Zack Kassian Car Accident (UPD: suspended by team, ordered to attend rehab)

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I'm sorry, I don't recall saying that Kassian should blame anyone else for his situation. Care to point me to where I said that?

Regardless, you make it sound like alcoholics and drug addicts simply make bad decisions for which they are solely and wholly responsible.

Wouldn't it be great if it were that simple. We'd just get them all together in a group and say "guys, guys, guys....... what you're not getting is that you make bad decisions........let's start making smart decisions, ok?".

And everyone would join in a circle and say "why didn't we think of that?. Let's start making good decisions guys." Then they'd put their hands in the middle and say "go team". Then everyone would make wise choices, no one would ever get hurt, and everyone would lead happy and productive lives.

I bet that group -- once they'd so quickly solved their alcohol and drug problems -- could then create a breakfast club and find a cure for cancer and world hunger. What with their newly clear minds that should be pretty quick and easy, eh?

:shakehead

It is a choice. Sure right now they may be addicted, but it started with a choice.

I don't have sympathy for people who make stupid decisions. I hate the fact that we have to be 'tolerant' to people who make bad choices. I've made conscience decisions to work my ass off and not spend my money on drugs. Why should I feel even slightly remorseful to someone who made the opposite decision and screwed up their life?

Last edited:

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
It is a choice. Sure right now they may be addicted, but it started with a choice.

I don't have sympathy for people who make stupid decisions. I hate the fact that we have to 'tolerant' to people who make bad choices. I've made conscience decisions to work my ass off and not spend my money on drugs. Why should I feel even slightly remorseful to someone who made the opposite decision and screwed up their life?

What about fat people who eat too much and bog down the health care system? Stupids

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's different than people drinking in excess all the time.

I don't know that I know anyone that doesn't really drink, but there's probably only a handful that can't just have a beer or two.

You're right. I know there's a lot of people out there that do not drink until they are stupid, I just notice the drunks because they are much louder(or more passed out) than the rest.

I just hope some good will come out of this, like Kassian turning it around and becoming a positive mentor for all of those in similar situations.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don't know that the return was really that bad for a guy that has proven nothing. I'd probably still prefer Prust.

That's kinda what I read too. Just wasn't sure if you can out right be put into Stage 2 based on severity.

Players can be directly entered into stage 2, however it requires the player be convicted (including plea bargains) for a controlled substance offense. Which obvious isn't the case with Kassian.

So he must have already been in the substance program stage 1.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Players can be directly entered into stage 2, however it requires the player be convicted (including plea bargains) for a controlled substance offense. Which obvious isn't the case with Kassian.

So he must have already been in the substance program stage 1.

Confirmed, for the record:

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Habs should have kept Prust.

Bergevin's blunder.

I disagree.

Prust's time in Montreal was at an end. He was well liked in the locker room and there was no way management could send him down or bench him without looking like total dicks. Even if the Habs get nothing in return for Prust it still takes his 2.5M cap hit off the books which is a good move IMO.

The real loser in this trade is Kassian. He had a chance to get his act together with a new team who's contending for top spot in the East and he blows it completely the weekend before the season starts. He's a true champion of good decisions.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I don't have sympathy for people who make stupid decisions. I hate the fact that we have to be 'tolerant' to people who make bad choices. I've made conscience decisions to work my ass off and not spend my money on drugs. Why should I feel even slightly remorseful to someone who made the opposite decision and screwed up their life?

I suspect you've had a drink before. Perhaps even tried a drug once or twice? I don't know.

However, if either of the above is true, then I guess you are just lucky you're not predisposed to alcoholism or addiction.

Of course if at some point in your future you are demonized by either then I guess we'll just have to go back to the ridiculous and inherently foolish decision you made to try that very first drink or drug -- without thinking ahead that it might not end well.

Seriously -- I'm not saying Kassian (or any of the hundreds of thousands who lose their jobs, families, freedom, or health due to drug and alcohol addiction) does not have to accept and come to terms with the decisions he's made and where they've taken them. They are his to own and he needs to now deal with the consequences of same.

However, think for just a moment. You have a guy who has it all in the palm of his hand but is seeing it go to rat crap by virtue of being put into Step One of the league program. Next he has (apparently) discussions with his new employer about the need to clean up his act and take advantage of maybe his last chance in hockey just says "screw it, I'll go out and do something stupid" just because he's bad at decisions??????

I'm not saying you need to be sympathetic to anyone you don't want to be. But if you're going to take such a holier than thou attitude you should educate yourself to the realities of addiction and alcoholism. Because as of now, you are truly ignorant on the subject.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
However, think for just a moment. You have a guy who has it all in the palm of his hand but is seeing it go to rat crap by virtue of being put into Step One of the league program. Next he has (apparently) discussions with his new employer about the need to clean up his act and take advantage of maybe his last chance in hockey just says "screw it, I'll go out and do something stupid" just because he's bad at decisions??????

100% yes.

Chalk me up as another who will never follow the line of thinking that making bad decisions is a "disease" that I should be forced to accommodate or empathize with.

I hate living in a world that tries to force me to accept whatever horrible, destructive behaviors and belief systems other people have, and treat intolerance of such behavior as the problem.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
100% yes.

Chalk me up as another who will never follow the line of thinking that making bad decisions is a "disease" that I should be forced to accommodate or empathize with.

I hate living in a world that tries to force me to accept whatever horrible, destructive behaviors and belief systems other people have, and treat intolerance of such behavior as the problem.

How are you being forced to accept or accommodate anything. You can have compassion for people who have addictions or not. No-one is making you behave in any way that you don't want to. Just like you would never suggest that those who do have compassion for Kass, problems and all, and would like to help him, don't act on that.
So it's easy. You don't want to be bothered with people with these types of problems. Other people want to help. People are allowed to think and believe different things.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston

I'll stay in reality where it is the norm to drink alcohol, even try drugs.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
100% yes.

Well I guess you just lead a perfect life and walk the straight and narrow throughout. Good for you.

You ever lit a firework off? Lucky you're not that NFL player who blew his thumb off.

You ever driven over the speed lint? Lucky you're not the thousands who die each year due to speed related accidents.

You ever played a contact sport that is shown to carry a higher than average risk of concussions? Lucky you're not any of the NFL or NHL players with debilitating CTE.

You ever had a drink? Lucky you're not predisposed to alcoholism.

You ever had a drug? Lucky you're not predisposed to addiction.

You ever ONCE texted while driving? Lucky you didn't ruin your life by killing another driver.

The list goes on.

No one says we have to be tolerant of bad choices. But I guess if you ever fall prey to significant misfortune stemming from a bad decision -- your family and friends should just adopt the attitude of "sucks to be you, eh?".

By the way, no one is expecting you to sympathize or accept or condone anything Zach Kassian or anyone else who makes bad choices. My guess is you've never met or laid eyes on the guy in person.

Just suggesting that adopting such a judgmental/holier than thou attitude to life works well unless you're dealing with humans -- most of whom are imperfect to some degree or another. Present company excluding if we're talking about you though, i guess.:help:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
100% yes.

reality : you never bothered trying to understand any of of the "horrible, destructive" stuff you're speaking of, not once, takes too much of an effort to think of something else than yourself I'd guess. So yeah, "meh! bad decision".

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Too many apologists in this thread. Guy had a chance to start over fresh in MTL and screwed up

A lot of us Canucks fans are disappointed in Kassian and really wanted to see him do well :shakehead

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
NHL might be uncovering a little drug problem thats been around for a while now
Kinda what happens when you bury your head in the sand and always get defensive when outsiders suggest there is a problem.

Guys were actually dying who had addictions so for them to just say it was all good was quite wrong.
They dealt with the problem by sending him to Montreal. :naughty:

In all honesty they did what the should've. They sent him through stage 1, tried to work with him then decided to move him. What more should they have really done?

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I suspect you've had a drink before. Perhaps even tried a drug once or twice? I don't know.

However, if either of the above is true, then I guess you are just lucky you're not predisposed to alcoholism or addiction.

Of course if at some point in your future you are demonized by either then I guess we'll just have to go back to the ridiculous and inherently foolish decision you made to try that very first drink or drug -- without thinking ahead that it might not end well.

Seriously -- I'm not saying Kassian (or any of the hundreds of thousands who lose their jobs, families, freedom, or health due to drug and alcohol addiction) does not have to accept and come to terms with the decisions he's made and where they've taken them. They are his to own and he needs to now deal with the consequences of same.

I'm not saying you need to be sympathetic to anyone you don't want to be. But if you're going to take such a holier than thou attitude you should educate yourself to the realities of addiction and alcoholism. Because as of now, you are truly ignorant on the subject.

How am I ignorant? The only fact I stated is that it starts with a choice, or really a series of choices.

You can be predisposed to alcoholism and still overcome it with a brain that makes proper decisions. A disease is something like ALS. Alcoholism starts with a series of choices. Also many people (not all) recover from alcoholism on their own, after the consequences outweigh whatever relief they get from alcohol. That proves my point; its a choice may even be a difficult one but it's still a choice. No one has ever overcame ALS by working out their on conscience.

Also your point about having that first drink. Do you really believe people have one drink and are automatically alcoholics? No there's time for reflection between that first drink and the time you become an alcoholic.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
If Kassian had a problem, why didn't the Canucks deal with it? Just saying...

They're keeping it very quiet but he was initiated in stage one of this program as a Canuck. And who knows what they did or didn't do for him behind the scenes.

Bottom line is they supported him, kept his problems under wraps and gave him a chance in another organization for a fresh start.

Just what else is Vancouver expected to do for him?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How am I ignorant? The only fact I stated is that it starts with a choice, or really a series of choices.

You can be predisposed to alcoholism and still overcome it with a brain that makes proper decisions. A disease is something like ALS. Alcoholism starts with a series of choices. Also many people (not all) recover from alcoholism on their own, after the consequences outweigh whatever relief they get from alcohol. That proves my point; its a choice may even be a difficult one but it's still a choice. No one has ever overcame ALS by working out their on conscience.

Also your point about having that first drink. Do you really believe people have one drink and are automatically alcoholics? No there's time for reflection between that first drink and the time you become an alcoholic.

I did not say you were ignorant. I said you were truly ignorant as to the realities of alcoholism and addiction. The scientific realities, the physical realities, the mental realities, whatever you choose.

Your latest post confirms that point unequivocally.

You should educate yourself on any topic if you're going to make such polarizing black and white statements.

Alcoholism and drug addiction are complex issues that are pervasive in society. Chances are decent you'll come across it in your lifetime -- in the form of a friend, loved one, colleague, etc.

I hope you decide to learn more about the issue. God forbid you find yourself confronted by a friend who at some point needs a little support, compassion, or perhaps even some seemingly unwarranted love to help them through some demons. As it stands now, you'd be as useless as an umbrella in a hurricane. Good luck.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I don't feel sorry for the guy. He had a chance to start over in Montreal and actually take his career seriously and he pissed it all away before the season even started.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
IMO compassion =/= approval.

He's got a problem. If he want to play professional hockey, he needs to deal with it and take care of it. If he doesn't, he won't play. Simple as that.

It can still be a sad thing. What a waste of talent and a possibilities. Everyone won't get as good of a chance. Or professional help. The rest is up to him.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I wondered why the Canucks got so ripped off on that trade.

Now it's obvious that they knew that Kassian had some problems... like personal demons? (if that isnt going too far) and they wanted to get a serviceable player out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad