Recalled/Assigned: Zadorov and Bigras Recalled from San Antonio | Gormley Sent To SA

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It is the smart thing to do but not when they do it at the same time for both of them. Roy doesn't like to play dmen without experience at the same time. If he wanted to see what we have in them he would call them up at separate time to evaluate them not together. That's why this is scaring me.

That is my fear as well. Bringing up just Zads or Bigras? Alright, that makes good sense. Bring up BOTH? That just seems so un-Roy like. This is the guy who has clung to his veteran defensmen as much as he possibly can, and now it appears he is going to stick two 20 year olds in the roster simultaneously? I sincerely hope this is just to see what we can expect in the future / if they can improve our D core now, but I am worried, especially since Drouin is available and Tampa apparently wants Dumba from Minny (therefore looking for young defensmen).

Let us hope I am wrong. Anyways, really really pumped for the next few games now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If people want to trade for Zadorov and Bigras, they have scouted them in the AHL. It's not like a game or two in the NHL will give any significant new information.

I can see the need to showcase a guy that's been injured or scratched a lot and the other team wants to know where their skating and conditioning is at, but I think 29 teams already have a clear view on Bigras/Zadorov. It's not the 80s anymore. Every game is filmed and teams have access to them, even in AHL/CHL.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Also, does anyone still think Siemens has a shot in this organization? It won't surprise me if he's the guy sent out.

Roy is talking in 20 minutes or so. Let's see how he explains the moves.

Still legitimately surprised people think showcasing is a thing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
We were playing 3 waiver wire defensemen at the same time. We've given up 3+ goals in 7 of the last 8, and 10 total in the last 2 games.

Something had to give. They probably won't play together, but we absolutely needed to change out at least 2 D. The fact they're 20 doesn't matter. They're the most talented D beyond the top 3 guys we have in the organization. At some point, you have to play them, and see what you have.

When EJ gets healthy:

Frankie - EJ
Bigras - Barrie
Holden - Zadorov
Bodnarchuck

Redmond shot out of a cannon in a general direction of Alamo.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If people want to trade for Zadorov and Bigras, they have scouted them in the AHL. It's not like a game or two in the NHL will give any significant new information.

I can see the need to showcase a guy that's been injured or scratched a lot and the other team wants to know where their skating and conditioning is at, but I think 29 teams already have a clear view on Bigras/Zadorov. It's not the 80s anymore. Every game is filmed and teams have access to them, even in AHL/CHL.

What are you trying to say?

benning__1_.0.jpg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We were playing 3 waiver wire defensemen at the same time. We've given up 3+ goals in 7 of the last 8, and 10 total in the last 2 games.

Something had to give. They probably won't play together, but we absolutely needed to change out at least 2 D. The fact they're 20 doesn't matter. They're the most talented D beyond the top 3 guys we have in the organization. At some point, you have to play them, and see what you have.
But from what we have seen from Roy so far, no he didn't have to switch 2 dmen. He could have called up only one of them, evaluate him and if he is ready then maybe call up the other if still need be. But both at the same time really goes against Roy's MO.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I was going to come in here today and go on a rant about Roy and his decision making when it came to the defense. I was going to make the point that most teams when they are having injury issues or competency issues in a specific area call upon their young guns in the AHL to step up, not go get waiver wire fodder and hope that they can become 1st pairing guys, or force square pegs (Guenin, Redmond) into round holes. Most teams make decisions to help the team and sometimes that involves letting your young guys come in and do their job. Especially when they are clearly ready for a specific role and are much better than what you've been rolling with. There is no way, on any planet, that you could convince me that Bodnarchuk, Guenin, or Redmond would be a better solution than Zadorov or Bigras or Siemens or Noreau and list could probably go on.

Roy and Sakic were clearly trying to force something that just wouldn't fit. They've finally realized this by making this move today. Thank goodness this move is coming now and not a month from now when we could be completely out of it.

Am I saying that I think Zadorov and Bigras are going to be the saviors of the team. No way. Are they going to have some young guy growing pains, for sure. But if they can come in a play a game that is somewhat similar to what they've shown down in San Antonio, then it could go a long way to helping stabilize a really weak defense.

Now it's on Roy to make sure that these guys get plenty of opportunity to showcase what they can bring to the table. Meaning don't bench them or send them back, just accept that it's not going to be perfect day one and roll with the punches. It's also on Roy to make sure that they get plenty of on ice opportunity as well. Give them partners that can hide some of the young guy stuff. My suggestions would be split up Beauchemin and EJ (when he is healthy) and partner one with Zadorov and one with Bigras. This would go a long way to help them adjust to the NHL level.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
But from what we have seen from Roy so far, no he didn't have to switch 2 dmen. He could have called up only one of them, evaluate him and if he is ready then maybe call up the other if still need be. But both at the same time really goes against Roy's MO.
Picking up a guy off waivers and playing him 16-17 minutes immediately is against his MO too. No one knows what's going on.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Also, does anyone still think Siemens has a shot in this organization? It won't surprise me if he's the guy sent out.

Roy is talking in 20 minutes or so. Let's see how he explains the moves.

Still legitimately surprised people think showcasing is a thing.

He's sadly done and I'd really like my favorite teams to stop taking my Blades, all of Elliott, Dunc, Thrower and Scherbak don't look too hot right now.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Maybe he finally realized that the kid might be better than career AHLers? There will be a lot of ups and downs, but I'd rather have them make mistakes than watch Guenin, Redmond and Bodnarchuck on the ice.
You are right but again why at the same time. Something doesn't look right here.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs are winning the cup.

You heard it here first :handclap::sarcasm:

No seriously. I like it. Now Roy just has to play them.

Give Barrie a chance to prove with Beauch that he can be a top pairing guy in this league and finally stop the AHL D love affair.

I won't be completely satisfied until Dean names Guenin his captain, though.

I really want Bigras to get real PK time and Zadorov to get real PP time. Let them show what they have got.

Not like our defense was worth a damn over the last few games without EJ.

Just hope that Erik will be back soon and that the right moves will be made afterwards.

Might be time for:

Beauchemin-EJ
Bigras-Barrie
Zadorov - Holden.

Damn the results. I just want to see those pairings for 10 games +

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Pretty good news.

Colorado has been getting zilch from it's bottom pairing. I don't know if both guys will crack the line-up right away but I'd like to see it.

For next game, realistically:

Holden - Barrie
Beauchemin - Bordnarchuk/Bigras
Zadorov - Redmond

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
lol Redmond's going to be so pissed if he comes out of the lineup for these useless, inexperienced kids. Redmond's a top 4 D, don't you know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dear god I hope they don't stick Zads with Redmond. If he can't get Holden then at least give him Bods-by-chuck. Ideally if both kids were to play it'd be something like:

Beauch - Barrie
Zadorov - Holden
Bigras - NewBalls/Stuart/Redmond

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'll be interested in seeing if they get PP or PK time. Guenin gone means they need someone on the PK for sure. Zadorov was on pace for 20+ goals in the AHL. I feel like it would be a waste to not give him a chance there.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I wont say its desperate but it does feel like a "its really the only thing we can do to get back on track" kind of thing. They've made up alot of ground in the standings and the only reason they are still there is because both WPG and NSH have lost their last couple of games in reg as well.
They are probably freaking out a bit and seeing as how they cant make a big trade without giving up a good asset. They are trying this and seeing if it works.
At least until EJ comes back.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'm am unreasonable excited about all of this. Guenin waived, Bigras and Zads up. It's a miracle!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Roy said the best thing for their development was spending the full season in San Antonio. We win a few games, the rivals lose a few games, and suddenly we're in a wild card spot. It's possible that Roy didn't expect us to be in this situation when Zadorov was sent down a few months ago, and he actually does believe they are better players than Guenin/Gormley/Redmond/etc. Now, given we are in a decent spot, Roy feels Bigras and Zadorov make us a better team, give us a better chance of winning games, and is willing to deal with growing pains from dudes with far more potential to contribute than the career AHLers. Far fetched, but possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad