Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to Toronto for Greg McKegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
LOL, a Toronto paper pumping the tires on a Toronto acquisition, lol. I expected something from around the time we said he would not sign here. Dale Tallon again might be the best one for information on this actual questions but hey who knows.

Let the kid play a game and then get back with me on this situation.
Don't like that statement because it doesn't jive with yours about Dale and his professional scouting staff deciding he wasn't worth the risk? Well Elliotte Friedman said on 5/31/15 that: "there does appear to be some interest (maybe to wine-and-dine him in advance, who knows?) from the likes of Detroit, San Jose and Toronto, among others." I find it interesting that you consider the Panthers Scouting Staff as the definitive source as to whether Hyman is worth the risk based on their history since Luce has been here.

I doubt there are many NCAA players that would be considered a shoe in for the NHL other than guys like Eichel. If Nick Bjugstad took the junior route in lieu of college, you think he would have been offered a guaranteed slot in the Cats lineup at the tender age of 20? The "loophole" gave him the leverage to negotiate with Tallon to "burn" a year and start the next season as a top 6 Center with the Cats. Tallon cannot deal with the fact that a 5th round draft choice of his would have the gall to make such a request, where it's apparent other teams are willing to overlook this fact.

Who's right? Only time will tell, but the Cats have put them self in a position of not being the beneficiary if he suceeds.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Don't like that statement because it doesn't jive with yours about Dale and his professional scouting staff deciding he wasn't worth the risk? Well Elliotte Friedman said on 5/31/15 that: "there does appear to be some interest (maybe to wine-and-dine him in advance, who knows?) from the likes of Detroit, San Jose and Toronto, among others." I find it interesting that you consider the Panthers Scouting Staff as the definitive source as to whether Hyman is worth the risk based on their history since Luce has been here.

I doubt there are many NCAA players that would be considered a shoe in for the NHL other than guys like Eichel. If Nick Bjugstad took the junior route in lieu of college, you think he would have been offered a guaranteed slot in the Cats lineup at the tender age of 20? The "loophole" gave him the leverage to negotiate with Tallon to "burn" a year and start the next season as a top 6 Center with the Cats. Tallon cannot deal with the fact that a 5th round draft choice of his would have the gall to make such a request, where it's apparent other teams are willing to overlook this fact.

Who's right? Only time will tell, but the Cats have put them self in a position of not being the beneficiary if he suceeds.

So Elliot Friedman quotes three teams and that confirms your theory, lol.

Regardless of what you think or who you pretend to know. Dale made the right decision, the fact we got anything out of the kid is gravy.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Tallon cannot deal with the fact that a 5th round draft choice of his would have the gall to make such a request, where it's apparent other teams are willing to overlook this fact..

Again, you are putting your personal spin on it, you do not know how it went down. but this was a kid that was 0.36 PPG player in the NCAA for three years, graduation happens and they went younger with a fortunate Zach Hyman playing with Dylan Larkin.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160580

Dylan Larkin
Center -- shoots L
Born Jul 30 1996 -- Waterford, MI
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 6.01 -- Weight 192 [185 cm/87 kg]
Drafted by Detroit Red Wings
- round 1 #15 overall 2014 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2012-13 U.S. National Development Team USHL 37 7 7 14 40 -21 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 U.S. National Under-18 Team USHL 26 17 9 26 24 13 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 U. of Michigan Big-10 35 15 32 47 38 18
Embed Dylan Larkin stats! | View as text

And all of a sudden he considers himself a can't miss prospect? LOL. His season was impressive but there have been many collegiate players that never were as well. It is far to early to make any sort of judgement on his play until he actually plays professionally, I feel we have the comparable prospect on a closer curve to the NHL in McKegg, he may also turn into nothing but the chances are the same with age and last league of play moving into the discussion, lets see once a 25 year old Hyman has 2 years in pro hockey as opposed to McKegg with 4 years under his belt.

I thought Dale was wrong to allow Bjugstad to burn a year when turning pro, but he was a much more accomplished collegiate scorer. And IMO his latest contract extension kinda makes up for rushing a year as he is on a team friendly deal for the next 6 for sure. Trying to compare the two cases is crazy.

If he wanted out who knows, maybe with the contract he is getting and promises from Toronto he will be successful. This conversation has nothing to do with the player, but he is still a project and a redundancy in the system that Tallon obviously thought was not a great of a reward as you do.

He gets paid to make the tough decisions, and on this one I support him, actually I think almost everyone but you does.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So Elliot Friedman quotes three teams and that confirms your theory, lol.

Regardless of what you think or who you pretend to know. Dale made the right decision, the fact we got anything out of the kid is gravy.
I never said I pretend to know anyone. Actually he confirms three teams of which two have an excellent record of scouting. But he did also mention other teams, which lends credence to the possibility of the interest of more teams. Could it be twenty? Since no source was quoted by the author, it's all speculation whether you believe it.........and I luv speculation.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I never said I pretend to know anyone. Actually he confirms three teams of which two have an excellent record of scouting. But he did also mention other teams, which lends credence to the possibility of the interest of more teams. Could it be twenty? Since no source was quoted by the author, it's all speculation whether you believe it.........and I luv speculation.

Don't we all!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Again, you are putting your personal spin on it, you do not know how it went down.
I luv putting my personal spin on it, it's called an opinion. I like to connect the dots from GR saying Tallon felt there were too many prospects in SA that deserved that chance more, to Toronto or other teams that are willing to talk to him about his request to start in the NHL. He wasn't able to burn a year, so he held that against Tallon and now he has what 2 years on an ELC before he can negotiate RFA $$$.

And all of a sudden he considers himself a can't miss prospect? LOL. His season was impressive but there have been many collegiate players that never were as well. It is far to early to make any sort of judgement on his play until he actually plays professionally, I feel we have the comparable prospect on a closer curve to the NHL in McKegg, he may also turn into nothing but the chances are the same with age and last league of play moving into the discussion, lets see once a 25 year old Hyman has 2 years in pro hockey as opposed to McKegg with 4 years under his belt.
McKegg is no slouch and could very well turn into a fine addition. The question is teams like Detroit or San Jose and other teams were not showing interest for the services of McKegg, they were reported to show interest in Hyman even with his demand for an NHL slot.

If he wanted out who knows, maybe with the contract he is getting and promises from Toronto he will be successful. This conversation has nothing to do with the player, but he is still a project and a redundancy in the system that Tallon obviously thought was not a great of a reward as you do.

Redundancy? Who do we have in the system that could be NHL ready that is a RW, 6'1"/205 lbs that has speed, an NHL shot, and plays a two way game.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Don't we all!

I can't believe the discussion over hyman... He is a marginal orisoect who didn't wanna sign here for whatever reason, money, playing time, location, it doesn't matter what the reason is gallon got a decent ahl piece for him which is fine at this point...maybe he wanted to play in Toronto where he's from? Point is no one knows all we know is he wanted out and that is his right... Talking did what he could... I don't fault anyone for this everyone played by the rules and he's gone and it's not a big loss at all

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Redundancy? Who do we have in the system that could be NHL ready that is a RW, 6'1"/205 lbs that has speed, an NHL shot, and plays a two way game.

NHL ready, thats a leap of faith. McKegg has more NHL experience than him and has accomplished more at the junior and AHL levels.

I don't get the man crush on a guy that was not willing to work his way up the system.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
NHL ready, thats a leap of faith. McKegg has more NHL experience than him and has accomplished more at the junior and AHL levels.

I don't get the man crush on a guy that was not willing to work his way up the system.
It's not a man crush, it's about dealing with the "loophole," that is going to be with the NHL until the next CBA. More and more of the better players are seeing the advantage of the threat to get what they want.........and that is an NHL slot sooner rather than later. Like I said, I believe McCoshen will use the threat to get a slot next year or the year after. It works, so why not. Tallon is frustrated because he invested heavily in the NCAA guys and I believe Rocco, Rau, Matheson, and Bjugstad have all used it in their negotiations. Based on last season, I really don't think Rocco is NHL ready from what I've seen, but Tallon has all but confirmed that he expects him to make the roster this year. A caveat will be that Rocco could have a fantastic off season and report to camp a much better player. That would be great for the team.

My thoughts on Hyman have more to do with the probability of bringing Howden to the NHL after camp. This is a player drafted #26 who has played approx 140 of 240 AHL games mostly due to injury. He has suited up 34 games in the NHL with very little to show for it. Tallon feels he owes this guy a shot at making it to his NHL dream this season. Howden is a bottom six player at best and always will be if he can remain healthy. IMO, Hyman has top six potential but can also play very effectively in the bottom six until given an opportunity. It became a choice between offering Howden a contract this year or giving in to Hyman's demands. It rankled Tallon that Hyman would have the audacity to think he could command a similar deal as Bjugstad. If Tallon is going to continue this thinking, he will likely start drafting more Europeans. Why waste the pick when the player can get a free education and then turn UFA and start a bidding war, or use the threat as a junior to gain an NHL slot immediately or at worst the next year.

One thing I will say for Tallon is that he is a man of his word. He told Hawryluk he would draft him with the teams second pick if he was available and he did. These are all oral promises made to players and not contracts. I believe he had also made promises to Rocco, Rau, Matheson, and Bjugstad that if they signed he would give them a slot after playing in the AHL for year or in Bjugstad's case right away. He will have that same conversation with McCoshen next year. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, and also whether Connor is drafted this year by Tallon.

Last edited:

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
He has one good year out 4 and everyone has some odd love for him. We don't need the attitude he appears to have on this team. Obviously I would've been interested in seeing how he could perform in the AHL, but it doesn't seem like that's what Hyman wanted.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
He has one good year out 4 and everyone has some odd love for him. We don't need the attitude he appears to have on this team. Obviously I would've been interested in seeing how he could perform in the AHL, but it doesn't seem like that's what Hyman wanted.
Your reaction is similar to all the fans that have been jilted by NCAA guys who elected to snub the team that drafted them and go elsewhere. Wheeler, Schultz, Hayes, Knight, Reilly, and now Hyman. I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of off hand. They all did it for either the opportunity to play right away in the NHL or for what they assumed was a bigger 2 way contract. Knight found out the hard way that it was a suckers bet and he still ended up in the AHL with AHL $$$. But he also found out what goes around comes around and he is back at square one.

They say Hyman will sign shortly with Toronto, which more than likely means he has been given a slot on the team. If he doesn't sign shortly then he may decide to wait until 8/15 and sign with another team that will give him the slot. I think part of Hyman's anger was directed at the fact that Tallon wouldn't at least let him burn a year on his ELC which would have left him with only one year left till RFA. Is it possible that Hyman will sign a contract with the Leafs if no one else hints at an NHL slot? Sure, it's his hometown and always been a dream of his to play for the Leafs even if it means he has to work his way up through the system. At that point it will be a confirmation that Chaos2K7 was right about his potential as an NHL player at this point in his career. I hope that doesn't happen cuz I will never hear the end of it.:)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Your reaction is similar to all the fans that have been jilted by NCAA guys who elected to snub the team that drafted them and go elsewhere. Wheeler, Schultz, Hayes, Knight, Reilly, and now Hyman. I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of off hand. They all did it for either the opportunity to play right away in the NHL or for what they assumed was a bigger 2 way contract. Knight found out the hard way that it was a suckers bet and he still ended up in the AHL with AHL $$$. But he also found out what goes around comes around and he is back at square one.

They say Hyman will sign shortly with Toronto, which more than likely means he has been given a slot on the team. If he doesn't sign shortly then he may decide to wait until 8/15 and sign with another team that will give him the slot. I think part of Hyman's anger was directed at the fact that Tallon wouldn't at least let him burn a year on his ELC which would have left him with only one year left till RFA. Is it possible that Hyman will sign a contract with the Leafs if no one else hints at an NHL slot? Sure, it's his hometown and always been a dream of his to play for the Leafs even if it means he has to work his way up through the system. At that point it will be a confirmation that Chaos2K7 was right about his potential as an NHL player at this point in his career. I hope that doesn't happen cuz I will never hear the end of it.:)

LOL, I do not fault Hyman or Tallon for the negotiating positions they took, both parties need to lookout for #1, and, it is a shame to lose him but I agree with the decision made, hopefully we don't regret it down the line.

RatKingBolland*

Any logic in this trade? Tallon should just have asked for a bag of used pucks rather then add another name on the "will never make NHL list".

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Both prospects are the same age, and same quality IMO opinion with Hyman with a better pedigree, but with that said we did get a proven AHL quality player with some NHL games under his belt.

To me it is a lateral move, and the best Dale could do under the circumstances. If Zach Hyman scores 20 goals next year in the AHL, he will match the player we received for him. Ho hum in the scheme of things.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

It really isn't and I think we've all been fairly calm about this situation.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

Knight and Hyman are no where near the category of the other guys mentioned, IF Hyman can match Knight as a top six AHLer this season, there may be more there, but he has been out of juniors for 4 years, and had one successful season riding shotgun with Dylan Larkin.

Any Detroit fans that follow UofM that can give us a review of his years in Michigan?

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
That was a stoopid all inclusive statement I made. Certainly not "all fans" reacted that way but some did. Batting 1K was just pointing out the historical weakness of Hyman's stats that really didn't lend itself to a purported arrogant move that he demanded Tallon burn a year and give him an NHL slot. My thoughts were to try and point out that many fans throughout the league felt their teams were disrespected by these guys, and yes many hoped they fell flat on their faces with their new teams. The disparity in talent between the group was not the point. Knight certainly isn't in the same league as many but yet I remember reading many comments about the nerve he had disengaging himself from the Cats who had drafted him.

Knight and Hyman are no where near the category of the other guys mentioned, IF Hyman can match Knight as a top six AHLer this season, there may be more there, but he has been out of juniors for 4 years, and had one successful season riding shotgun with Dylan Larkin.

Any Detroit fans that follow UofM that can give us a review of his years in Michigan?
I watched quite a few Rampage games last year, and although Knight started out fine he ended up being scratched quite a few times. When he returned to the lineup it was mostly as a third line center, and sometimes as a fourth.

As far as Hyman is concerned there will always be those who feel he is the beneficiary of Dylan Larkin. Well of course that helped him immensely as the guy had been playing for three years with bottom six players. I think he will do just fine if given the opportunity as a top six player in either league. I hope. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Friedman had it before that. :nod:

Yeah, and seeing this thread, now I remember seeing it before, but I forgot all about it :laugh:

Well, McKegg sucks and a 7th rounder is nothing.

Screwed again by the NCAA prospects.

Kinda serves the NHL right for draining so much talent out of the NCAA the past decade. Too many top end players signed in their sophomore and junior years and not allowed to finish a 4-year career.

As a UVM graduate (for whom the only good thing about the school is their hockey team) I follow the Catamounts somewhat, and they've lost quite a few top scorers prematurely since 2002, which really hurts a team that is, at times, offensively challenged. Patrick Sharp, Viktor Stalberg and his younger brother, just to name a couple, signed before their senior years. They even had one highly touted player who's name I've forgotten because he never ended up playing for the team...Buffalo drafted him in the first round the summer before his freshman year was to begin and signed him before he ever came to the school. You can damned well bet that upset Sneddon's plans for the team that year.

So when the NCAA players start turning more mercenary, it's just desserts for the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Now that Hyman has signed, the pick won't transfer over.
Gotta believe he is going to get a shot with the big club. Interesting that Dubas was formerly employed by the agency that now represents Hyman. Can't tell me there wasn't some kind of communication there.;)

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida

Why does this sound the same with Mascherin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad