Zadorov comments on Mackinnon’s training, leadership style

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
He needs to learn to attenuate that. It sounds like he only knows how to lead people who match his profile. This presents a problem for building a winning team, as the potential talent pool is drastically reduced since there will be a lot of great performers who will completely shut down/tune out under that sort of regime.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Good.
Dealing with this team when Duchene was leading the pack made me want to jump off a bridge.
It took a hardass like Mackinnon to pull the Avalanche out of the loser mentality of the early-mid 2010s. I'm more than happy if it pushes away players who are in it to party onto those other loser/middling teams in the league, bring on more winners like Mack please.

(also come back Big Z, i miss you.)
You act like this is the only way you can be if the goal is to win. It sure seems like other teams around the league (who actually have won) manage to keep people engaged without being insufferable tyrants.

member 298589

So what.

Mitch Marner has a dedicated friends list for Fortnite. He pays himself $1000 a day to buy video games. He got rid of all of the contact jerseys in practice and replaced them with blouses. He also demands all of the rookie TML players put up giant pictures of money bags above their locker room seat. And if they don't listen, he shouts they're never going to get to play on "my powerplay".

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Some of you guys need to remember, this is an interview. Not an investigative journalistic piece. Some of this stuff maybe exaggerated. Some of it might have been a one off thing. It's Zadorov telling stuff to a Russian hockey audience. Also, MacK wasn't the only player he spoke of in that interview. He had lots of stories.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Seems like this kind of mindset can lead to burnout. Consider that for three seasons now, Colorado hasn't made it out of the 2nd round, and Mackinnon notably has more-or-less been shutdown in the latter half of those series.
Isn’t that losing in round one or two more on Salic and his inability to get enough good players supporting Mac?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You don’t think Matthews and Marner aren’t living the same life this summer?

Weast

May 16, 2011
You act like this is the only way you can be if the goal is to win. It sure seems like other teams around the league (who actually have won) manage to keep people engaged without being insufferable tyrants.
It isn't the only way to win, but I think it is necessary to pull teams like the Avalanche out of the complete loser mentality that they were in just a few years ago.

Some teams can coast with talent and a healthy/balanced mindset, some teams need a hard reset and a kick in the ass.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Some of you guys need to remember, this is an interview. Not an investigative journalistic piece. Some of this stuff maybe exaggerated. Some of it might have been a one off thing. It's Zadorov telling stuff to a Russian hockey audience. Also, MacK wasn't the only player he spoke of in that interview. He had lots of stories.

Wrong. It is now established that MacK is a psycho.

:sarcasm:

But honestly, if the passing thing is true, even if only a little bit exaggerated, I think that is just garbage behavior.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
This is what it takes to be the best. It makes his teammates better. The only drawback is that other top players might not like it.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
The players that make the NHL are exceptional athletes and competitors, they didn't get there by slacking off and being unable to take criticism. They had to want to be the very best and dedicated their lives to the cause, now they're making millions of dollars to play a sport. It's simply not in them to say "I made it to the big leagues, I can take it easy now". Greatness is a mindset, and most often in this sport, the team that's better prepared is the team that wins. Teams that don't have leadership or accountability sink. Elite military recruits don't whine when they get yelled at by their drill instructor or commanding officer - they know that discipline and teamwork is what is going to accomplish what needs to get done. If you get paid millions of dollars to compete in sport, there should be no excuses to chase the championship with everything you've got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad