• Zadina

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Hronek

Votes: 89 95.7%

• Total voters

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I feel like it would be easy to get some GM to over pay for Hronek based on some sexy stats.

Zadina doesn't have much going for him that would be appealing for another team.

Reactions: golffuul and lilidk

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think Hronek, however Stevie spoke positively about Hronek during his free agency call with the beat writers, which leads me to believe that Stevie doesn't have any plans to trade Hronek at this time. Zadina probably has less trade value but he's the guy most likely to be cut loose IMO.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think Hronek, however Stevie spoke positively about Hronek during his free agency call with the beat writers, which leads me to believe that Stevie doesn't have any plans to trade Hronek at this time. Zadina probably has less trade value but he's the guy most likely to be cut loose IMO.

I think Zadina would only fetch another reclamation project. 1 for 1 type deal. But Hronek is the type of guy who at the deadline would fetch a better than expected return for a playoff team looking for a "puckmover" off d type player.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Stevie will sign Zadina 1 year 1.5 million prove it to me contract. My feeling though he could be gone either this summer or more likely the trade deadline.
Zadina 74GP 10G 14A -24
Gagner 81GP 13 18 -4

Tell me where you get $1.5M from those numbers when Gagner played for $850k and had better numbers on the same team playing with less talent and also PKing?

If it was strictly about this season, I'd ditch Zadina and sign Gagner (or some better UFA option). This season is basically Zadina's last chance, he gets min QO which is roughly $900k.

Zadina has no trade value, if he sucks this season it's time to cut bait like the team did with Cholo and Svech.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Steve Yzerman calls out Zadina and Hornek. . Sounds like they are on a short leash.

Um where does Yzerman call these guys out?

How do you guys think we will find someone better than Hronek and how much cap do you think your going to tie up in order to do that?

You don't want to be adding big time D to the roster when you have guys like Seider and what I think Edvinsson will be. You split those two up, put a solid affordable guy like Hronek with each of them. Don't need to be tying up 35 mill on 4 D. One guy more defensive and one guy more offensive like Hronek, Ideally. Then you can have a more offensive pairing and a more defensive pairing for the tougher matchups. You put Seider and Edvinsson together for a couple shifts when your down a goal towards the end of the game, that's about it.

You guys act like there is no salary cap and we can just pay 4 stud D big bucks. Because in order for anyone to be good enough for you guys they are going to have to be worth a lot of money. You don't get guys without flaws and downside for 3 to 5 million that can play top pairs. If Hronek became to good it would be an issue for us more than anything (again considering Edvinsson is good), unless we had him locked in longterm before that happened. Then we win big time and our D is a luxury that's over the top. This does happen from time to time (Nashville in the past) who ultimately had to end up moving guys out because you can't afford to pay 4 legit top 3 defenders.

What league do you guys watch anyway, it isn't the same NHL I'm seeing. The only viable option to have guys who are better than Hronek to slot in around Seider and Edvinsson is if one of our drafted guys really took off. Then we will have a guy better than Hronek up until he demands big money and eventually has to be traded away due to cap constraints.

There is also the diminishing return factor. How much better is our top pair with Seider + another great D vs just putting someone solid with him. Why would you want an even split on D leading the breakout for example? Don't need anyone demanding the puck off Seiders stick. Anytime there is an oppertunity Seiders D partner will defer the puck to him. You start to lose value in cap dollars that could be spent in other areas of your roster. Great players need to have the puck not have competition for it. If you had a bunch of decent guys lower than Seiders caliber, that's one thing to pair them up.

Hronek really is a solid offensive D. His stats prove it and he's proved it on a team that struggles to produce offense. Being partnered with a good defender going forward will really help him as well.

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020
Um where does Yzerman call these guys out?

How do you guys think we will find someone better than Hronek and how much cap do you think your going to tie up in order to do that?

You don't want to be adding big time D to the roster when you have guys like Seider and what I think Edvinsson will be. You split those two up, put a solid affordable guy like Hronek with each of them. Don't need to be tying up 35 mill on 4 D. One guy more defensive and one guy more offensive like Hronek, Ideally. Then you can have a more offensive pairing and a more defensive pairing for the tougher matchups. You put Seider and Edvinsson together for a couple shifts when your down a goal towards the end of the game, that's about it.

You guys act like there is no salary cap and we can just pay 4 stud D big bucks. Because in order for anyone to be good enough for you guys they are going to have to be worth a lot of money. You don't get guys without flaws and downside for 3 to 5 million that can play top pairs. If Hronek became to good it would be an issue for us more than anything (again considering Edvinsson is good), unless we had him locked in longterm before that happened. Then we win big time and our D is a luxury that's over the top. This does happen from time to time (Nashville in the past) who ultimately had to end up moving guys out because you can't afford to pay 4 legit top 3 defenders.

What league do you guys watch anyway, it isn't the same NHL I'm seeing. The only viable option to have guys who are better than Hronek to slot in around Seider and Edvinsson is if one of our drafted guys really took off. Then we will have a guy better than Hronek up until he demands big money and eventually has to be traded away due to cap constraints.

There is also the diminishing return factor. How much better is our top pair with Seider + another great D vs just putting someone solid with him. Why would you want an even split on D leading the breakout for example? Don't need anyone demanding the puck off Seiders stick. Anytime there is an oppertunity Seiders D partner will defer the puck to him. You start to lose value in cap dollars that could be spent in other areas of your roster. Great players need to have the puck not have competition for it. If you had a bunch of decent guys lower than Seiders caliber, that's one thing to pair them up.

Hronek really is a solid offensive D. His stats prove it and he's proved it on a team that struggles to produce offense. Being partnered with a good defender going forward will really help him as well.
Did you listen to the podcast. Yzerman singles out Zadina and Hronek out in that the need to get better.
I wouldn't trade Hronek.
I would. Hronek is a below average D who played with trash making him look better than he is.

Reactions: WF19

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hronek has far more trade value.
Honestly, while he isn't Phil Housley or anything, Hronek is slightly underrated around here despite his flaws.
The Hronek hate around here is hilarious. Some posters saying we need to get rid of a 24 year old RHD who's good for 40 points a year, who produces very well 5v5, who plays 22 minutes a night. Not to mention he drives shot attempts and starts the majority of his shifts in the dzone. He also plays against the opponents best players.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Did you listen to the podcast. Yzerman singles out Zadina and Hronek out in that the need to get better.

I would. Hronek is a below average D who played with trash making him look better than he is.
Did you even listen to the interview? Yzerman never singled out Zadina/Hronek. As a matter of fact, he named both of them as core players.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014

I've listened to every word Yzerman has publicly spoke this off-season. He talked about how he expects growth from everyone, even specifically mentioned Seider. I guess that means Seider is on thin ice as well. He said something along the lines that he hopes to see guys like Hronek take another step forward as well. He was talking about the growth of the team at the time, everyone.

We ALL know for a fact that Yzerman would never say anything publicly like this.

You can't just ignore certain things and then split hairs to read into things in order to meet your agenda.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The Hronek hate around here is hilarious. Some posters saying we need to get rid of a 24 year old RHD who's good for 40 points a year, who produces very well 5v5, who plays 22 minutes a night. Not to mention he drives shot attempts and starts the majority of his shifts in the dzone. He also plays against the opponents best players.
He’s that guy that will be missed 4 weeks after he’s traded…

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hronek has far more trade value.
Honestly, while he isn't Phil Housley or anything, Hronek is slightly underrated around here despite his flaws.
I think this is a situation where the difference in mean, median and mode of opinion is important. I actually think most hfwings posters understand Hronek's obviously great value and thus the mode or median is probably close to his real value. Then there's a super loud subset that inexplicably hates him, dragging the mean opinion down greatly. Frankly I think one of them just hates Czech players, but I don't really know. I've totally stopped trying to convince them on these guys.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
He talked about how he expects growth from everyone, even specifically mentioned Seider. I guess that means Seider is on thin ice as well.

Jesus, that's a horrible interpretation. It most likely doesn't mean "on thin ice", it's rather SY seeing a lot of potential beyond Seiders early, already great performance and that he needs to continue to work to become the best he can possibly be.

I guess everybody can relax on Mo. Has that German video about his off season regimen already been posted here? WIIM had it a couple days ago. Mo reminds me a lot of Dirk, whose work ethic was off the charts.

William Rusco

Dec 16, 2020
I think this is a situation where the difference in mean, median and mode of opinion is important. I actually think most hfwings posters understand Hronek's obviously great value and thus the mode or median is probably close to his real value. Then there's a super loud subset that inexplicably hates him, dragging the mean opinion down greatly. Frankly I think one of them just hates Czech players, but I don't really know. I've totally stopped trying to convince them on these guys.
Hronek has minimal value, although I am hoping his defensive game improves with new coaching. I also hope Zadine finds his game.

Agree to disagree.
Agreed

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
For Hronek, I would not take less than either a late first-round pick in 2023; or an early second plus additional later picks or prospects. If we can't get something like that, or package him, Zadina, and picks for some amazing talent (Stutzle, to push Copp for 2nd line center), I'd prefer that we keep Hronek.

For Zadina, I would insist upon, at the very least, a musty bag of unlaundered jock straps. If even Edmonton and Montreal turn that down, I'd prefer that we use Zadina to replace that Zamboni driver that pissed all over the place.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad