Player Discussion Zach Parise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If Parise is healthy, skates at least 70 games, he'll score 30. His legs are healthy and the mileage isn't too bad on his other parts assuming his back doesn't become a problem. And by mileage I mean compared to other players his age. He has sat out so much time with his low back injury that his other body parts have been able to not see much abuse.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
If Parise is healthy, skates at least 70 games, he'll score 30. His legs are healthy and the mileage isn't too bad on his other parts assuming his back doesn't become a problem. And by mileage I mean compared to other players his age. He has sat out so much time with his low back injury that his other body parts have been able to not see much abuse.

I agree with this assessment, but I think ZP needs to change his style of play a little so he doesn't take so much punishment . Sadly, I don't see him lasting much longer if he doesn't. Those injuries should be a wake up call for this talented veteran.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I agree with this assessment, but I think ZP needs to change his style of play a little so he doesn't take so much punishment . Sadly, I don't see him lasting much longer if he doesn't. Those injuries should be a wake up call for this talented veteran.
Parise doesn't bring much to the table outside of hard work and effort. He doesn't have the skill to play a perimeter game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Old dog, new tricks?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's got a good shot, good hands and quick release. With this speed I don't know why he needs to drive to the net all the time. Seems there would be an easier way to play this game.
He really doesn't. He does have an uncanny ability to be where the puck pops loose, and a tireless work ethic, but if he starts to avoid the front of the net, he's done.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
if he can't get to, and maintain his spot on the ice any more then he won't be effective.

Reactions: 2Pair

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm optimistic for him. He looked great in the second half and playoffs last year. Expecting 70+ games and ~25 goals.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I think that a few of the responses on here are actually both correct. Parise does score most his goals in the dirty hard areas in the glorious midst of battling at least two other players for the puck. But, Parise has shown throughout his career he is very, very accurate when he has a chance to be. He is/was great in a shootout, he's got moves, and he can place a puck.

He doesn't have a rocket of a slapper, he doesn't have the quickest snapper, but he has a strong and accurate wrister.

He has a lot of skill, actually. He just doesn't know how to play a skilled game, and at this point in his career it may be a bit awkward of a choice to try to play that game.

Reactions: a79krgm

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis

Anyone else feel that this sandwich hit doesn't need to be made in a 6-2 game with 4 minutes left?

First time I seen a clip of this. That was ridiculous the sandwich shot he took in a game that was already decided.

Big Parise fan, hope he bounces back with good health and puts in some full seasons in the coming years. Still like the Wild's team for the upcoming season and expect them to be a playoff team this year.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I mean this is the year where Parise has to show that his worst contract of the league won't be even more of that. I expect 60 points from him but a bit under won't be that bad. Funny how things have gone since many were demanding him to take captaincy from Koivu. Well who would still think that way?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
First time I seen a clip of this. That was ridiculous the sandwich shot he took in a game that was already decided.

Big Parise fan, hope he bounces back with good health and puts in some full seasons in the coming years. Still like the Wild's team for the upcoming season and expect them to be a playoff team this year.
It really bothered me that hockey media acted like this play was a normal hockey play. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Game was decided. Harmless play. Puck was batted out of the zone. And two Jets players take simultaneous runs at Parise and cross check him with the intent to hurt him as much as possible.

It's crap like this that needs to get taken out of the game. Not two players awkwardly running into each other at full speed.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I mean this is the year where Parise has to show that his worst contract of the league won't be even more of that. I expect 60 points from him but a bit under won't be that bad. Funny how things have gone since many were demanding him to take captaincy from Koivu. Well who would still think that way?
I expect bare minimum 20+20. I think my prediction for him will be 26+31.

Reactions: MVPGoon

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It really bothered me that hockey media acted like this play was a normal hockey play. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Game was decided. Harmless play. Puck was batted out of the zone. And two Jets players take simultaneous runs at Parise and cross check him with the intent to hurt him as much as possible.

It's crap like this that needs to get taken out of the game. Not two players awkwardly running into each other at full speed.

Hitting a guy a tiny fraction of a second after he plays the puck needs to be taken out of the game? Maybe hockey isn't your sport, bud.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was a bit of a blind sided hit, but didn't target the head, and was nowhere near the boards. There are a lot more things that take place in games that I can save my outrage for than this hit, i.e. hits from behind into boards, chopping at goalies when they clearly have the puck covered, shots to the face after the whistle blows, crosschecks to the lower back, just for starters.

That play was just a weird one, with the puck floating up in the air, and ZP waiting under it like a punt returner. Should have fair caught it.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
He really hasn't been the star of the team for a few years, but I've still liked the way he has handled it. He's got a lot of pressure and he has still managed to do a lot of good work for the team.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The money he gets paid this season is a fair league value for his contributions, his effort level. You can see the greatness, and I hope he can play his best hockey this May and June.

Having regrets about defending the sandwich on Parise, but it was the playoffs. Regular season one of the two Jets should have held up and he might have be fine.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Hitting a guy a tiny fraction of a second after he plays the puck needs to be taken out of the game? Maybe hockey isn't your sport, bud.

That was more than a tiny fraction. That puck was way up in the air and Parise was a target. That was intent to injure. Especially the 2nd guy skating in from Center ice, he had no reason to continue on in with the crunch, and it was his hit that probably did Parise in with the sternum.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
You are right. Parise should have toughed out that double cross check charge. What a wuss for breaking his sternum.

Hockey should definitely plant its flag on non-hockey plays targetting star players in the dying minutes of a well-decided game. That will drive people to the sport. Get back to the good old days when Gretzky was forced to play with a goon on his line.

Pointless injury is the name of the game. I mean, look at football, these days kids are just flocking to that sport!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You are right. Parise should have toughed out that double cross check charge. What a wuss for breaking his sternum.

Hockey should definitely plant its flag on non-hockey plays targetting star players in the dying minutes of a well-decided game. That will drive people to the sport. Get back to the good old days when Gretzky was forced to play with a goon on his line.

Pointless injury is the name of the game. I mean, look at football, these days kids are just flocking to that sport!
WTF are you talking about? Nobody said that Parise was a "wuss" for getting injured. Nobody "planted their flag" on this play. Parise isn't a "star player" and with over 4 minutes left, the "time of the game" whining is irrelevant.

Chiarot does nothing wrong on this play. Schiefele throws a cheap crosscheck, and it should've been handled by a guy like Foligno, but it isn't anything worth getting so worked up over.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
After the 2017-18 season, I would say there are more important things than individual skill... Like team play, good defense and spirit.

Parise has nailed every one of those in my books. (and I even used to criticize him)

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
After the 2017-18 season, I would say there are more important things than individual skill... Like team play, good defense and spirit.

Parise has nailed every one of those in my books. (and I even used to criticize him)
True, but that haven't got Wild near the cup. We need more firepower.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
WTF are you talking about? Nobody said that Parise was a "wuss" for getting injured. Nobody "planted their flag" on this play. Parise isn't a "star player" and with over 4 minutes left, the "time of the game" whining is irrelevant.

Chiarot does nothing wrong on this play. Schiefele throws a cheap crosscheck, and it should've been handled by a guy like Foligno, but it isn't anything worth getting so worked up over.
What was the purpose of either hit?

Parise already batted the puck before either player started their run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->