Rumor: Zacha agrees to terms w/ Avangard (KHL) (not officially announced yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
On positive note, this makes fellow 1st rounder Mikey McLeod's debilitating Fortnite addiction seems like no big deal relatively. He's still young! Ya never know!

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I swear just like a month ago devils fans were raving about how good he was at the end of the season and they wouldn’t trade him for anything? Did I miss something?

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
The report is just "agrees to terms" for now.

It's funny cause during draft meetings before 2015 draft I can tell you very accurately there was 1 scout that pushed hard and fought for NJ to draft Barzal. The rest of the scouts/management said he was too small and couldn't skate well.

That scout and NJ parted ways after that situation and he now scouts elsewhere(sorry I'm not gonna say what team he is with now)

Woulda been cool seeing Barzal in NJ

I think the entire Devils scouting department has been remade since the 2015 draft. That was the last of the Lamoriello/Conte drafts.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If he was any good someone might have offered him something. Teams aren't running around clamoring for 25 point forwards that think they deserve top 6 minutes.

The Hawks gave Dylan Strome a chance. Sometimes it doesn't work for one team but it does work for another team. If you watch Zacha play it's very obvious that he has the tools to be a good 2C. There aren't a handful of teams that need a top six center badly enough to take a flyer on Zacha? I don't believe it.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I swear just like a month ago devils fans were raving about how good he was at the end of the season and they wouldn’t trade him for anything? Did I miss something?

If he's asking for $3M+/year, it's hard to see us signing him to that. Zacha did have a great 20 games, but he's now stuck behind Hughes, Hischier, and Zajac and pretty securely stuck in the 4th line center role. Paying a 4th line center that much money isn't a wise move. I hope he stays - he's definitely got potential and he did have a great 20 games, and he is without a doubt our best option at 4th line center - but for something more reasonable in terms of price.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Ya. You did.

The exact same thing happened to Edmonton, Smartguy.

Reactions: Kallio

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Not happy about this at all, really liked the guy, even if he wasn’t performing to draft position expections. Thought he was defensively really good and seemed to start finding his game late last season. Oh well what can you do..

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I can see it from his side... I mean, he was a really top draft pick and probably still sees himself as 'hot stuff' relatively speaking. Whereas his NHL progression seemed to be tracking in a more mundane direction... decent 3rd liner.

I guess if I was in NJ's shoes... with a ton of cap space sitting open... I'd probably have tried a little harder to just follow through on the investment. Maybe he's not ever going to be more than a decent 3rd liner. But I wouldn't be dicking around over $500k or $1M at this point on his contract. Pay him a little more than he's worth on a bridge deal and just see if the investment pays off or not. His performance probably argues $1-1.5M contract. But what the heck, if I spent a top-10 pick on the guy and he's otherwise going KHL, and my team is sitting on a mountain of unused cap space... it doesn't really hurt me to bridge him at 2x$2.5M. The Devils could have afforded to be a little extravagant here, no? :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Hawks gave Dylan Strome a chance. Sometimes it doesn't work for one team but it does work for another team. If you watch Zacha play it's very obvious that he has the tools to be a good 2C. There aren't a handful of teams that need a top six center badly enough to take a flyer on Zacha? I don't believe it.
The Hawks also acquired Strome via trade.

And no it is not very obvious Zacha has the tools to be a good 2C, because a good 2C will put up more than 25 points. Zacha is barely a #3C at this point in time and has shown 0 offensive growth since coming into the league.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I can understand being penciled in as the 4C as well as having zero leverage to make any type of bigger bucks opened up the door to the KHL..

but still, this is a shame. I already had a scenario in my head where Hughes starts struggling and Zacha finds chemistry with Gusev, sparking him to the best stretch of his career to date.

Less depth for the Devils.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, Zacha going to Russia is probably a best case scenario for the Devils. As it stands he probably wasn't going to make the top 9 and now he will get the chance to play prime minutes in the KHL and hopefully spur his offensive development. The best part for NJ is that with no transfer agreement, if he ever wants to return to the NHL, it will be with the Devils or whomever they decide to trade his rights too.

Reactions: Futures Passed

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
its a loss, as there is potential there. However can you imagine taking Zaka only to have the next 4 picks as

Provorov
Werenski
Meier
Rantanen

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
giphy.gif

See what you did Zacha? YOU MADE NARUTO CRY. :(

Also, with the Hughes addition, Zajac moves to third line center. He would have been limited to either fourth line center or maybe third line wing and he would have had competition for playing time there as well. Honestly, it might not be a bad thing for New Jersey because he can develop with less pressure while getting more playing time in the KHL. Then they can bring him back if/when there is a roster spot down the line and, ideally, he has developed into a better player. If he does well over there for a few seasons he could get is trade value up eventually too. I kind of feel the same way about Puljujarvi- except Zacha is actually an NHL player right now, even if not a particularly amazing one. Honestly, the KHL make some sense as a developmental league when you think about it. Especially since Zacha has already had significant time playing North America, so he won't be stunned by the playing style if/when he returns eventually. Meh.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
The title of this thread is incorrect and misleading

Zacha has not signed. He has agreed to terms. Which are 2 different things... Nothing is official yet.

Reactions: HBK27

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He was going to play on the 4th line and probably make no more than 1.5-2M, I don't blame him for not wanting to do that. His offer from Omsk would definitely be better than that. And we still retain his rights.

Still, sucks, he is an elite PKer and looked like he was finally making strides in his offensive game. But if he wants to go beat up randos in a lesser league and come back in a few years when we may have more room, fine.

Reactions: trufleshufle13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad