Zadorov hit to the head on Glendenning. Suspension or no?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

No supplemental discipline.

Stars are a team of p***yes who don't do shit to respond.

This assessment doesn't even make sense lol. The only part they got right was that he took the proper angle of approach to throw the hit. It's quite clear he elevates his shoulder by extending his knees into the hit, and the portion on "hitting through the core (weird word choice)" is the secondary impact after contact primarily occurs to the head. The impact of this hit is essentially the opposite of the excusable hits where initial/majority of the contact occurs through the torso/shoulder and then follows through the head as incidental contact.

If they came out and said Glendenning changed positions and Zadorov did not have time to adjust it would be a more justifiable explanation than whatever word vomit they spit out.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
for the department of player safety, they don't seem to care all that much about player safety

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This assessment doesn't even make sense lol. The only part they got right was that he took the proper angle of approach to throw the hit. It's quite clear he elevates his shoulder by extending his knees into the hit, and the portion on "hitting through the core (weird word choice)" is the secondary impact after contact primarily occurs to the head. The impact of this hit is essentially the opposite of the excusable hits where initial/majority of the contact occurs through the torso/shoulder and then follows through the head as incidental contact.

If they came out and said Glendenning changed positions and Zadorov did not have time to adjust it would be a more justifiable explanation than whatever word vomit they spit out.
Honestly I don't know that he even took the proper angle of approach. It was pretty east-west, which often results in hits to the head with little body contact.

Parros gonna Parros.

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
So, there was more discipline for Benn tickling a guys cheek through the net and more discipline for Namestikov for a clean, through the body check on Johnny G who folded like a lawn chair.

Seems legit.

Dallas has gotten absolutely shafted by the league and the refs in this series, will be monumental if they win the series with the amount of bullshit they are dealing with.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really hate seeing hits like these.

I can see why the NHL doesn't want to suspend: it doesn't really look like Zadorov actively tried to hurt him, it seems accidental. To say nothing of suspending a player for a Game 7...

I'd still suspend though. These hits are awful, there was head contact and serious injury (though that shouldn't matter) and doing nothing makes the League and the sport look bad.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly I don't know that he even took the proper angle of approach. It was pretty east-west, which often results in hits to the head with little body contact.

Parros gonna Parros.
I think at least the argument for proper angle is Zadorov was angled toward where Glendenning was initially moving, but he failed to make an adjustment on the actual hit. I can see the argument in not changing the lateral angle when you're in a crouched position braced for a hit, but he certainly changes his vertical angle right before contact which isn't really excused by Glendenning's change in direction as he's not lowering his own head right before the contact.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Jani Hakanpaa just got the green light to throw a check right to the head of Gaudreau tomorrow if he wants to. He's taller, it's unavoidable.

League says it's okay

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I really hate seeing hits like these.

I can see why the NHL doesn't want to suspend: it doesn't really look like Zadorov actively tried to hurt him, it seems accidental. To say nothing of suspending a player for a Game 7...

I'd still suspend though. These hits are awful, there was head contact and serious injury (though that shouldn't matter) and doing nothing makes the League and the sport look bad.

Shouldn't even be a factor, and I hope the league didn't take that into account.

Clear headshot, and the department of player safety is talking about what a great hit it was.

I don't get it. :dunno:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So, there was more discipline for Benn tickling a guys cheek through the net and more discipline for Namestikov for a clean, through the body check on Johnny G who folded like a lawn chair.

Seems legit.

Dallas has gotten absolutely shafted by the league and the refs in this series, will be monumental if they win the series with the amount of bullshit they are dealing with.
Benn slew foot two Flames and poked another guy on the face with his stick. Nothing was done

You have a better point if you don’t bring in Benn. He is a dirty old man

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
That's kind of a joke call by DOPS. Clear headshot and it looks like Glendening is completely out of it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Jani Hakanpaa just got the green light to throw a check right to the head of Gaudreau tomorrow if he wants to. He's taller, it's unavoidable.

League says it's okay
He doesn’t do that because he has Robertson on his team

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

League says it's okay
Honestly, yes. It's been legal to hit Gaudreau ever since he came into the league, and hitting him hard is usually going to lead to head contact due to his size.

This is no different to what Kassian basically said after getting run over by Tkachuk 4 times in the same game. "Guess I know I'm allowed to make these hits now." Do you know how many such hits Kassian has ever managed against Calgary?

I for one am surprised that Zadorov didn't get suspended for this, but I'm guessing that the reason is based on how Glendening's body momentum completely stopped due to the hit, which they took as evidence that it was through him and not just picking the head (which leads to torque and more of a rotational effect). They also may have believed that Glendening's very subtle stop-up provided enough of a difference in position to put the head in harm's way. I dunno.

I just feel that if you think that Calgary is going to skate around head down allowing themselves to get lit up, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The reason that Gaudreau hasn't taken many hard hits in his career isn't because the opposition doesn't think they're allowed to hit him.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly, yes. It's been legal to hit Gaudreau ever since he came into the league, and hitting him hard is usually going to lead to head contact due to his size.

This is no different to what Kassian basically said after getting run over by Tkachuk 4 times in the same game. "Guess I know I'm allowed to make these hits now." Do you know how many such hits Kassian has ever managed against Calgary?

I for one am surprised that Zadorov didn't get suspended for this, but I'm guessing that the reason is based on how Glendening's body momentum completely stopped due to the hit, which they took as evidence that it was through him and not just picking the head (which leads to torque and more of a rotational effect). They also may have believed that Glendening's very subtle stop-up provided enough of a difference in position to put the head in harm's way. I dunno.

I just feel that if you think that Calgary is going to skate around head down allowing themselves to get lit up, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. The reason that Gaudreau hasn't taken many hard hits in his career isn't because the opposition doesn't think they're allowed to hit him.
Gaudreau even sells shoulder to shoulder hits as head contact, gets slashed in one arm and shakes the other trying to sell the call, yet he still gets the benefit of the doubt.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Like I said... it's a complete crap shoot. They just make shit up all the time.

No one knows what the decision will be anymore... it's comical!

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why'd they even call him in? Probably the third or fourth time he's done this, this year. Everyone applauded the others.

Height difference was just more this time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad