Recalled/Assigned: Zadina, Lashoff, and Pickard Sent Down to AHL (12/23)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The Griffs play Friday/Saturday. The Wings play Saturday/Sunday.

Zadina scored last night. But he was benched for some really poor play in his own zone. So I'm not sure.
From 12-7 to 12-15 he averaged over 15 per night through four games.
He's down to under 13 over the last 3.

On the other hand, with Mantha out, it does seem peculiar to send Zadina down right now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The Griffs play Friday/Saturday. The Wings play Saturday/Sunday.

Zadina scored last night. But he was benched for some really poor play in his own zone. So I'm not sure.
From 12-7 to 12-15 he averaged over 15 per night through four games.
He's down to under 13 over the last 3.

On the other hand, with Mantha out, it does seem peculiar to send Zadina down right now.

Really poor play in his own zone? Are you talking about the play he broke up only to have to puck bounce of his skate back to the Coyote?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Really poor play in his own zone? Are you talking about the play he broke up only to have to puck bounce of his skate back to the Coyote?

No. I'm talking about the poor play with the puck. On at least 4-5 occasions he's coughed up the puck/failed to get it out in the last 3 games.
He's now been credited for 11 giveaways in 13 games.

Why do you think he's been assigned to GR?
I think there was speculation he might be sent down before Mantha got hurt.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He got sent down because we don't play till Saturday. Very good chance he plays Friday with GR, gets called back up after the game and plays with the Wings on Saturday. Zadina is more than half the team away from being the biggest problem on our team, and absolutely should be playing in Detroit right now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
No. I'm talking about the poor play with the puck. On at least 4-5 occasions he's coughed up the puck/failed to get it out in the last 3 games.

It’s a good question. This could be ongoing “roster management” stuff from Yzerman. No idea

He hasn’t been the same player recently, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they send him down for play reasons. Just feels weird going from him being lined up with Larkin and Mantha to being sent down over like 2 days.

Not to mention it being a pointless endeavor. He’s proved that at his best, he is a competent NHL player. Time to coach him up, not send him away as if he doesn’t belong.

Reactions: hkydave04

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It’s a good question. This could be ongoing “roster management” stuff from Yzerman. No idea

He hasn’t been the same player recently, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they send him down for play reasons. Just feels weird going from him being lined up with Larkin and Mantha to being sent down over like 2 days.

Not to mention it being a pointless endeavor. He’s proved that at his best, he is a competent NHL player. Time to coach him up, not send him away as if he doesn’t belong.

Everyone says it's because of the break... but that doesn't make much sense to me.
They want to play him Friday in GR and then call up him for Saturday/Sunday games in Detroit?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Everyone says it's because of the break... but that doesn't make much sense to me.
They want to play him Friday in GR and then call up him for Saturday/Sunday games in Detroit?

Cash savings by sending him down would be my best bet, but maybe they do want him to play in GR on Friday. We will find out soon enough

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They have already done this with him this season, in fact it was like 2 weeks ago. Lots of teams do this with their young players, because playing games even in the AHL is better than just practicing.

dangledangledeke

Giveaways is probably a stat better used to define if you have the puck a lot. Circumstance is one thing, but citing the amount of giveaways is another. Zadina has 11 Giveaways in 13 games or .84 per game.

For reference, the top players in terms of giveaways this year are as follows:
Doughty - 58 -1.52 p/g
Karlsson - 56 - 1.51 p/g
Barzal - 56 - 1.64 p/g
Pastarnak - 54 - 1.45 p/g
McDavid - 52 - 1.33 p/g
Heiskanen - 50 - 1.31 p/g
Chabot - 49 - 1.32 p/g
LARKIN - 48 - 1.26 p/g
Panarin - 47 - 1.34 p/g
Weber - 47 - 1.30 p/g

Some of the best hockey players in the universe.

We tend to get frustrated by guys that are touching the puck a lot (See Tatar's hate he got on this board once upon a time) because it's not always the ideal outcome but if they are touching the puck a lot... well, that's better than not.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Zadina is 10th in the NHL in giveaways/60 at 5 on 5. 80 minutes minimum.
1st. Ericsson 6.31
10th Zadina 4.35
14th Erne 4.04
21st Larkin 3.86

There are lots of good players (and awful players) near the top.
It's not just about how many, but where. I think Zadina's giveaways and poor decisions have come at the wrong places on the ice.

We'll see.
Maybe this is just a paper transaction for some reason.

But given that Zadina was benched for much of the second half of yesterday's game, I'm not so sure about that.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Zadina sent down to GR because:

1. Wings are on break and do not play until the weekend/Griffins play Friday in GR which gives Zadina more playing time and not lose any rust during the break. Most likely Wings will recall him back for Saturday's game in Florida.

2. Helps Griffins at forward position for a night as Veleno (WJC), Rasmussen (injury), Lukosevicius (suspension) all out.

Lashoff sent down to GR because:

1. Was going down to GR after Sunday's game anyway. Could bring up McIlrath back to Detroit after Friday's game.

Pickard sent down to GR becasue:

1. Howard conditioning stint over.

2. Griffins has only goalie (Nagle) in roster and they have 2 games to play this week.

3. Enough time for Bernier to heal before Florida trip on the weekend.

Reactions: Mister Ed

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cash savings by sending him down would be my best bet, but maybe they do want him to play in GR on Friday. We will find out soon enough

This is definitely what it is. People keep overreacting to this. They get more cap space come the trade deadline.

Either way I’m not a fan of this up, down, up, back down again. Blashill and Yzerman both said they don’t want to do that. Now they’re doing it. I don’t agree with it. Pick a spot and let the kid get comfortable.

The last time they did this it was just a paper transaction and Zadina stayed exactly where he was. This is a cap move only. At the very least he goes to Grand Rapids for a game and comes right back up.

Pickard is probably down for good. Hopefully Lashoff is too, no reason to play him over McIlrath. Makes no sense at all

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, one more reason not to watch the Wings this season if Zadina's not playing. (Note that I said "if", this may be a paper transaction as have been previously mentioned.)

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
This is definitely what it is. People keep overreacting to this. They get more cap space come the trade deadline.

The last time they did this it was just a paper transaction and Zadina stayed exactly where he was. This is a cap move only. At the very least he goes to Grand Rapids for a game and comes right back up.

Pickard is probably down for good. Hopefully Lashoff is too, no reason to play him over McIlrath. Makes no sense at all

we’ll see. You may be right, but I haven’t seen anything about it being just paper. So I reserve the right to be annoyed until further notice.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Zadina sent down to GR because:

1. Wings are on break and do not play until the weekend/Griffins play Friday in GR which gives Zadina more playing time and not lose any rust during the break. Most likely Wings will recall him back for Saturday's game in Florida.

We'll see.
Seems odd to send a kid down for Friday when you have games Saturday and Sunday.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
We'll see.
Seems odd to send a kid down for Friday when you have games Saturday and Sunday.
Maybe it has something to do with #2 then. Veleno, Rasmussen, and Luko not being available...

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We'll see.

In sending Zadina down before the roster freeze, then he gets a couple of practices in GR and then a game on Friday to keep him sharp. If you leave him in Detroit, he can not do much until the Wings resume practice on Friday, then he goes with the team to Florida for games on Saturday and Sunday and he might lose a step in not doing much during the roster freeze.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Giveaways is probably a stat better used to define if you have the puck a lot. Circumstance is one thing, but citing the amount of giveaways is another. Zadina has 11 Giveaways in 13 games or .84 per game.

For reference, the top players in terms of giveaways this year are as follows:
Doughty - 58 -1.52 p/g
Karlsson - 56 - 1.51 p/g
Barzal - 56 - 1.64 p/g
Pastarnak - 54 - 1.45 p/g
McDavid - 52 - 1.33 p/g
Heiskanen - 50 - 1.31 p/g
Chabot - 49 - 1.32 p/g
LARKIN - 48 - 1.26 p/g
Panarin - 47 - 1.34 p/g
Weber - 47 - 1.30 p/g

Some of the best hockey players in the universe.

We tend to get frustrated by guys that are touching the puck a lot (See Tatar's hate he got on this board once upon a time) because it's not always the ideal outcome but if they are touching the puck a lot... well, that's better than not.

I've always laughed for the people freaking out about giveaways. Thanks for bringin this up.

I think Joe Thornton is the assist + giveaway -leader from the NHL in last 15 years.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

So the 3 of them combined make about $250k salary, how much cap space are they saving? $30k or so?

The question here is why are they so concerned about freeing up $30k worth of cap space when the team isn't near the ceiling? Are they planning on taking a salary dump at the deadline?

Most of the bad contracts expiring this year belong to non-playoff teams, with the exception of Frolik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad