Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Have we ever played a game without both?

Maybe the mumps thing? Suter has been pretty bulletproof, so not likely.

Yes the Wild played a lot of games without both of them, all before the 12-13 season. :sarcasm: (someone had to say it)

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
f8f0fd2a2f6463de00c90cd19cc840c9dca1cf4f_hq.gif

f***ing hell. We can't catch a break.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

Anyone else feel that this sandwich hit doesn't need to be made in a 6-2 game with 4 minutes left?

I think someone, anyone, on the -Ild should take somebody's head off for that dirty sh--. Seriously it pisses me off.

Parise was one of the hottest players on the planet going into the post season. Whatever.

I wish we had someone that would rip Laine's head off,then see how Winnipeg likes it. Dirty sh--

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jagged Ice outta nowhere! Been a minute since I’ve seen you around.

Something needs to be done this offseason.

Except what? Fire Bruce? There isn't a lot that can be done this off-season but just stay the course. Greenway can help, but that's just one player. Kunin -should- be back, but who knows what kind of shape he'll be in. I guess we can trade a defenseman like Brodin or Spurgeon...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wild star Zach Parise back to 100 percent, already eager for next season

Wild star Zach Parise was undoubtedly the team’s best player down the stretch last season. He closed the regular season with 12 goals over the final 18 games and continued that offensive prowess into the postseason, scoring a goal in each of the first three games of a first-round series against the Winnipeg Jets.

Unfortunately for Parise, he finished last season on the shelf, as a fractured sternum on a random play at center ice ended his postseason before it could really even get going.

While it was another frustrating injury for the 33-year-old Parise, he had no interest in talking about it on Saturday afternoon at the second annual Wild On The Water on Lake Mille Lacs.

“I don’t anticipate that being a problem,” Parise said, confirming that he feels 100 percent and shifting the focus ahead to next season. “It feels good.”

In fact, Parise is feeling so good on his road to recovery that he has decided to participate in Da Beauty League, a weekly 4-on-4 league that features dozens of NHL players. He played in his first game last week at Braemar Arena in Edina, and while there wasn’t much contact, it gave him a taste of an actual game.

“It was good,” Parise said, noting that he still hasn’t taken a hit. “I’ve been skating for awhile, so it wasn’t my first time or anything like that.”

Besides the fluky injury in the postseason, Parise also missed nearly half of last season after having back surgery in mid-October. He has no concerns about either of those injuries heading into next season, pointing to his play down the stretch as evidence that he was on his way to feeling back to normal.

“It was nice to feel normal again on the ice,” Parise said. “That was the biggest thing for me. It had been awhile. That was nice. That was relieving. I’m looking forward to doing that again next season.”

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Lets assume for a second Parise stays healthy. He has a good off-season to get in shape without any issues and stays relatively healthy throughout the season. What kind of Zach Parise can we expect? Does he still have 30+ goals in him? I've always loved Zach and would absolutely love to see him be successful yet again.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Lets assume for a second Parise stays healthy. He has a good off-season to get in shape without any issues and stays relatively healthy throughout the season. What kind of Zach Parise can we expect? Does he still have 30+ goals in him? I've always loved Zach and would absolutely love to see him be successful yet again.
He showed in the 2nd half this past season, that if he's healthy, he can still play at a very high level. IMO the question is, can he do that for a full season again?

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
He showed in the 2nd half this past season, that if he's healthy, he can still play at a very high level. IMO the question is, can he do that for a full season again?

He definitely did that, once he got his legs under him and his head screwed in right. That's the Parise I'd love to see playing a full season.

Is it realistic to think he could still be a 30-goal scorer, if he can stay healthy?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
He definitely did that, once he got his legs under him and his head screwed in right. That's the Parise I'd love to see playing a full season.

Is it realistic to think he could still be a 30-goal scorer, if he can stay healthy?

He's scored at that rate so yes. But it's more likely that he will slip due to loss of ice time. Had a high shooting percentage last season too. His defensive game is starting to slip though and to save him, it's reasonable to think he'll play fewer minutes. Still pretty efficient for his age but time catches us all.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Way too small of a sample size last year for me to get excited about him. His ongoing fragility is beyond worrisome.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he can stay healthy for a full season I wouldn't be at all surprised by 30-30. I would guess between 25-25 and 30-30.

Reactions: TaLoN

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Full season healthy I think he could sniff 40. 30 would seem likely. Hasn’t been a decline of skill with him (yet), its staying on the ice.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He's scored at that rate so yes. But it's more likely that he will slip due to loss of ice time. Had a high shooting percentage last season too. His defensive game is starting to slip though and to save him, it's reasonable to think he'll play fewer minutes. Still pretty efficient for his age but time catches us all.

His shooting percentage was perfectly within his normal range, even if it was on the higher end of his normal range. He's shot between 12 and 13% 5 out of his 13 seasons.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
He seems like he'll always be impressively recovering from injuries, Cool Hand Luke imprisoned in his own body, betting himself to drink 50 chocolate milks in an hour to get the bone strength to break out.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
His shooting percentage was perfectly within his normal range, even if it was on the higher end of his normal range. He's shot between 12 and 13% 5 out of his 13 seasons.

"Perfectly" - ok - except also on the high end of his career range, which is what I said. His shooting percentage last season was a full percentage point higher than his career average. That's "high," not ridiculous but he's turning 34 in a couple of days - smart money isn't on an increase.

Dany Heatley was a career 14.5% shooter. His last three seasons saw a pretty significant drop (he was a 10% shooter with the Wild, ages 31-33). Diminished ability - it happens to everyone.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
"Perfectly" - ok - except also on the high end of his career range, which is what I said. His shooting percentage last season was a full percentage point higher than his career average. That's "high," not ridiculous but he's turning 34 in a couple of days - smart money isn't on an increase.

Dany Heatley was a career 14.5% shooter. His last three seasons saw a pretty significant drop (he was a 10% shooter with the Wild, ages 31-33). Diminished ability - it happens to everyone.

Personally, I think there is a a distinct difference between having a "High Shooting percentage" like Wild Bill shooting 24% and expecting significant regression(15 + goals regression). And shooting on the high side of your normal range like Parise. If Parise shot his career average, it was the difference of like 2 goals and a 27 goal 82 game pace instead of a 31 goal pace.

To me, that's a significant distinction that warrants pointing out.

As far as the Heatley comparison, diminished ability does happen, but you could expect Heatley's to be more pronounced because his scoring ability was predicated on his out of the world shot. Parise's scoring ability has never been about the shot itself, which is probably an average shot on it's best days, it's about positioning and out-working the other team. Out of his 139 goals in a Wild uniform, we could probably count on 2 hands the amount of goals that came further than 5 feet from the net(*hyperbole, but probably not too far from the truth). As long as he continues to work his ass off and his body allows him to, he'll probably be a decent scorer.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Personally, I think there is a a distinct difference between having a "High Shooting percentage" like Wild Bill shooting 24% and expecting significant regression(15 + goals regression). And shooting on the high side of your normal range like Parise. If Parise shot his career average, it was the difference of like 2 goals and a 27 goal 82 game pace instead of a 31 goal pace.

To me, that's a significant distinction that warrants pointing out.

As far as the Heatley comparison, diminished ability does happen, but you could expect Heatley's to be more pronounced because his scoring ability was predicated on his out of the world shot. Parise's scoring ability has never been about the shot itself, which is probably an average shot on it's best days, it's about positioning and out-working the other team. Out of his 139 goals in a Wild uniform, we could probably count on 2 hands the amount of goals that came further than 5 feet from the net(*hyperbole, but probably not too far from the truth). As long as he continues to work his ass off and his body allows him to, he'll probably be a decent scorer.

...which was essentially the first sentence of my original post. I pretty much agree with what you're saying, all I said was that - for any player in his mid-30s - expecting a higher than career average shooting percentage is probably not wise. Parise is obviously an exceptional athlete so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->