Player Discussion Zack Kassian

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So like, on his first shift then?

Yeah...I was thinking in the first 10 seconds of his first shift.

Yeah...that sounds about right. :help:

Seriously man...are you trying to tell me that you really dont understand what I am suggesting here?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Yeah...I was thinking in the first 10 seconds of his first shift.

Yeah...that sounds about right. :help:

Seriously man...are you trying to tell me that you really dont understand what I am suggesting here?

Well the game was pretty much over halfway through the 1st. I do get what you're saying though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well the game was pretty much over halfway through the 1st. I do get what you're saying though.

Look...I am not judging Kassian as a player at all. I want him to succeed.

I would just like an attempt to turn the game around to be made when it still matters...not when the game is a foregone conclusion.

Thats why I am not singing the praises of his play in that game.

I also didnt care for him beating up a skill player...thats like Martin grabbing Eberle and beating the crap out of him.

Kassians beef was with Martin...then man up and fight Martin.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Look...I am not judging Kassian as a player at all. I want him to succeed.

I would just like an attempt to turn the game around to be made when it still matters...not when the game is a foregone conclusion.

Thats why I am not singing the praises of his play in that game.

I also didnt care for him beating up a skill player...thats like Martin grabbing Eberle and beating the crap out of him.

Kassians beef was with Martin...then man up and fight Martin.

Except it was Strait who grabbed him. Im sure if it was Martin he would of fought him too.

Honestly, I think the idea that he should of done it earlier is ridiculous. If he had done that earlier when the game was close, and given the Isles a pp I would have been livid. He stood up to the Isles the only way we could, physically. Clearly, noone was going to man up and score some goals (Hall,Eberle, Drai), so he stood up to them the only way he and the team could.

I rather not have our team *****ed around on the scoreboard and physically.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Didn't seem like Martin was all interested in fighting Kassian (and if you were Martin - why would you?) - there was nothing for Kassian to "man up" to..

I'll repeat this one more time .

Kass DID go after Martin. That was earlier on and unfortunately the Refs intervened instead of letting the guys go which would have been much more effective in getting that bout out of the way. I think things would've been less chippy if they had just let those two sort it out.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The Oilers DO NOT LOSE games (in general) because Kassian turns into an idiot. Though, his ability to end up in the penalty box certainly is not an asset in general.

The Oilers DO LOSE games when Kassian (along with other players on the team, he's not alone in this) don't play quality hockey.

The Oilers DO WIN games when they play quality hockey. Kassian can do this when he chooses to.

Now, with all of that out of the way, the part I am challenging is the concept that Kassian fighting for the team's pride, or getting the team riled up at some magical point in the game, actually helps a team win. I'm not certain it does. Perhaps if there was evidence that it does I could be convinced to change my mind.

However, I would like to see Kassian not be an idiot, and instead play hockey. Pretty basic stuff. From what I've seen of Kassian he's reverting back to the way he's always played. Over the line, stupid, emotional, and not a good hockey player. I know he's capable of more but it's looking more and more like he can't help himself. Just as I expected. It's unfortunate, but time hasn't run out for him. It's got to be tough not to mail it in and revert back to old habits on this crap team though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Didn't seem like Martin was all interested in fighting Kassian (and if you were Martin - why would you?) - there was nothing for Kassian to "man up" to..

Martin was more than willing to go...Kassian pulled Strait from the scrum and pummeled him.

Hardly something to be proud of.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Except it was Strait who grabbed him. Im sure if it was Martin he would of fought him too.

Honestly, I think the idea that he should of done it earlier is ridiculous. If he had done that earlier when the game was close, and given the Isles a pp I would have been livid. He stood up to the Isles the only way we could, physically. Clearly, noone was going to man up and score some goals (Hall,Eberle, Drai), so he stood up to them the only way he and the team could.

I rather not have our team *****ed around on the scoreboard and physically.

Thats wrong. As I said in a previous post...Kassian pulled Strait (a skill player) from the scrum and pummeled him.
I dont respect the lack of balls in that move at all. Strait was just doing what any player should do...go into a scrum and stand up for your team. Eberle does that but I dont think for a minute you would expect him to fight the other teams tough guy just because he ventured into a scrum.
Nice double standard there.
That aside I think its odd that you think doing this when the game is essentially over means anything meaningful at all.
For that to have any meaning it needs to be done when the team has a chance at winning the game. Especially when you consider its against a team the Oilers see twice a year.

If that was against a Western Conference team then I can somewhat see that it would have more meaning. Otherwise its pointless.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats wrong. As I said in a previous post...Kassian pulled Strait (a skill player) from the scrum and pummeled him.
I dont respect the lack of balls in that move at all. Strait was just doing what any player should do...go into a scrum and stand up for your team. Eberle does that but I dont think for a minute you would expect him to fight the other teams tough guy just because he ventured into a scrum.
Nice double standard there.
That aside I think its odd that you think doing this when the game is essentially over means anything meaningful at all.
For that to have any meaning it needs to be done when the team has a chance at winning the game. Especially when you consider its against a team the Oilers see twice a year.

If that was against a Western Conference team then I can somewhat see that it would have more meaning. Otherwise its pointless.

Did you just call Brian Strait a skilled player? I think you got the wrong Streit. Thats not Mark Streit.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Did you just call Brian Strait a skilled player? I think you got the wrong Streit. Thats not Mark Streit.

Heh...that was a misrepresentation on my part to be sure but the point I was trying to make is that Strait is not a fighter.
He has 85 PIM's in his entire NHL career.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
The Oilers DO NOT LOSE games (in general) because Kassian turns into an idiot. Though, his ability to end up in the penalty box certainly is not an asset in general.

The Oilers DO LOSE games when Kassian (along with other players on the team, he's not alone in this) don't play quality hockey.

The Oilers DO WIN games when they play quality hockey. Kassian can do this when he chooses to.

Now, with all of that out of the way, the part I am challenging is the concept that Kassian fighting for the team's pride, or getting the team riled up at some magical point in the game, actually helps a team win. I'm not certain it does. Perhaps if there was evidence that it does I could be convinced to change my mind.

However, I would like to see Kassian not be an idiot, and instead play hockey. Pretty basic stuff. From what I've seen of Kassian he's reverting back to the way he's always played. Over the line, stupid, emotional, and not a good hockey player. I know he's capable of more but it's looking more and more like he can't help himself. Just as I expected. It's unfortunate, but time hasn't run out for him. It's got to be tough not to mail it in and revert back to old habits on this crap team though.

That is a rather damning, shocking indictment after 10 games. During which he has played fine, fine hockey.

He has played well, and strong. According to just about everyone out there, we won the trade by a country mile and picked up a solid piece of the team.

He's certainly, certainly not the first guy to pick a fight under his weight class in a game become a rout, and he's sure not going to be the last. Guys pull this all the time, and in most cases, they are not Zack Kassian.

He's playing great, and giving this team something it sorely lacked. Let's not jump up on him too fast now.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That is a rather damning, shocking indictment after 10 games. During which he has played fine, fine hockey.

He has played well, and strong. According to just about everyone out there, we won the trade by a country mile and picked up a solid piece of the team.

He's certainly, certainly not the first guy to pick a fight under his weight class in a game become a rout, and he's sure not going to be the last. Guys pull this all the time, and in most cases, they are not Zack Kassian.

He's playing great, and giving this team something it sorely lacked. Let's not jump up on him too fast now.

He has played solid hockey at points, which is why its so disheartening, though not surprising, to see him already starting to lose his cool on multiple occasions. When you've only been back in the league for 10 games and looking like you're going to have a tough time keeping it between the line I'd say it's only a matter of time. The guy has already been tossed for shoving a linesman.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If Kassian starts running around in close games and taking stupid penalties, then that's a different story. But it hasn't happened yet. He has already earned the trust to play in key situations late in games.

He has been a pleasant surprise. Lots of effort, finishes every check, can provide offense, and plays a different game than any other forward. What happened against the Islanders was refreshing to see. He was pissed off at the score and Martin taking a run, so he dummied one of the Islanders in response. I have no issue with that, it's something the Oilers have been lacking for years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Kassian starts running around in close games and taking stupid penalties, then that's a different story. But it hasn't happened yet. He has already earned the trust to play in key situations late in games.

He has been a pleasant surprise. Lots of effort, finishes every check, can provide offense, and plays a different game than any other forward. What happened against the Islanders was refreshing to see. He was pissed off at the score and Martin taking a run, so he dummied one of the Islanders in response. I have no issue with that, it's something the Oilers have been lacking for years.

Unfortunate he was one of a few that stuck to playing the style of hockey he needs to in order to help this team win.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

He has played solid hockey at points, which is why its so disheartening, though not surprising, to see him already starting to lose his cool on multiple occasions. When you've only been back in the league for 10 games and looking like you're going to have a tough time keeping it between the line I'd say it's only a matter of time. The guy has already been tossed for shoving a linesman.

BS.

Kassian did exactly what he needed to do.

Under many circumstances, these types of actions (antics) accomplish what they`re supposed to..spark a team to put up some sort of fight. Unfortunately, he found out what the majority of fans and other teams know, the Oilers, as a group, are soft and weak. We already have enough soft, skilled players that we don`t need Zack to be the same way. He tried playing a hitting, tough game but he was basically the only one hitting and finally had to do something else to `spark` the team.

I have no problem whatsoever about what he did or the timing. At least he gave it a shot, which is more than I can say for the majority of the team.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Frankly I want Kassian to be that guy that takes a few misconducts every year and plays on the edge. Enough of this Oiler nice guy/honor code crap that has shown us to be pushovers for years.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
BS.

Kassian did exactly what he needed to do.

Under many circumstances, these types of actions (antics) accomplish what they`re supposed to..spark a team to put up some sort of fight. Unfortunately, he found out what the majority of fans and other teams know, the Oilers, as a group, are soft and weak. We already have enough soft, skilled players that we don`t need Zack to be the same way. He tried playing a hitting, tough game but he was basically the only one hitting and finally had to do something else to `spark` the team.

I have no problem whatsoever about what he did or the timing. At least he gave it a shot, which is more than I can say for the majority of the team.

In what way did this so called magical spark actually accomplish anything. I always ask this question and never get any tangible answer or evidence that it ever actually does anything.

The team got obliterated. They need people to play better hockey.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
In what way did this so called magical spark actually accomplish anything. I always ask this question and never get any tangible answer or evidence that it ever actually does anything.

The team got obliterated. They need people to play better hockey.

Simple...read the post. I already said it didn't work because the majority of the rest are a bunch of p*****s....

I've watched hockey for 50 years and have seen the 'tactic' work numerous times when a team needs a spark.

Not always...as in this case but it certainly didn't hurt and made watching worthwhile for 5 minutes at least.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Simple...read the post. I already said it didn't work because the majority of the rest are a bunch of p*****s....

I've watched hockey for 50 years and have seen the 'tactic' work numerous times when a team needs a spark.

Not always...as in this case but it certainly didn't hurt and made watching worthwhile for 5 minutes at least.

Ah, so the "evidence" is 'Well I've been watching hockey for a long time and have seen it work." Okay then. I am VERY open to having my mind changed on this if someone can present hard evidence that it actually helps.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ah, so the "evidence" is 'Well I've been watching hockey for a long time and have seen it work." Okay then. I am VERY open to having my mind changed on this if someone can present hard evidence that it actually helps.

Continuing to take it on the chin has been the Oilers MO for the last ten years.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Sure,,I'll just look back through thousands of game videos and find those ones for you because, well, you know you've never actually seen that in your many years of watching......:)

I'll move along now...Great to have Kassian.

Go Zack!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad