Zadina

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
If Mantha gets the ok from Stevie to play on Saturday and AA plays I hope Zadina doesn't get sent down this weekend. I wouldn't mind the Zadina, Mantha and Filppula line.

Reactions: hkydave04

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019

The bounce on the shot may have been a fortunate one, but I wouldn't call this assist "lucky," he generated this scoring chance with a beauty of a pass.

It was a nifty little pass that went through a couple of defenders and was right where it needed to be. Still a lucky point, though, because that puck should not have gone in the net. Fabbri did not even take a shot. He was moving the puck toward the blue line when it bounced off Pionk.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It was a nifty little pass that went through a couple of defenders and was right where it needed to be. Still a lucky point, though, because that puck should not have gone in the net. Fabbri did not even take a shot. He was moving the puck toward the blue line when it bounced off Pionk.

It's a lucky goal, but you can't discredit Zadina's execution of the pass that led to it. The quality of his play isn't determined by the result on the score sheet or the amount of luck that gets it there, yet that's how myopic your analysis appears to be.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
It's a lucky goal, but you can't discredit Zadina's execution of the pass that led to it. The quality of his play isn't determined by the result on the score sheet or the amount of luck that gets it there, yet that's how myopic your analysis appears to be.

It is simple logic. If the puck should not have gone in the net, then any point from it is lucky.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It is simple logic. If the puck should not have gone in the net, then any point from it is lucky.

And that is held against Zadina because...? Some people try to breakdown Zadina's play, and here you are trying to discredit him because a pass deflected off a defender into the net.

You can remove the result and have a less biased perspective on whether or not it was a quality play by Zadina. He shouldn't be assessed by the counting stats, but rather watching to ensure he's doing the right things and creating opportunities. It's that simple.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zadina a confirmed bust, because he got a lucky assist, you heard it hear first!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Welp, I guess the lucky ones make up for when a guy has a surefire goal and shoots it wide or back into the goalie.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Some Oiler fan thinks we would trade Zadina 1 to 1 for Puljujarvi! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I was really impressed last game.

He’s been faster, harder on the puck and a lot more calm. He still makes the occasional bad pass or still may hang on to the puck more than he’d like, but he’s improved exponentially.

I’m starting to think he can be a much better playmaker too. He’s still interesting because I still can’t see what his true upside is.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Hockey is a game of percentages. The more good things you do, the better your chance of the percentages being in your favour (or "lucky").

A huge number of goals in hockey are "lucky". Rebounds, deflections, ricochets, bad bounces...the more plays you make like Zadina did, the more chance you have of getting those "lucky" goals.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Exactly why I would rather him playing top line minutes with decent teammates in Grand Rapids than Blashill putting him on a line with Glendening and Helm
There's a reason those players are in Grand Rapids while Helm and Glendening are in Detroit. Just because someones a top six forward in the AHL doesn't mean they have the skills of someone in the show. It all really comes down to the match up, Zadina's playing easier competition in GR so his stats might look better.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
He still hasn't scored a goal 5 on 5 yet in nearly 20 games. Still expecting a lot more from this guy. Last game was a start in the right direction.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He still hasn't scored a goal 5 on 5 yet in nearly 20 games. Still expecting a lot more from this guy. Last game was a start in the right direction.

He'll score his goals, eventually, I'd say.
But I'm not impressed by the 3-point game.
Lots of really fortunate breaks.

If you think that's a result of "percentages," I don't think you understand percentages very well.
Zadina is averaging 5.73 shots per 60.
That ranks 11th among Red Wings forwards.
Svech 13.91
Mantha 8.91
Larkin 8.72
AA 7.71
Perlini 7.62
Fabbri 6.99
Nielsen 6.79
Erne 6.55
Bertuzzi 6.54
Smith 6.1
Zadina 5.73
Glendening 5.53
Abdelkader 4.94
Dela Rose 4.73
Hirose 4.04
Filppula 3.17
Ehn 2.51

Last year he was at 4.72 (23rd on the team). So he is improving.

On the powerplay, Zadina's shot rate is solid. 10.6 makes him 5th on the team.

Zadina hasn't done much at 5 on 5.
I don't mind if Detroit keeps him up and if his development continues at the NHL level.
If that's what's best for his development, do it. Who cares about the ELC sliding?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think Zadina skates fast enough to be a regular NHL player. He's constantly chasing the play.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't think Zadina skates fast enough to be a regular NHL player. He's constantly chasing the play.

Zadina has already proven he is an NHL player. Even if he never developed past this point, he will be a future 2nd/3rd line tweener. Not what you want from a #6 overall pick and not what I believe he will become but to argue he won't be an NHL player? He has skill, a shot, instincts and some under rated physical tools. Give him another year or 2 in the gym to improve that first step and he's a really good player. He has the talent to make plays but often doesn't have the seperation, I think if he improves that step he puts up points long term.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina has now 6+8=14 points in first 28 career games.

5th best pts/game (0.50) from his draft class.

As a comparison, Gustav Nyquist had 2+8=10 points in his first 28 career games and was 3 years older on that point. Tomas Tatar had 6+4=10 points in his first 28 games and was almost 3 years older too.

So he is scoring goals like Tatar and getting assists like Nyquist at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tetsuo and Lil Bert

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Sucks he’s strapped to that second line. Feel like it’s holding him back of any (more) potential he can show this year. At least he’s seeing PP1 time now.

Been impressed that he’s producing with what he’s playing with.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
This summer, if he works on his foot speed, especially his explosiveness, that will get him to the next tier. Doesn't seem to be able to open up space with the speed he has currently. Hes picking good spots to be in and he gets there so its great for set plays but getting his foot speed up will allow him to drive the line more.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Sucks he’s strapped to that second line. Feel like it’s holding him back of any (more) potential he can show this year. At least he’s seeing PP1 time now.

Been impressed that he’s producing with what he’s playing with.

Honestly, Filppula isn't a bad center for him, it's just the revolving door that is the other wing. It's been Erne, Glendening, Helm, etc.

Reactions: LazyT

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He looks completely different even than he did in preseason. Very impressive and surprising the progression he's shown since.

Reactions: Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Out of the draft options who would y’all like to see most with Zadina

Lafreniere would probably be the best at getting him the puck. Byfield would create a lot of space for him. Raymond is a great set-up man and opposite handedness, so it would be great to have them on the same PP unit.

Probably those 3 for me. Holtz is probably the guy most similar to Zadina in this draft for me, which is not a bad thing, but I do feel his skill set is redundant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad