Zadorov having DoPS hearing for check to the head of Lucas Raymond (suspended 2 games)

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
I don't think it was intentional either. But intent doesn't matter. Zadorov took a bad angle of approach, picked Raymond's head and hit little of his body. That's a headshot by rule 48.1.

If you expect him to make a hit in this situation every time you better hope he takes a direct line square to the opponent's body because if he keeps trying to time an east-west hit like this he's going to pass Marchand in suspensions.
So we both agree it was a head shot but not intentional .

Obviously I want him to make a clean hit. I want people to think twice before crossing the blueline like that. I don't want to see anyone hurt. It was a hit gone bad. I just disagree with a few takes in here saying it was dirty like it he went head hunting.

He is a known opportunistic hitter that is known for going for big hits. Players should know that and protect themselves. I hope Raymond learned from this hit because this kind of lack of awareness can end careers early as we have seen.

And for what It's worth Detroit is my 2nd favorite team. I'm not hating on them. I've got like 4 Datsyuk jerseys in my closet. I f***s with them.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Not saying it wasn't dangerous in how it clipped Raymond given how his head whipped back. It's just unfortunate that for Zadorov it's almost like he gets penalized for being big (if you watch the video you see that, in order to explode into the hit he had to first squat and then slightly burst outward, and with the route he took and height of his shoulder it happened to catch the shorter Raymond's head). I think the primary contact was between Raymond's chin and sternum but it did catch his chin, hence head contact. For Zadorov though I'm not sure there's a way for his hit to not viewed as illegal or dangerous (if he hit Raymond on the shoulder he would have sent him flying, and even if he caught Raymond squarely on the chest it would've been a "Campbell on Umberger" moment). In short there's no way that could've ended well for Z.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Don't like these calls against other teams so I certainly don't like them here. If you want guys to skate around the ice completely unimpeded, just say so.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't like these calls against other teams so I certainly don't like them here. If you want guys to skate around the ice completely unimpeded, just say so.
For me if the league wants to remove the chance of injury then just remove both checking and fighting from the game entirely.

As far as I am aware - Zadorov is a physical guy, but doesn’t have the history of cheap shots, or head hunting. In this case if you slow down the video, or freeze frame it - you could make a case for a permanent ban…

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am impressed.. Trouba, Dillon and now this. 3 consecutive calls by DOPS within reasonable range. That's great. Now let's see what Reilly gets. Be consistent and watch the headshots go away.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The vast majority of head shots like this aren't intentional -- it's a fast game, and they miss. But they should be punished, because punishing them probably reduces their frequency by making players more cautious.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
T
I also think they got the Gallagher one right as well. His was an actual elbow.
That one was brutal! 5 games may have been low. But you're right, that's 4 in a row that would appear to suggest they are taking headshots more seriously.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Honestly surprised he got even a major penalty. Barely touches his head. It's more of a grazing blow which is why Raymond had to literally sell his injury and was getting into scrums 15 minutes later after his time was up.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
So we both agree it was a head shot but not intentional .

Obviously I want him to make a clean hit. I want people to think twice before crossing the blueline like that. I don't want to see anyone hurt. It was a hit gone bad. I just disagree with a few takes in here saying it was dirty like it he went head hunting.

He is a known opportunistic hitter that is known for going for big hits. Players should know that and protect themselves. I hope Raymond learned from this hit because this kind of lack of awareness can end careers early as we have seen.

And for what It's worth Detroit is my 2nd favorite team. I'm not hating on them. I've got like 4 Datsyuk jerseys in my closet. I f***s with them.
Why doesn't Zadorov need to take precautions to make sure he hits cleanly? Why is it on the guy that had the puck?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
There wasn’t any malicious intent here, but it was kind of a poorly executed hit. Players need to be in control, and in this case, he wasn’t, so there should be consequences to that.

To those saying hits like this should be double digits, and that is what it will take to execute a change, I disagree. I feel these sorts of hits still happen, but they are way down from where they were 10 years ago. If you start handing out 10 game suspensions for accidental head contact where the player returns a couple shifts later, that will impact the game in a negative way. Players won’t even make hits any more… I don’t think we want that either. What they are doing is working, just keep at it and be consistent.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad