Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I soured on Zadina pretty quickly, so get a pick and prospect and let's move on. I trust our scouts and Hakan with the pick,time to cut our losses it just isn't going to work out. Those teams that passed on Zadina knew what they were doing, maybe he can get his career going in another city.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Those teams that passed on Zadina knew what they were doing

Well, kinda.

I don't know if Barrett Hayton and Jesperi Kotkaniemi are exactly a big score instead. Hayton just got 15% of his career points last night. Yay.

The only team that realistically "passed" on Zadina and got a truly superior player was Ottawa snagging Brady Tkachuk.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Well, kinda.

I don't know if Barrett Hayton and Jesperi Kotkaniemi are exactly a big score instead. Hayton just got 15% of his career points last night. Yay.

The only team that realistically "passed" on Zadina and got a truly superior player was Ottawa snagging Brady Tkachuk.

I think that says more about the 2018 draft than anything. In hindsight, that was kind of a shit draft to sell assets for. The extra 1st and 2nd in 2019 would have gotten more mileage.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think that says more about the 2018 draft than anything. In hindsight, that was kind of a shit draft to sell assets for. The extra 1st and 2nd in 2019 would have gotten more mileage.

Oh sure.

I'm just challenging the assertion that Montreal and Arizona "knew what they were doing" by passing. If so, they would currently be rolling out Quinn Hughes.

It's like saying someone was smart for not falling into an open manhole but then they immediately get hit by a bus. Bullet dodged... Sort of.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Another reason why I dont want to see Zadina traded just yet, is I would love to see what he can do under a different coach. It appears the consensus is that Blashill should and will be fired, so if thats the case lets see what Yzermans choice can do with this kid. Unless someone offers us a haul which wont happen, there is no harm in holding on 1 more year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Another reason why I dont want to see Zadina traded just yet, is I would love to see what he can do under a different coach. It appears the consensus is that Blashill should and will be fired, so if thats the case lets see what Yzermans choice can do with this kid. Unless someone offers us a haul which wont happen, there is no harm in holding on 1 more year.

I really can’t caution you more to not use the phrase “will be fired”. It’s clear Yzerman lives by his own rules. I can almost guarantee that Yzerman is more pleased with Blashill than the fan base is.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I really can’t caution you more to not use the phrase “will be fired”. It’s clear Yzerman lives by his own rules. I can almost guarantee that Yzerman is more pleased with Blashill than the fan base is.

Oh I realize it’s not for sure, that’s why I prefaced my statement with “it appears”. We’ll see what happens.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well, kinda.

Pretty sure Zadina was ranked ahead of them and they passed. I was a Quinn Hughes fan at the time but accepted conventional wisdom that we lucked out by having Zadina fall to us. That was clearly not the case.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Pretty sure Zadina was ranked ahead of them and they passed. I was a Quinn Hughes fan at the time but accepted conventional wisdom that we lucked out by having Zadina fall to us. That was clearly not the case.

Bench’s point is can you credit someone for being smart if they made an equal to or worse decision?

You didn’t bet on the Wings to win the Stanley Cup, so you’re smart. But you also bet on the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup, so are you still smart?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Bench’s point is can you credit someone for being smart if they made an equal to or worse decision?

You didn’t bet on the Wings to win the Stanley Cup, so you’re smart. But you also bet on the Sabres to win the Stanley Cup, so are you still smart?

I get that, my point is teams seemed to believe that Zadina was over rated and they went in another direction. Selecting Quinn Hughes would have been the move and they didn't make that move so they don't get credit for making a great selection but passing on Zadina looks like a very defensible decision.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I get that, my point is teams seemed to believe that Zadina was over rated and they went in another direction. Selecting Quinn Hughes would have been the move and they didn't make that move so they don't get credit for making a great selection but passing on Zadina looks like a very defensible decision.

But you’re arguing in the wrong direction. They didn’t make their pick to avoid Zadina. They made their pick Kotkaniemi and Hayton. They didn’t pick “give us anyone but Zadina.”

The same way we can’t praise Vancouver for not picking Zadina. The only team that you can assess on Zadina is Detroit, because they’re the only team who picked him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad