Zack Kassian Car Accident (UPD: suspended by team, ordered to attend rehab)

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
You probably have a hard time understanding his post as you seem to have no basic compassion for others or a simple understanding of the human condition.

I would advise you to go to your local church and pray to your favorite deity for some intelligence and soul as you seem to be severely lacking there.
Are you sure you don't mean pray for the people who are sick, like Kassian? Your current wording makes you look arrogant and slightly off topic ;)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I did not say you were ignorant. I said you were truly ignorant as to the realities of alcoholism and addiction. The scientific realities, the physical realities, the mental realities, whatever you choose.

Your latest post confirms that point unequivocally.

You should educate yourself on any topic if you're going to make such polarizing black and white statements.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are complex issues that are pervasive in society. Chances are decent you'll come across it in your lifetime -- in the form of a friend, loved one, colleague, etc.

I hope you decide to learn more about the issue. God forbid you find yourself confronted by a friend who at some point needs a little support, compassion, or perhaps even some seemingly unwarranted love to help them through some demons. As it stands now, you'd be as useless as an umbrella in a hurricane. Good luck.

You and a few others have outlined some very important and overlooked points about substance abuse, drug addiction, and (in a broader, latent scale) mental illness. Well done.

For the record, nobody here is saying they are okay with Kassian having an addiction. Nobody is giving him a free pass. Nobody is making excuses.

What people are saying is there are a lot of factors that make this a complex issue, and judging people as good or bad based off of bad decisions demonstrates ignorance. Because the fact is, there are plenty of people who DO suffer from a predisposition to addiction and they make the right decision to stay away from the addictive substance. Kassian violating the stage 1 rules suggests he hasn't, though we don't know to what degree that's been violated.

The point is, it IS possible for someone to make a bad decision AND for outside viewers to acknowledge there's a problem which may have influenced that bad decision. Any time you have someone addicted to substances, hoarders, compulsive gamblers, spenders, people with Internet or gaming addictions, you should be able to acknowledge there is something more complex than "makes bad decisions/bad person."

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Are you sure you don't mean pray for the people who are sick, like Kassian? Your current wording makes you look arrogant and slightly off topic ;)

If I came across as arrogant it is because I am and I meant what I said.

This whole thread has gone off topic and devolved into a pissing match between those, such as myself, that feel addiction is a very real and serious health problem and those on the other extreme that are of the "Suck it up Nancy, get out and play" discipline.

Unlike most in the field I believe addiction in and of itself is not the disease it is merely a manifestation and symptom of a much more serious mental illness. One that must be identified and treated before harm reduction and recovery strategies can have any long term and lasting effects.

Anyway, I hope for his sake Kassian gets the help he needs as I would hope the same for any other person in his shoes and I know far to many.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
You and a few others have outlined some very important and overlooked points about substance abuse, drug addiction, and (in a broader, latent scale) mental illness. Well done.

For the record, nobody here is saying they are okay with Kassian having an addiction. Nobody is giving him a free pass. Nobody is making excuses.

What people are saying is there are a lot of factors that make this a complex issue, and judging people as good or bad based off of bad decisions demonstrates ignorance. Because the fact is, there are plenty of people who DO suffer from a predisposition to addiction and they make the right decision to stay away from the addictive substance. Kassian violating the stage 1 rules suggests he hasn't, though we don't know to what degree that's been violated.

The point is, it IS possible for someone to make a bad decision AND for outside viewers to acknowledge there's a problem which may have influenced that bad decision. Any time you have someone addicted to substances, hoarders, compulsive gamblers, spenders, people with Internet or gaming addictions, you should be able to acknowledge there is something more complex than "makes bad decisions/bad person."

I want to shake your hand so bad. Thank you for this fine post.

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo
Spoken like someone who has had zero (personal or familial) experience with alcohol or drug addiction.

It would be nice if life were black and white like that, but it's not.

Although I wouldn't put it in such a condescending way, I agree. The best thing for this guy is to walk away from the hockey lifestyle, and attend to his issues before he destroys an innocent person.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
It is a choice. Sure right now they may be addicted, but it started with a choice.

I don't have sympathy for people who make stupid decisions. I hate the fact that we have to be 'tolerant' to people who make bad choices. I've made conscience decisions to work my ass off and not spend my money on drugs. Why should I feel even slightly remorseful to someone who made the opposite decision and screwed up their life?

hockey players are often prescribed painkillers by their doctors, so it might not have been quite the 'choice' you are insinuating. these guys put their bodies through hell to earn their checks, and although most people say "well theyre rich, they can do this and that and this" and essentially dehumanize them or hold them to incredibly high standards. the fact is, these guys are humans just like you and I. my eyes were really opened with the Mike Richards case. he might have made the decision to take drugs, but it doesnt make his situation any less serious or sad. Id argue that its probably easier for these guys to get hooked on drugs in comparison to the average person. get off your high horse, bud

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Any statement made by Kassian on the matter yet?

don't think so, don't really expect one ( unless its second hand). PR is the last thing he should be worried about now and I hope that the montreal media does the human thing ( yeah I know its a stretch) and leaves him alone for a good long while.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
don't think so, don't really expect one ( unless its second hand). PR is the last thing he should be worried about now and I hope that the montreal media does the human thing ( yeah I know its a stretch) and leaves him alone for a good long while.

I thought about it... and there is no way he'll come out with a statement until he's cleared by doctors...

Focus on rehab, then address media when healthy...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad