, lol.

Interesting decisions to be made, really excited to see what the D looks like coming out of camp. If Timmins recovers ok and Byram can outplay someone for a roster spot, I’d almost see girard as the expendable defensemen. That’s not a knock on his play AT ALL. Just the type of defensemen whos roles are filled.

If Sakic trades Girard I'm changing my vote in the 'Sakic as GM' thread to a 1.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
One probably has to go on top of Cole leaving. Who's in the Graves camp? Who's in the Zadorov camp?
Attach an asset and get rid of the disgrace and debacle of a player they used call Ian Cole. Saves the Avs 4.25mm to not throw into the fire the way we did with Coles money this season. He’s the only negative value asset on the team so remove it.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Graves is a passable #4. Zadorov is a good #5 who occasionally peaks up at a top 4 level. I say keep Graves. He was far more consistent this year as a rookie, although with a lower ceiling, and as long as he doesn't have to play on the top pair he is perfectly fine.

I think it's time to just put Girard and Makar together, and start to limit Gravy's minutes. Zadorov is going to regress to an inconsistent bottom pair guy again next year, and he'll be paid way too much for that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad