News Article: Zack Kassian placed in stage 2 of NHL's Substance Abuse & Behavioral Wellness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The simple fact is he shouldn't have been in that situation at all. He was already in stage one of the leagues program. That in and of itself means he had a problem and was trying to fix it. Getting in the situation he got himself into shows he's not in control of his own life right now. It doesn't matter if it's scenario one two or three. He shouldn't have been out partying until anytime, period

Because the league suspended him without pay and put him in stage two of the program is enough to prove he showed bid judgement and relapsed into old habits. All the other details surrounding the event are irrelevant. A recovering substance abuser shouldn't be out partying at all. It's that simple.

You did explain why it isnt that simple actually.

and I wouldnt go as far as saying he has no control over his life, but whatever issue(s) he has, he still has.

Last edited:

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I just don't want it to be a distraction for the team. I'm not sure how I feel about the way pac spoke as it might have been a little too frank. Doesn't feel like he likes kassian much. We haven't had a media circus in some time. It's nice. Would like to keep it that way.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
You dont get that Bergevin dumped an 18 points in 82 games, 2.5m Brandon Prust for 16 points in 42 games 1.75m Zack Kassian AND a fifth rounder, and turned that remaining 750k savings from Prust into 27 points over 66 games Tomas Fleischmann.

How do you not get that? Even if Kassian never plays, Fleischmann is still better than Prust.

If Prust has a decent season, the Canucks can swap him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the trade deadline. Not so for Kassian…or Fleishman for that matter.

That said, I do like the Prust deal from a Habs' point of view.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
If Prust has a decent season, the Canucks can swap him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the trade deadline. Not so for Kassian…or Fleishman for that matter.

That said, I do like the Prust deal from a Habs' point of view.

Prust will never get a 2nd or a 3rd rounder. His body is falling apart and his hockey ability is below mediocre aside from his penalty killing and forechecking. I liked him during his time here, but not for his hockey play. His career is coming to an end.

Also his antics with the refs were bush league.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I just don't want it to be a distraction for the team. I'm not sure how I feel about the way pac spoke as it might have been a little too frank. Doesn't feel like he likes kassian much. We haven't had a media circus in some time. It's nice. Would like to keep it that way.

Would not read much into how Patches spoke. He is a new captain and probably figured he needed to sound stern publicly, and may be more supportive behind closed doors. Or, he could be a guy who is stern and meant every word , and his tone reflected how he feels about it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I find it strange that the politically correct Bergevin that never gives the media any kind of nugget...all of a sudden he's in a rush to throw Kassian under the bus.

I wasn't very happy with that. I have defended MB on a lot, but before you **** on somebody for poor character, get all your facts.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I find it strange that the politically correct Bergevin that never gives the media any kind of nugget...all of a sudden he's in a rush to throw Kassian under the bus.

I wasn't very happy with that. I have defended MB on a lot, but before you **** on somebody for poor character, get all your facts.

He was put in stage 2 of the substance abuse program. That means he was already in stage 1. There was a documented history that management knew about already. He also spoke with Kassian about it before camp even began. Kassian betrayed his trust.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He was put in stage 2 of the substance abuse program. That means he was already in stage 1. There was a documented history that management knew about already. He also spoke with Kassian about it before camp even began. Kassian betrayed his trust.

I don't think being put in Stage 1 of the NHL/NHLPA program is public or even team knowledge.

Maybe MB knew he had issues with nightlife/lifestyle and had a talk with him without knowing about the addiction.

Having an addiction is not necessarily a "character issue", many people have different kinds of addiction and need help dealing with them.

Kassian has the tools to be a very good NHL player and he showed some flashes in preseason, hits, fights and goals. Hopefully he gets the help needed and comes back stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad