Zack Kassian VI - Riding the Pine or Riding Shotgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
...because hockey is a contact sport?

The only recent major injury I can recall that involved something outright dirty was Daniel's concussion. Even Booth's knee-on-knee injury was just sloppy play on Porter's part.

In high school the kid who doesn't push back gets picked on, in 2011 we were that kid, teams played us harder and would push our stars around cause they could get a way with it. It's great to have a player like Kassian who will stick up for teammates.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
...because hockey is a contact sport?

The only recent major injury I can recall that involved something outright dirty was Daniel's concussion. Even Booth's knee-on-knee injury was just sloppy play on Porter's part.

Edler's finger injuries in the finals from a Boston slash.
Bieksa ACL/MCL sprain(or something) in the finals from a slash.
Hank's back problems pre-playoffs from Weber slash + bash.
Raymond broken spine in the finals from an insanely dirty play by McQuaid?

What is preventable? Knowing somebody will go berserk and go through linesman/refs might prevent Edler's, Bieksa and maybe Raymond's injury? Not sure about Hank's injury since Weber doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Maybe if we have Probert in the lineup with 80's style refing.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
Edler's finger injuries in the finals from a Boston slash.
Bieksa ACL/MCL sprain(or something) in the finals from a slash.
Hank's back problems pre-playoffs from Weber slash + bash.
Raymond broken spine in the finals from an insanely dirty play by McQuaid?

What is preventable? Knowing somebody will go berserk and go through linesman/refs might prevent Edler's, Bieksa and maybe Raymond's injury? Not sure about Hank's injury since Weber doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. Maybe if we have Probert in the lineup with 80's style refing.

I believe Boychuk broke Raymonds back, and to be honest it was a clean hit. Just an unfortunate outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn97tELtNTI

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
In high school the kid who doesn't push back gets picked on, in 2011 we were that kid, teams played us harder and would push our stars around cause they could get a way with it. It's great to have a player like Kassian who will stick up for teammates.

In 2011 they were too scared to touch us because we would fall down, get a PP and score. It wasn't until we ran into Boston that we started to get pushed around and that's mainly because we hurt ourselves in previous series trying to be physical.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Interference for sure. He has the stick in between Raymond's legs for the can opener. He has grabbed hold. This is anything but a clean hit.

A clean hit would have had Raymond upright and taking the hit shoulder to shoulder, not bent over going into the boards backwards.

arsmaster*

In 2011 they were too scared to touch us because we would fall down, get a PP and score. It wasn't until we ran into Boston that we started to get pushed around and that's mainly because we hurt ourselves in previous series trying to be physical.

Eager took a nasty 100 foot run at Daniel and only got a 2min minor, that's when that chicky showed her breasts to him in the box.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
And why were we so banged up?...

For a multitude of reasons.

Interference for sure. He has the stick in between Raymond's legs for the can opener. He has grabbed hold. This is anything but a clean hit.

A clean hit would have had Raymond upright and taking the hit shoulder to shoulder, not bent over going into the boards backwards.

Definitely should've gotten something. Based on the NHL's MO of suspending due to injuries (see Rome on Horton, and he was called for interference officially in the exact same series).

Alflives*

Thank you. Someone who gets it, and the value of guys like Kassian. He was a steal in that Hodgson trade.

Nov 1, 2011

Counter-theory: Every team hopes that the refs will call penalties when there is anot infraction against them. We stopped getting calls even remotely called for us by veteran referees when we got another veteran referee (Auger) fired...it's a union job.

Our team was so good, it took an obvious and rediculous screw job to stop us from winning.

Being tough doesn't stop people from taking liberties against your guys...the Bruins are as tough as they come and they have lost their top centre due to a head shot (Savard) and Bergeron was trending that way as well.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Counter-theory: Every team hopes that the refs will call penalties when there is anot infraction against them. We stopped getting calls even remotely called for us by veteran referees when we got another veteran referee (Auger) fired...it's a union job.

Our team was so good, it took an obvious and rediculous screw job to stop us from winning.

Being tough doesn't stop people from taking liberties against your guys...the Bruins are as tough as they come and they have lost their top centre due to a head shot (Savard) and Bergeron was trending that way as well.

If you remember correctly, in the Chicago series calls were not exactly going our way. It was a little ridiculous. Turning point was definitely the lack of defensive depth -> the loss of Hamhuis is what really hurt (i'm certain we win the cup with him fully healthy for the rest of the series) and Rome pretty much broke the camel's back.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Eager took a nasty 100 foot run at Daniel and only got a 2min minor, that's when that chicky showed her breasts to him in the box.

Yep. When you play as well as the Canucks did that year, every team has your game circled on the calendar. That kind of thing can sneak up on you.

Want to ***** about reffing? Can't blame you, but in the end not closing out the CHI, NSH, and SJ series caught up to us. 3-6 in elimination games is horrible.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto

That was just the Bruins being the Bruins. You think Habs and Bolts fans don't remember all the times they took shots after whistles?

Also, that's a very simplistic way to look at bullying.

arsmaster*

Yep. When you play as well as the Canucks did that year, every team has your game circled on the calendar. That kind of thing can sneak up on you.

Want to ***** about reffing? Can't blame you, but in the end not closing out the CHI, NSH, and SJ series caught up to us. 3-6 in elimination games is horrible.

They closed out SJ in 5.

The turning point was when Kesler tore his groin to shreds chasing Boyle in game 5, if Kes is anywhere close to 80% rather than what looked like 45% and requiring surgery I think we come out of that series with something shiny.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
They closed out SJ in 5.

The turning point was when Kesler tore his groin to shreds chasing Boyle in game 5, if Kes is anywhere close to 80% rather than what looked like 45% and requiring surgery I think we come out of that series with something shiny.

Also the Nashville series would've been shorter had Luongo not kept on giving up goals from behind the goal line. I think in two games he did that, super frustrating.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
They closed out SJ in 5.

That and the MAlhotra injury, we lost our best defensive forward before the playoffs even began

arsmaster*

That and the MAlhotra injury, we lost our best defensive forward before the playoffs even began

I think Samuelsson was a bigger loss than Manny, personally.

Why are we talking about 2011:cry:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think Samuelsson was a bigger loss than Manny, personally.

Why are we talking about 2011:cry:

Because toughness was the missing ingredient to win the Cup apparently. Hamhuis wasn't tough enough, that's why he was hurt on the hit on Lucic!

arsmaster*

Because toughness was the missing ingredient to win the Cup apparently. Hamhuis wasn't tough enough, that's why he was hurt on the hit on Lucic!

Well, I know that, and I sort of started it, but I think the toughness and not backing down attitude that Samuelsson brought was surely missed.

-----

Now to Kassian, is he playing tonight?

Shink

Sep 25, 2014
Well, I know that, and I sort of started it, but I think the toughness and not backing down attitude that Samuelsson brought was surely missed.

-----

Apparently not according to my Score ticker.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

-----

Samuelsson had some serious take no **** juju going on from him. He wouldn't initiate anything, but if you provoked him he wasn't going to give you a free pass to do so. I liked that about him.

The biggest asset Samuelsson gave us was another really solid option to go with the Twins. If Burr was off, Sammy was on and vice versa. Gave us a different look as Burr was more cerebral and Samuelsson had a pretty fantastic shot when he was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad