Zadina

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You probably have someone on ignore. When asked who is Newhook (by ZadinaNotBustina), I shared Newhook's EliteProspects link, to which the response was "hmm seems like a bust."

I believe he was the last cut in the Canada camp for the WJC.

I think Raty and the littlest Hughes are in front of Johnson for 21, but still pretty far off. I of course would love to finally get our Hughes brother in Luke.

You have to be patient with prospects. Zadina is an example of that. He is developing nicely.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I think Raty and the littlest Hughes are in front of Johnson for 21, but still pretty far off. I of course would love to finally get our Hughes brother in Luke.

You have to be patient with prospects. Zadina is an example of that. He is developing nicely.

I don't know why you are so hung up on the Hughes family, I mean, they are a lot like designer handbags, if you look hard enough, you can find a knock off for cheap in a few years after they are released...

Jack Hughes at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: ricky0034

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Lots of good LHD should be available next year. Hopefully can find a partner for Hronek/Seider in that class. Hughes, Power, Lambos, Chayka and others are all highly regarded.

Reactions: Marky9er

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Out of the draft options who would y’all like to see most with Zadina
My three choices would be Raymond, Stutzle and Lafreniere. Raymond shoots left and is a cerebral player that sets up his linemates. He has the plus puck skills he needs to make space for Zadina, then get him the puck to snipe.
Stutzle seems like a less effective and creative passer than Raymond, but he makes up for it with his speed. The most likely of these three to play C, I think Stutzle would be the best for carrying the puck up ice for Zadina. Maybe they'd be less of a force in the O-zone once there, but I don't want to undersell Stutzle's offensive instincts either, I just think they're behind Raymond and Lafreniere. Having plus speed also helps cover Zadina's biggest weakness IMO.
Lastly there is Lafreniere whom is essentially just such a complete player that he will make anyone around him better. He's so hard on the puck that, Zadina could count on Lafreniere to carry the puck and create space like with Stutzle but without him having to race up the ice to do it. He also has the offensive awareness and passing ability that Zadina would routinely receive the puck in the perfect spots on the ice, even if no one else would know he was there. Honestly, Laf's awareness, strength and passing could make him a complete nightmare with just about anyone, but a toolsy sniper like Zadina especially benefit.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My three choices would be Raymond, Stutzle and Lafreniere. Raymond shoots left and is a cerebral player that sets up his linemates. He has the plus puck skills he needs to make space for Zadina, then get him the puck to snipe.
Stutzle seems like a less effective and creative passer than Raymond, but he makes up for it with his speed. The most likely of these three to play C, I think Stutzle would be the best for carrying the puck up ice for Zadina. Maybe they'd be less of a force in the O-zone once there, but I don't want to undersell Stutzle's offensive instincts either, I just think they're behind Raymond and Lafreniere. Having plus speed also helps cover Zadina's biggest weakness IMO.
Lastly there is Lafreniere whom is essentially just such a complete player that he will make anyone around him better. He's so hard on the puck that, Zadina could count on Lafreniere to carry the puck and create space like with Stutzle but without him having to race up the ice to do it. He also has the offensive awareness and passing ability that Zadina would routinely receive the puck in the perfect spots on the ice, even if no one else would know he was there. Honestly, Laf's awareness, strength and passing could make him a complete nightmare with just about anyone, but a toolsy sniper like Zadina especially benefit.
I'll settle for anyone that can complete a pass, and maybe that kid can teach the rest of the team because the coaches can't. Only on this team can an 18 YO rookie be elevated to player/coach.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He looks completely different even than he did in preseason. Very impressive and surprising the progression he's shown since.

Agree. It's amazing how he's carrying himself compared to preseason, night and day difference. Zadina is winning battles and completing skilled plays already, to me it's proof he has a bright NHL future.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll settle for anyone that can complete a pass, and maybe that kid can teach the rest of the team because the coaches can't. Only on this team can an 18 YO rookie be elevated to player/coach.

I don't know, we still don't know for sure that Bylsma and Houda couldn't suit up for us if we need them. Then we have 3 player coaches, :DD!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zadina positions pretty good on Red Wings internal Points/60 and Goals/60.

Season 2019-10, Points/60:
1. Mantha - 2.68
2. Fabbri - 2.35
3. Zadina - 2.33
4. Bertuzzi - 2.17
5. Larkin - 2.00
6. Athanasiou - 1.90
7. Hirose - 1.49
8. DeKeyser - 1.39
9. Hronek - 1.38
10. De la Rose - 1.25

Season 2019-10, Goals/60:
1. Mantha - 1.34
2. Zadina - 1.32
3. Bertuzzi - 1.03
4. Fabbri - 1.02
5. Smith 0.78
5. Larkin - 0.72
7. Glendening - 0.60
8. Helm - 0.55
9. Athanasiou - 0.50
10. Hronek - 0.47

This is kind of a good indicator of our best offensive players. Top6 in Points/60 is pretty much our current Top6. There's a big drop after those guys. Then you can extend it from goals area, with names like Givani Smith. Smith's net-front abilities and special team skills are pushing a guy Abdelkader towards a buyout. Later Zadina goals against Minnesota was all Givani Smith's demolition derby in front of the net.

Bertuzzi - Larkin --- Mantha
Fabbri ---- XXX --- Zadina
<---- (if not Lafreniere, hopefully a center from 2020 draft)
Athanasiou - XXX - XXX <---- (Rasmussen & Veleno)
Hirose -- Glendening -- Smith
(Ehn, defensive role extra forward, rotates with Hudle.... I mean Hirose)
(Svechnikov, a spare part, if he ever pans out)

If you want to fill those future XXXs, insert 2020 Top5 pick (Lafreniere/Byfield/Stutzle), Rasmussen, and Veleno there. And there it is. You can change the roster balance by trading a guy like Athanasiou for different position player, but that's the base we are building around.

Then there's Berggrens, Söderbloms, Mastrosimones, Grewes coming later in the future, making a push. Worse players will drop out. Everybody does not pan out.

One line of talent is missing. Also, would be nice to see whole group together at same time. That hasn't happened yet. Always 1-2 guys injured/on minors.

I think our offense is just fine, after we rebuild the defence and get some serious goaltending. No more pure jokes like Howard currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin2AA

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Eddie O hates the Wings. As for Pierre, a consistent 30 goal scorer would be one of the best goal scorers in the league

There has been 33 players able to score 60 or more goals during last 2 years.

I don't think "a consistent 30 goal scorer" level is tough to reach with nowadays higher scoring levels.

Johan Franzen would easily pot 35-40 in these days, when in older NHL he did never reach that 30, also thanks to injuries.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Season 2019-10, Goals/60:
1. Mantha - 1.34
2. Zadina - 1.32
3. Bertuzzi - 1.03
4. Fabbri - 1.02
What's his goals/60 if you don't decide to do this the day after he scores 2 lucky goals?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What's his goals/60 if you don't decide to do this the day after he scores 2 lucky goals?

Something at the level of Bertuzzi/Fabbri (~1.02).

Also Zadina had highest power-play Goals For numbers before the Wild game. And added one goal with that crappy second unit.

He is getting things done better than anybody else. Like, the first goal was a great assist attempt towards Bertuzzi, just bounced in. Maybe Bertuzzi would have scored on that anyways.

Some goals are lucky, some are like this. Real SNIPES.

Just shoot the puck, things happen. Bounces happen. Won't happen without trying.

Reactions: ealong59

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

They weren't lucky. Goal scorers score like that. Both big and little Bert live(d) off of deflections, garbage goals and lucky goals. They don't count for less. Just because they weren't highlight reel snipes doesn't negate them.

Reactions: ealong59

styleisle

Dec 17, 2010
Portland, OR
Why are we devaluing the fact that Zadina scored two goals last night? It's honestly disgusting how much effort some people on this board put into putting down Zadina.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Better question: what's his goals/60 if you individually assign each goal a luck weight factor of 0-1 depending on an objective analysis of how lucky each is?

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
IMO Zadina isn't really going to shine until he gets another high IQ player to play with, he consistently makes little passes to teammates that they never seem to be expecting. Like his pass last night from behind the net to Larkin out front, I was surprised larks was ready for it. But he seems to make good passes like that in the offensive zone every other game but very rarely is anyone ready for it let alone capitalize on it. If he fills out more and potentially adds a little better acceleration to his skating, I don't see why he couldn't be a consistent 25-35 goal, 30-40 assist guy.

also, if you shoot the puck enough you are bound to score lucky/fluky goals. I don't see that as a negative as this team needs more players putting pucks on net cause as the saying goes, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Any player in the league scoring 20+ goals in a season is bound to get a couple "lucky" bounces, so who cares if they happen twice in one game?

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Something at the level of Bertuzzi/Fabbri (~1.02).

Also Zadina had highest power-play Goals For numbers before the Wild game. And added one goal with that crappy second unit.

He is getting things done better than anybody else. Like, the first goal was a great assist attempt towards Bertuzzi, just bounced in. Maybe Bertuzzi would have scored on that anyways.

Some goals are lucky, some are like this. Real SNIPES.

Just shoot the puck, things happen. Bounces happen. Won't happen without trying.

They weren't lucky. Goal scorers score like that. Both big and little Bert live(d) off of deflections, garbage goals and lucky goals. They don't count for less. Just because they weren't highlight reel snipes doesn't negate them.

Better question: what's his goals/60 if you individually assign each goal a luck weight factor of 0-1 depending on an objective analysis of how lucky each is?

Sorry, I shouldn't have called them lucky. That wasn't the point of my post.

What was his goals/60 before that game? Somewhere right around 1.0? Moves him into 4th place instead of fractions behind first place? That's a pretty huge jump for one game, no? Maybe indicating a really small sample size?

I'm just saying we don't all need to rush to our calculators after each good game he has to re-do his stats/60 and season projections to try to convince ourselves of something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad