Zack Smith Penalty Shot goal |Yay or Nay?|

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Any poster who claims he pulled the puck back can immediately be dismissed as it is clear not the case. That narrows the argument down quite a bit.

IMO, he slows it down to a near stop. He keeps moving and the puck keeps moving albeit slow, and nothing moved backward. I think it's fine.

Once it goes to SO it's a ****-show who wins regardless, no use nitpicking semantics of player form. Your team just needs to win by a wider margin.

crzymexicanbeer

Oct 24, 2013
Davis
Yeah for sure in the most technical interpretation.

But the forward progress is halted for a spilt second AND during a stick handling move.

The rule is to prevent more than just instantaneous backwards trajectories. Like a spin move, where the puck travels backwards for much longer.

That ridiculous datsyuk chip shot goal was applauded, does he not drag the puck "backwards" for literally an instant...
I'd bet there's hundreds of shootout goals where the puck is backwards for an instant during a dangle.

That's not the point of the rule at all.

You are missing the point. It becomes an issue when a player comes to a halt, not during a regular shot.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Any poster who claims he pulled the puck back can immediately be dismissed as it is clear not the case. That narrows the argument down quite a bit.

IMO, he slows it down to a near stop. He keeps moving and the puck keeps moving albeit slow, and nothing moved backward. I think it's fine.

Once it goes to SO it's a ****-show who wins regardless, no use nitpicking semantics of player form. Your team just needs to win by a wider margin.
He pulled it back to get it in a position to shoot, like every player does.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
The rule in question is Rule 24.2, as per the rulebook...the puck must remain in continuous motion toward the goal...it cannot stop, be stopped, or be pulled back. The player can come to a halt, but the puck cannot. (The "spin-o-rama" is also allowed, so long as the puck stays moving forward.)

This is the video if not already posted.

Pay attention to 1:09 and slow the video to 0.5 speed. When Zack Smith is lifting his stick off the ice, he doesn't pull the puck back, and it keeps moving toward the goal line. Before it stops, Smith advances the puck again to fire a wrister past Alex Stalock. As such, good hockey goal. It's close though.

Last edited:

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
At first I thought it wasn't a goal, but after seeing the comments and re-watching I'm not sure anymore.

His body movement makes everything deceptive, I had to focus entirely on the puck and ignore his body movement.

He doesn't bring it "back", he just sort of....slows it. You can see it wobbling right as he is about to shoot/lift it.

If it was ruled a goal on ice, I don't see enough to overturn it.

If a player edged the puck forward minimally, and then hammered a slap shot for near center ice it would count, I don't see anything significantly different from what Smith did, just a lot of deceptive bodywork by Smith.

Froze the goalie anyway.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

not sure if you thought this was a SO goal, it's not, it's a PS.

And my last say on the whole "spirit" thing ... the "spirit" of the rule is to not allow an undue amount of advantage to the shooter -- the point is to replace the lost breakaway chance, but on a breakaway generally you have backcheckers coming so you do not have forever to sit and wait the goalie out. That is what smith did here and why the goal should have been disallowed if the whole spirit argument matters.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
What I don't understand is why they were reviewing non-reviewable play :dunno:

That's actually a very good point.

If the refs didn't blow their whistle to signal the end of the penalty shot, then is any of this even reviewable?

Can you review whether or not the ref should have blown the play dead? I don't think you can unless someone can show me otherwise.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Doesn't Kane do the same thing in almost every shootout attempt he takes?

Not really, Kane just slows down a **** ton.

patrick-kane-vs-wild-o.gif

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His momentum never stopped, from the real time side angle it's obvious. When they show slow mo replays from behind the net it looks like he did stop which is why I think there is confusion.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
not sure if you thought this was a SO goal, it's not, it's a PS.

And my last say on the whole "spirit" thing ... the "spirit" of the rule is to not allow an undue amount of advantage to the shooter -- the point is to replace the lost breakaway chance, but on a breakaway generally you have backcheckers coming so you do not have forever to sit and wait the goalie out. That is what smith did here and why the goal should have been disallowed if the whole spirit argument matters.

If the true spirit was to replace the shot as close as possible then they'd have all the players on there as he did it.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Thought it was a good goal until i saw the angle from behind the net. Now its kinda looks like no goal to me. Its really close.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Thought it was a good goal until i saw the angle from behind the net. Now its kinda looks like no goal to me. Its really close.

Now watch the slo mo side angle that would clearly have the best angle of the play and would obviously be the best angle to determine it.

He's still moving forward as is the puck. Very slowly, but surely.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
The rule in question is Rule 24.2, as per the rulebook...the puck must remain in continuous motion toward the goal...it cannot stop, be stopped, or be pulled back. The player can come to a halt, but the puck cannot. (The "spin-o-rama" is also allowed, so long as the puck stays moving forward.)

This is the video if not already posted.

Pay attention to 1:09 and slow the video to 0.5 speed. When Zack Smith is lifting his stick off the ice, he doesn't pull the puck back, and it keeps moving toward the goal line. Before it stops, Smith advances the puck again to fire a wrister past Alex Stalock. As such, good hockey goal. It's close though.

This. I'm inclined to agree here. It's damn close though the way he stopped like that. Anyone else think it funny that it was Pavelski talking to the refs :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad