Zack Smith Penalty Shot goal |Yay or Nay?|

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Can't believe how many people are against so many different things in penalty shots/shootouts...all that's going to be left is the skater coming in and shooting on a predetermined spot to avoid violating any "spirit" of the rules.

FeyWest

May 14, 2014
If he lost control of the puck and it was deemed a "Second Attempt" I would say no goal but I think it's much like a fake shot and then deke back around the goalie. You could even pull it back to protect from a poke check then shoot/deke, the fact he had complete control of the puck should deem it a good goal.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
The 'spirit of the rule' is that the shooter moves towards the goalie and scores, or doesnt or whatever.

This guy comes to a screetching halt, pulls the puck back and then lets it rip from a standstill. I dont think thats what they had in mind when they developed the penalty shot.

Since the guys supposedly kept the 'puck in motion' the whole time then it counts. Perhaps its not about whether this should count or not but they should clarify the rules for future reference.

The guy has to keep moving forward or side to side and cant come to a dead stop.

jford

Apr 21, 2015
The 'spirit of the rule' is that the shooter moves towards the goalie and scores, or doesnt or whatever.

This guy comes to a screetching halt, pulls the puck back and then lets it rip from a standstill. I dont think thats what they had in mind when they developed the penalty shot.

Since the guys supposedly kept the 'puck in motion' the whole time then it counts. Perhaps its not about whether this should count or not but they should clarify the rules for future reference.

The guy has to keep moving forward or side to side and cant come to a dead stop.

I agree with this.

And FTR, I don't like the Pavelski goal that was allowed, either.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey

I think the spirit of the rule is to force the shooter to make a decision and not just stop wait wait wait, move back and forth or side to side out of the goalies reach waiting for the goalie to make a mistake and skate it past him to an open net. Not stop for less then a second to make the move.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not much different than this Datsyuk one, approach-wise

COledhG.gif

Looking at it now it looks more to the side than I thought

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Not much different than this Datsyuk one, approach-wise

COledhG.gif

Looking at it now it looks more to the side than I thought

it's way different. datsyuk was not ragging the puck for a while but he was moving it forward very clearly. he pulled the puck to shoot as part of his "move" ... the move can't be stopping the puck and waiting the goalie out which is what smith did.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
You are allowed to move the puck backwards during a deke or windup. Pretty much every wrist shot ever used in a shootout does this. In the datsyuk move right above this post the puck moves backwards for a second. That has always been allowed.

The almost stopping is pretty cheesey but once the NHL allowed Kane to do it the precedent was set.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
it's way different. datsyuk was not ragging the puck for a while but he was moving it forward very clearly. he pulled the puck to shoot as part of his "move" ... the move can't be stopping the puck and waiting the goalie out which is what smith did.

The puck never stops, he never stops.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
The puck is always moving forward. He only pulls it back relative to his body, but momentum is still moving the puck forward. Good goal.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If it didn't sound/look so stupid, there should almost be a defenceman lined up at the offensive blue line (furthest from SO goalie) chasing the shooter down. This would create pressure and make it so they can't stop without getting poke checked or decked.

Aside from that, it's difficult to disallow these. The puck goes backwards on many shots, but the skating is definitely iffy.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The puck I have no issue with. It's always pulles back to take a snap/wrist shot. It was the stopping part that was iffy. Like others have said, since they allowed Kane they have to allow this.

Burns shouldn't have allowed Smith to get behind him in the first place.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The puck I have no issue with. It's always pulles back to take a snap/wrist shot. It was the stopping part that was iffy. Like others have said, since they allowed Kane they have to allow this.

Burns shouldn't have allowed Smith to get behind him in the first place.

It's tricky too because there are complete stops (and it looks like Smith was one of these, but it's hard to tell) and there are those that do the 9/10 stop where they create a big cloud of snow from a stop but actually continuing moving forward very slowly.

Those kinds of judgment calls are hard to assess.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The phrasing of the rule itself isn't always the most important part. There usually is a common interpretation, be it official or otherwise, to specify what others already mentioned as the spirit of the rule, which tends to be more important than the literal rule. Was the "continuous forward motion of the player" an older phrasing of the rule, or was that the league's publicized interpretation so far? Either way, that's what makes sense. The point of the rule isn't to outlaw quick forth/back stickhandling or a wind-up for a wrist shot.

It might be in order for the league to adjust the phrasing to represent that a little better, though.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
You are allowed to move the puck backwards during a deke or windup. Pretty much every wrist shot ever used in a shootout does this. In the datsyuk move right above this post the puck moves backwards for a second. That has always been allowed.

The almost stopping is pretty cheesey but once the NHL allowed Kane to do it the precedent was set.

Nobody is disputing the fact that you can pull the puck back AS LONG AS YOUR ARE MOVING FORWARD.

The issue here is he STOPS, THEN pulls it back. Which is not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I hate that it is even up for debate. If you want to put exceptions on shoot out goals then go ahead but a penalty shot is something completely different.

skiba77777

Jun 24, 2013
He didn't pull it back, he slowed/stopped it to match his slowing speed. There's no reason that shouldn't be a goal.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
He didn't pull it back, he slowed/stopped it to match his slowing speed.

This is true, he stopped the puck to match his speed - which was standstill.

I don't like it, but these calls happen.

Burns shouldn't have made the play he did, and Stalock shouldn't have been so brain dead on the first goal.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
I hate that it is even up for debate. If you want to put exceptions on shoot out goals then go ahead but a penalty shot is something completely different.

They can't be because its the same thing. The end credit is different but you can't have two different rules for something that is the same thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad