Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What was the purpose of either hit?

Parise already batted the puck before either player started their run.
If Parise plays the puck like he should've, he still has the puck when both guys arrive. Both Chiarot and Schiefele are skating towards the puck/Parise well before Parise plays the puck, so your 2nd point is flat out wrong. When Parise bats the puckout of the zone, he makes himself the only Wild player elligible to play the puck. That makes it an easy decision for Chiarot to eliminate him from the play. Schiefele's hit was cheap,and should've been called, but it wasn't anything close to being something to get worked up about.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If Parise plays the puck like he should've, he still has the puck when both guys arrive. Both Chiarot and Schiefele are skating towards the puck/Parise well before Parise plays the puck, so your 2nd point is flat out wrong. When Parise bats the puckout of the zone, he makes himself the only Wild player elligible to play the puck. That makes it an easy decision for Chiarot to eliminate him from the play. Schiefele's hit was cheap,and should've been called, but it wasn't anything close to being something to get worked up about.
You just made my point. Chiarot watches Parise bat the puck and THEN he takes himself out of a defensive position to lay a hit on Parise, the guy who lit them up that game.

Schiefele does the same and goes to sandwich Parise with a high cross check.

There was no hockey play at all. Just an intent to injury, which was successful.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
After the 2017-18 season, I would say there are more important things than individual skill... Like team play, good defense and spirit.

Parise has nailed every one of those in my books. (and I even used to criticize him)
You forgot the most important one. Staying on the ice.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You just made my point. Chiarot watches Parise bat the puck and THEN he takes himself out of a defensive position to lay a hit on Parise, the guy who lit them up that game.

Schiefele does the same and goes to sandwich Parise with a high cross check.

There was no hockey play at all. Just an intent to injury, which was successful.
You have no clue what you're looking at.

Chiarot is stepping up to hold the blueline. Scheifele is coming back to the puck. Both arrive when the puck does. When Parise bats the puck into the neutral zone insteadof playing it, the only option left is to play the body. Chiarot's hit is textbook and perfectly legal in every way. Schiefele's is a crosscheck and should've been a penalty. Saying that this isn't a hockey play simply shows a lack of understanding the game.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014

Chiarot is stepping up to hold the blueline. Scheifele is coming back to the puck. Both arrive when the puck does. When Parise bats the puck into the neutral zone insteadof playing it, the only option left is to play the body. Chiarot's hit is textbook and perfectly legal in every way. Schiefele's is a crosscheck and should've been a penalty. Saying that this isn't a hockey play simply shows a lack of understanding the game.
What do you mean when you say "instead of playing it"? 1. He did play it. 2. He made the correct play, that is, get the puck out of the zone. I don't see any other option for him, especially when two guys are bearing down on him.

Frankly I hate this play. Puck goes up in the air, guy reaches up to control it and opposing players take the opportunity to hammer him while he's extended and vulnerable. It may be legal, but I think it's gutless and an attempt to injure a vulnerable player.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Try harder. Chiarot is definitely not holding the blueline. He started outside the zone and wasnt initially stepping up because if he had and the puck hit the ice he would have been burned. He saw Parise stop and go to bat it, which Chiarot saw as an opportunity not to play the puck, but give Parise a big hit. Schiefele saw Chiarot coming down and thought it was be a great time to pin him, which is why he went with the cross check.

You are twisting in circles just to avoid the obvious. Jets were pissed. They went for a cheat shot against the guy who was the offensive force that game.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What do you mean when you say "instead of playing it"? 1. He did play it. 2. He made the correct play, that is, get the puck out of the zone. I don't see any other option for him, especially when two guys are bearing down on him.

Frankly I hate this play. Puck goes up in the air, guy reaches up to control it and opposing players take the opportunity to hammer him while he's extended and vulnerable. It may be legal, but I think it's gutless and an attempt to injure a vulnerable player.
If the argument is that Parise had to rush to bat the puck because he had 2 guys bearing down on him, then there can be no argument that the hits are late or unnecessary.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Try harder. Chiarot is definitely not holding the blueline. He started outside the zone and wasnt initially stepping up because if he had and the puck hit the ice he would have been burned. He saw Parise stop and go to bat it, which Chiarot saw as an opportunity not to play the puck, but give Parise a big hit. Schiefele saw Chiarot coming down and thought it was be a great time to pin him, which is why he went with the cross check.

You are twisting in circles just to avoid the obvious. Jets were pissed. They went for a cheat shot against the guy who was the offensive force that game.
In your opinion, what is the proper way for both Chiarot and Scheifele to play this situation?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

And at the end of one of the games that we lost, Seeler tried to jump a guy on the Jets; could've given him a bad head injury. Stuff like this and that happens in the playoffs all of the time.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Dang.

I don't know but a person might be able to make an argument that Zach has been our MVP this season.

He's been great.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Just looked at the stats and Zach is way up in points...at his age, and everyone around here bitching about how we way overpaid for him. lol

I've always felt he was worth it...and he has not proved me wrong.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's only not been worth it for ~ a season and a half.

Out of 7, that's not too bad.
I would sign the deal all over again in a second, but you would really have to stretch things to claim that he has ever really been worth it. Even 7 years after signing his deal, he's still among the top 20 highest paid forwards.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
By NHL standards he's older than dirt...and leading his team in goals and points by a healthy margin. Not including his veteran leadership, he's having a great season.

He just busts his -ss unlike anyone else I've ever seen in the League. No matter what. He's exemplary in his effort, day in and day out.

Reactions: Synesthesia

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I would sign the deal all over again in a second, but you would really have to stretch things to claim that he has ever really been worth it. Even 7 years after signing his deal, he's still among the top 20 highest paid forwards.

He's been a 30+ goal, 65+ point caliber player over those years, and has been our best playoff performer by a mile. A very big part of how we've made the playoffs every year in his time here, and hardly the reason that we haven't advanced.

Reactions: Northerner

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's been a 30+ goal, 65+ point caliber player over those years, and has been our best playoff performer by a mile. A very big part of how we've made the playoffs every year in his time here, and hardly the reason that we haven't advanced.
And none of those things make him worth being the 6th highest paid forward in the NHL when he got here.

FTR- He has never scored 65 points here and has a grand total of one 30 goal season out of seven.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And none of those things make him worth being the 6th highest paid forward in the NHL when he got here.

FTR- He has never scored 65 points here and has a grand total of one 30 goal season out of seven.

That's why included the keyword "caliber". He was that caliber of player with injury troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad