Zadina is Yzermans new Drouin

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Is this the thread where I should pile on Zadina?

...Kind of weird how he gets bumped down to the 3rd line and his former line scores 2 minutes later.

And a minute or two after that, Fabbri (his former linemate, mid line change) bangs his stick in frustration because Zadina turned it over instead of passing to him wide open for a scoring chance
He has better advanced stats than the both of them and the goal was extremely flukey. You can criticize zadina for legit issues but his line not working isn’t his fault.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has better advanced stats than the both of them and the goal was extremely flukey. You can criticize zadina for legit issues but his line not working isn’t his fault.
Advanced stats won't show you why the offense isn't working. The second line had a lot of passes into empty space, and centering passes with nobody there. The question was were all of those errant passes or is someone just not where they're supposed to be? I said it in the previous 2 pages, that line isn't working out because someone's not on the right page, and we'll figure out who that is when that player gets demoted. Guess who got demoted?

Zadina likes to play a perimeter game, and I doubt that's the system Alex is trying to deploy. You don't have a 18.6 career shot percentage playing a perimeter game. Alex wants him in the slot, not in the circle, and that's where he always goes. Same crap I said last season, I thought he had changed but he goes right back to his comfort zone, perimeter play. Erne just fits the system better, I hope they stick with the change for a while.

Side note: Tanguay's career S% is higher than Gretzky's. Ranks #17 all time.
NHL All-Time Shot Percentage Leaders

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Fabbri is good and all, but he is 3rd liner on a good team and Suter has played poorly thus far.
Fabbri is 0.5 PPG in his career, and even higher with Detroit.

How many teams other than the Bolts have 3rd liners that can play wing or center scoring at 0.6 PPG pace like Fabbri is doing with the Wings?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

How many teams other than the Bolts have 3rd liners that can play wing or center scoring at 0.6 PPG pace like Fabbri is doing with the Wings?

0.6ppg is low-mid tier 2nd line material. That equals out to 49.2 points per season.

I think it would be a fun project to take the scoring totals of teams in the league to make a breakdown of what makes the most ideal successful team. (IE, how many goals and points per line, 1st through 4th broken down and what the average is for teams in the top 10 versus the rest of the league)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
0.6ppg is low-mid tier 2nd line material. That equals out to 49.2 points per season.

I think it would be a fun project to take the scoring totals of teams in the league to make a breakdown of what makes the most ideal successful team. (IE, how many goals and points per line, 1st through 4th broken down and what the average is for teams in the top 10 versus the rest of the league)
112 players scored 50 or more points in 2018/19 which was the last full season, 13 of them were defensemen. So 99 forwards scored more than 50 points. Do the math and you'll figure out that Fabbri is a solid 2nd line player if he can stay healthy.

It's really strange how the same people who love Zadina keep saying Fabbri is 3rd line material. By that standard, Zadina would be a 4th liner. As shown last night, Fabbri can score because he goes to the dirty areas, Zadina won't, so Fabbri will continue to score more goals than Zadina. Book it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Zadina is nothing special. Seems to have a very low IQ. He could be replaced by a lot of players. The end.
I think he just got demoted because he's not playing Alex's system. It looks to me like the weak side winger is supposed to be in the slot, and Zadina's always at the top half of the circle. He's still trying to play Disco Dan's defensive shell, and it's hampering the second line. He also has no clue how to cycle the puck when it's on his side. He's gotta realize that different coach means different system.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

He is also getting higher PP and ice time in general than he would be on a top team. He would be 3rd at best on TB's team, and that means less important ice time and lower linemates to play with. Killorn is considered a low 2nd/3rd line player and I think Killorn is the better all around player than Fabbri.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Zadina is nothing special. Seems to have a very low IQ. He could be replaced by a lot of players. The end.

Low IQ players don't seem to be where the puck is most of the time, as Zadina is. Weird take! Zadina needs an extra step with speed, and to be better at finding open spots in the offensive zone to get to for shots, but IQ is not one of his issues.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He is also getting higher PP and ice time in general than he would be on a top team. He would be 3rd at best on TB's team, and that means less important ice time and lower linemates to play with. Killorn is considered a low 2nd/3rd line player and I think Killorn is the better all around player than Fabbri.
I think you might want to re-read my post because I said "other than the Bolts". They're stacked. So are a few other Cup contenders. But we're talking about a handful of teams.

If Fabbri winds up being a 3rd liner on this team, then it's time to buy playoff tickets. That's all I'm saying because as I said before he scores at a .6 ppg pace and only 99 forwards did that in the last complete regular season.

Also, at 16 min average TOI, he's not getting a lot of minutes. That's probably less than your average 2nd liner. His ice time always seems to be managed carefully, even in the Vancouver game where he was playing 1C he only got 15:13. Probably because of his injury history.

The only valid argument you have there is that he'd probably be on the second PP on most teams. However I want to point out the Disco was such a bad PP coach that most 2nd units outscored the Wings' first unit under Disco Dan.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

This is flawed to a certain extent because even hockey-reference has blind spots and will misclassify wingers as centers or centers as wingers. But among all players listed as a wing who played at least 40 games over the past 3 years combined, a 0.6ppg ranks 70th. By math, there are 64 first line wingers based on scoring output alone. That means that 0.6 ppg is actually in the 92nd percentile of second line wingers, considering we are only looking at offensive output. Certainly you can find players who is more defensively inclined that could/should factor in.

Fabbri has scored like a high end second line player for Detroit. Mid tier at worst.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
CdMvAWJ.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This is flawed to a certain extent because even hockey-reference has blind spots and will misclassify wingers as centers or centers as wingers. But among all players listed as a wing who played at least 40 games over the past 3 years combined, a 0.6ppg ranks 70th. By math, there are 64 first line wingers based on scoring output alone. That means that 0.6 ppg is actually in the 92nd percentile of second line wingers, considering we are only looking at offensive output. Certainly you can find players who is more defensively inclined that could/should factor in.

Fabbri has scored like a high end second line player for Detroit. Mid tier at worst.
Thank you. Any way you slice the numbers, Fabbri is a second line player. His style of play lends better to a scoring line anyways, he's not really a 2 way player. Defensive play isn't his strong suit, and he doesn't PK. I have no idea why he keeps getting labeled as a 3rd liner here on a very consistent basis, when he's actually the only true 2nd liner this team has. This board will explode when he gets resigned because "it's overpayment for a 3rd line winger". I can see it already.

It does look like the team may have 3 wingers capable of being first line wingers when Vrana comes back. That's sorta exciting.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
In the past 11 seasons only 2 players have potted 30 goals for this team, D-Boss and AA in 18/19.

I doubt Zadina is ever gonna pot 30, he'll be lucky to hit Brett Connolly's career high of 22.

this says way more about the Wings than it does anything else

the last time there was a full season 45 players hit 30+ goals

and as far as non full seasons go last year 46 players with 20+ games played were on pace for it and the year before 51 were

I have no idea if Zadina ever hits 30 goals but saying he will is essentially just saying he'll spend at least one season in the top ~50 in goals

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Thank you. Any way you slice the numbers, Fabbri is a second line player. His style of play lends better to a scoring line anyways, he's not really a 2 way player. Defensive play isn't his strong suit, and he doesn't PK. I have no idea why he keeps getting labeled as a 3rd liner here on a very consistent basis, when he's actually the only true 2nd liner this team has. This board will explode when he gets resigned because "it's overpayment for a 3rd line winger". I can see it already.

It does look like the team may have 3 wingers capable of being first line wingers when Vrana comes back. That's sorta exciting.

Zadina’s development this year, should we see any, could do wonders for scoring depth. A healthy roster with Bertuzzi, Raymond, Vrana, Fabbri, and Zadina would present some realistic chances of having 3 lines capable of producing offense. That also means that they could be viewed as expendable come deadline day. Who knows at this point what Yzerman’s plan is. I’m sure, whatever it is, his #1 is figuring out an extension with Larkin in the coming offseason.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
this says way more about the Wings than it does anything else

the last time there was a full season 45 players hit 30+ goals

and as far as non full seasons go last year 46 players with 20+ games played were on pace for it and the year before 51 were

I have no idea if Zadina ever hits 30 goals but saying he will is essentially just saying he'll spend at least one season in the top ~50 in goals
Average of 1.5 players per team, and if any Red Wing gets there it'll be Bert, Vrana, or Razor not Zadina.

The only way Zadina gets 30 is if actually goes to high danger areas. He did for a little bit at the end of last season, but reverted this season. It's highly unlikely is all I gotta say.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I think the IQ is pretty good - though he sometimes seems to panic.
I think the skills are overrated and his skating is quite mediocre for someone with his size.

He's often in the right place. He doesn't execute. His shot isn't powerful. It isn't accurate. His passes are often way off the mark.

Could it be a mental thing? A confidence thing? Maybe. Maybe he finds a way to flip the switch.

There are some stats to point to that.
His shots/60 (9.12) is fourth best on the team behind Fabbri, Raymond, Bertuzzi. That's way above his 3-year average with Detroit.
His shooting percentage at 5 on 5 is 0.00.
His shooting percentage at 5 on 5 over 3 years is 5.6% - that's really low.

Last edited:

Neil Ballantyne

Oct 11, 2021
Could of had Pastrnak insted of Larkin.
Could of had Boeser instead of Svechnikov
Could of had Samuel Girard instead of Cholowski
Could of had Suzuki instead of Rasmussen
Could of had Hughes instead of Zadina
Could of had Zegras instead of Seider
Could of had Lundell instead of Raymond
Could of had Eklund instead of Edvinsson.

I love this Red Wings could of had -team.
Zegras instead of seider? Lundell instead of Raymond? Oops

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I think the IQ is pretty good - though he sometimes seems to panic.
I think the skills are overrated and his skating is quite mediocre for someone with his size.

He's often in the right place. He doesn't execute. His shot isn't powerful. It isn't accurate. His passes are often way off the mark.

Could it be a mental thing? A confidence thing? Maybe. Maybe he finds a way to flip the switch.

There are some stats to point to that.
His shots/60 (9.12) is fourth best on the team behind Fabbri, Raymond, Bertuzzi. That's way above his 3-year average with Detroit.
His shooting percentage at 5 on 5 is 0.00.
His shooting percentage at 5 on 5 over 3 years is 5.6% - that's really low.

He hits the glass on every shot, so I guess it all adds up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad