Zack Smith Penalty Shot goal |Yay or Nay?|

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
The fact that this can even be eligible for review is ridiculous. NHL needs to revamp their review rules. It's sooooo ****** now.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Funny I remember Pavelski doing something pretty similar in the shootout against the ducks and it was considered a good goal.

Pavelski's one wasn't as clearly pulled back and stopped in front of the blade. He just baaarely kept it moving, and he shot immediately after his stop-up. Smith waited stalock out which you are not supposed to be able to do. But note by the commentary that at this time spin-o-ramas were also allowed, which they are not now, so the rules have tightened up on this.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I don't understand how it's kept in motion when he pulls the puck back and then winds up with it on his stick for the shot. That's "kept in motion"?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The announcers said that Kane did something similar as well and was called a good goal.

Don't know if this is true or not.

If it is though, then there is already a precedent set on whether these goals should be allowed or not.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
the puck stops moving forward for a second. no goal imo

A split second is irrelevant.
Tons of players with fancy dangles probably move the puck fractionally backwards.

The forward motion rule is to prevent long deliberate backwards motion.

Also that pavelski video is 99% exactly the same.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Tons of players with fancy dangles probably move the puck fractionally backwards.

well if the 1% is the fact that it didn't stop while smith's did.

crzymexicanbeer

Oct 24, 2013
Davis

Close, but in pavelski's shot you can clearly see the puck is still moving slightly forward. Not the case with this one.

I thought it should have been a no goal, but looking at it again, i think it was too close to overturn. Likewise, if this had been called a no goal on the ice, that call would have stuck as well.

crzymexicanbeer

Oct 24, 2013
Davis
So what. Pucks stop momentarily all the time.

I think the rule reads more in terms of forward progress. If the player stops and stops the puck at the same time, there is no forward progress. I player can be moving forward and slightly bring the puck back, because there is still forward progress.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The puck and player come to a complete stop. Not sure how this was allowed.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If it was up to me, according to my understanding of the rule book, it shouldn't count.

However it did and am very glad it did.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Close, but in pavelski's shot you can clearly see the puck is still moving slightly forward. Not the case with this one.

I thought it should have been a no goal, but looking at it again, i think it was too close to overturn. Likewise, if this had been called a no goal on the ice, that call would have stuck as well.
Y'all want the refs and rule book to differentiate between split second puck trajectories....?

If under the "spirit of the rule" the pavelski goal is fine, Kane's stop up goals are fine, then there's no way this goal isn't fine too.

If you want to slow it down to frame by frame comparisons and then get all uptight when smiths puck is .001 second later than pavs then fine, but that's getting ridiculous.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It would be interesting to see how many saying good goal are sens fans vs neutral fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad