Recalled/Assigned: Zadina, Lashoff, and Pickard Sent Down to AHL (12/23)

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Maybe he’s just not very guuuuud.

Boy many of you get your chappies in a bunch over a financial situation that means nothing to his development.

not everyone jumps to the assumption that it’s a financial decision, when I’ve only seen this team do that once with a high end prospect in the last ten years (that I can remember) seemed like a reasonable assumption that they are sending him down until official word otherwise was released.

and even at his worse he seems to be an average to above average nhl player, already.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So the 3 of them combined make about $250k salary, how much cap space are they saving? $30k or so?

The question here is why are they so concerned about freeing up $30k worth of cap space when the team isn't near the ceiling? Are they planning on taking a salary dump at the deadline?

Most of the bad contracts expiring this year belong to non-playoff teams, with the exception of Frolik.
It has to do with daily cap savings and stuff like that. The cap structure isn't based around the whole number of the contract at the beginning of the year, teams make paper transactions like this all the time to save money down the road.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It has to do with daily cap savings and stuff like that. The cap structure isn't based around the whole number of the contract at the beginning of the year, teams make paper transactions like this all the time to save money down the road.

You think the Wings are saving up cap space for something?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Lashoff sent down to GR because:

1. Was going down to GR after Sunday's game anyway. Could bring up McIlrath back to Detroit after Friday's game.

Pickard sent down to GR becasue:

1. Howard conditioning stint over.

2. Griffins has only goalie (Nagle) in roster and they have 2 games to play this week.

3. Enough time for Bernier to heal before Florida trip on the weekend.

Another factor with Pickard and Lashoff is waivers. Going back to GR during a long layover will keep them from accruing a few days on the NHL roster that count toward the 30 before they'll potentially need to be waived again.

Reactions: lomekian

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Calling up the 3 back into the Wings means:

1. Mantha out for another month which gives Zadina more playing time.

2. Bernier groin injury is more serious than reported and the time off was not enough time for it to heal fully, thus calling up Pickard and being in Florida for the weekend, makes it easier for the Wings to carry 3 goalies for the 2 games.

3. Too many D men out for the Wings to mention and Lashoff is the chosen one for now to be called up.

Griffins called up Larsson from Toledo, signed Poulin to PTO in goal for Griffins, recalled Blake Hillman (D) from Toledo as well. Should be a fun game to see in GR tonight with the rotating players shuttling back and forth.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

giphy.gif

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
2. Bernier groin injury is more serious than reported and the time off was not enough time for it to heal fully, thus calling up Pickard and being in Florida for the weekend, makes it easier for the Wings to carry 3 goalies for the 2 games.

Blashill said Bernier could play on Sunday

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
But why!?!?! Cap space isn't an issue unless they plan on trading. The Wings aren't anywhere close to being over.

Edit: This really smells like the capologist doing his job even though it's completely pointless, just to show he knows how to do his job. "Hey look Stevie, I saved the team $30k in cap space!" Whatever.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
But why!?!?! Cap space isn't an issue unless they plan on trading. The Wings aren't anywhere close to being over.

Edit: This really smells like the capologist doing his job even though it's completely pointless, just to show he knows how to do his job. "Hey look Stevie, I saved the team $30k in cap space!" Whatever.

Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it's pointless.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Idk if you noticed, but every single player that was sent down 3 days ago was recalled, so maybe there's a lot more that goes into these types of things than we could possibly imagine. If I knew, I'd probably work in the front office of an NHL team and could do a lot better job of explaining it to you.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Idk if you noticed, but every single player that was sent down 3 days ago was recalled, so maybe there's a lot more that goes into these types of things than we could possibly imagine.
It was a paper move, we all know that. Teams that aren't near the cap and are out of playoff contention don't make these moves. All of the salary cap rules are in the CBA, it's completely unnecessary to make these moves unless the team plans on taking a salary dump trade.

The salary cap rules aren't some sort of black magic.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
So the 3 of them combined make about $250k salary, how much cap space are they saving? $30k or so?

The question here is why are they so concerned about freeing up $30k worth of cap space when the team isn't near the ceiling? Are they planning on taking a salary dump at the deadline?

Most of the bad contracts expiring this year belong to non-playoff teams, with the exception of Frolik.

The more space you have at the deadline gives you more options such as taking lukewarm or worse contracts with 1-2 years remaining for first three rounds picks.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
It was a paper move, we all know that. Teams that aren't near the cap and are out of playoff contention don't make these moves. All of the salary cap rules are in the CBA, it's completely unnecessary to make these moves unless the team plans on taking a salary dump trade.

The salary cap rules aren't some sort of black magic.

Do you have a reason why you would NOT want more flexibility in taking cap near the trade deadline?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you have a reason why you would NOT want more flexibility in taking cap near the trade deadline?

This is the real point. It doesn’t mean it amounts to anything, but if it’s an option that the organization can flex, it should be a formality. Long break? Send eligible players down. Holiday? Send eligible players down. Clockwork.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm kinda curious what kind of effect these paper moves have on Zadinas actual salary,I assume he's getting AHL pay for the time that the teams doing this to save cap?

I know i'd be a little pissed off if I were him if I was losing say 100k as a rookie on an elc over this just so the team could eke out an extra tiny bit of cap they probably won't even use

the tiny cap difference doesn't really seem worth upsetting a player like Zadina over to be honest

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
i'm kinda curious what kind of effect these paper moves have on Zadinas actual salary,I assume he's getting AHL pay for the time that the teams doing this to save cap?

I know i'd be a little pissed off if I were him if I was losing say 100k as a rookie on an elc over this just so the team could eke out an extra tiny bit of cap they probably won't even use

the tiny cap difference doesn't really seem worth upsetting a player like Zadina over to be honest

I could be wrong, but i think his salary is paid out on a per game basis. What happens in between doesn’t effect him. (Maybe someone can confirm or contradict this)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Lol the world we live in these days.

Game checks.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

A paper transaction means that the player never physically had to go anywhere, and surely he would have known the difference. He even said in an interview that he only went to GR during that time to go to his apartment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad