Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to Toronto for Greg McKegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I would have taken a 7th rounder in 2019. Glad to see we got something for Portland to replace Grimaldi, since he's likely joining the big club.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I respect your opinion but where do you get off saying these guys had proven much more by the time they signed. Matheson is a puck carrying defenseman who offensive scoring wise has degraded each year since he was at BC. Grimaldi had a good year at SA, and a solid career in the NCAA but he never put up the numbers that Hyman did his senior year. Rau was basically the same 40 pt player all three years with the Gophers.............much more???? You don't know if these guys or Hyman are much better prospects because you are looking at the fact he was drafted in the 5th round, and Berenson felt he was weak defensively and played him on the 3rd and 4th lines to better shape his two way game. Time, opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it will ultimately determine who the better players are.

As far as demanding playing time after graduating, tell me this. Does Gallant have to play him the remaining games or could he park him in the press box most of the time? It's all about burning a year in his ELC, not having him replace guys who are better suited for the playoff push. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been a much better option than Kopecky down the stretch. He should have been given the chance.

Hyman produced next to nothing until his senior year...

What does that tell you? That's not to say that he won't be a good player in the future, but thus far, Grimaldi and Rau have proven more.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I respect your opinion but where do you get off saying these guys had proven much more by the time they signed. Matheson is a puck carrying defenseman who offensive scoring wise has degraded each year since he was at BC. Grimaldi had a good year at SA, and a solid career in the NCAA but he never put up the numbers that Hyman did his senior year. Rau was basically the same 40 pt player all three years with the Gophers.............much more???? You don't know if these guys or Hyman are much better prospects because you are looking at the fact he was drafted in the 5th round, and Berenson felt he was weak defensively and played him on the 3rd and 4th lines to better shape his two way game. Time, opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it will ultimately determine who the better players are.

As far as demanding playing time after graduating, tell me this. Does Gallant have to play him the remaining games or could he park him in the press box most of the time? It's all about burning a year in his ELC, not having him replace guys who are better suited for the playoff push. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been a much better option than Kopecky down the stretch. He should have been given the chance.

Your own reasoning works against you. Pot meet kettle.

Both Hyman and McKegg are 23 with McKegg having two professional years under his belt. Lets see Hyman outproduce McKegg before we start bandying around names of higher regarded prospects.

I for one am glad that we are no longer in the position of having to bend to the requests of these players just to get them to sign. Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the otherside. Good luck to Hyman but I doubt in the scheme of things that this move will even be remembered in 3 years.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Hyman produced next to nothing until his senior year...

What does that tell you? That's not to say that he won't be a good player in the future, but thus far, Grimaldi and Rau have proven more.
How do you define proven? Were either of those guys or for that matter Bjugstad or Matheson ever a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award? I'll save you the trouble........no........Zach Hyman was. So I think pigeonholing a guy who was forced by his coach to play 3rd and 4th line minutes to improve his defensive game the first three years of his NCAA career is unfair. He was never given the opportunity or possibly he didn't seize the opportunity, but it in no way should reflect on his present value to an NHL team.

Your own reasoning works against you. Pot meet kettle.

Both Hyman and McKegg are 23 with McKegg having two professional years under his belt. Lets see Hyman outproduce McKegg before we start bandying around names of higher regarded prospects.

I for one am glad that we are no longer in the position of having to bend to the requests of these players just to get them to sign. Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the otherside. Good luck to Hyman but I doubt in the scheme of things that this move will even be remembered in 3 years.
You still don't get it. It's not about comparing an existing pro to an NCAA player. It's all about "seeing what's behind door number 3." Tallon and the Cats will never get that opportunity because he decided players have a pecking order based on where they were drafted. Tallon can't deal with the fact that the loophole gives a talented NCAA player tremendous negotiating power. It stinks, but those are the rules and you either anti up or fold your cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erased

Jun 18, 2014

Each one of those players put up points consistently every year and now because Hyman has one year with more points he is just as proven? No. You are completely disregarding the fact that he played the prior 3 years and could not even match the point total that Matheson, Bjugstad, and Rau put up as freshman(Grimaldi only played 4 games as a freshman). You can't argue that they were getting more playing time in their first year than he was as a junior.

Guess what? Gaudreau and Stone put up 64 points this year. Are you going to tell me that they are somehow more proven than guys like Jeff Carter, JVR, Subban, or Landeskog? Of course you wouldn't because that would be ridiculous, so why would you do it for Hyman?

And your whole idea to sign him and then dump him in the press box is a great way to make sure any other players facing similar situations would never even bother to consider it since they will just assume the same will happen to them.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Right, and Dale and his professional scouting staff decided he was not work the risk, suddenly you know better?

You still don't get it. It's not about comparing an existing pro to an NCAA player. It's all about "seeing what's behind door number 3." Tallon and the Cats will never get that opportunity because he decided players have a pecking order based on where they were drafted. Tallon can't deal with the fact that the loophole gives a talented NCAA player tremendous negotiating power. It stinks, but those are the rules and you either anti up or fold your cards.

To imply that you have a better understanding about what goes in to the organization pecking order, outside factors, production, personal contract situation etc. is laughable.

The loophole exists, so Zach played his cards through his agent. The organization decided not to give in to his demands. Now you are saying before the kid even plays a 1 professional game that you know its a mistake? Spare me.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't blame the kid for keeping his options open, but you cannot blame the decision that was made by the Panthers org.

Blackmail another team, its cool.

Last edited:

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
I don't blame the kid for keeping his options open, but you cannot blame the decision that was made by the Panthers org.

Blackmail another team, its cool.

I can easily defend the position taken by the org. Do you really want someone who has tried to blackmail his way onto the team to be playing here? I sure as hell don't.

Edit: apparently you edited your comment to mean the exact opposite of what it originally meant so I guess you can disregard this comment.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I can easily defend the position taken by the org. Do you really want someone who has tried to blackmail his way onto the team to be playing here? I sure as hell don't.

Edit: apparently you edited your comment to mean the exact opposite of what it originally meant so I guess you can disregard this comment.

LOL, yeah sorry, proof reading is important!

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
To imply that you have a better understanding about what goes in to the organization pecking order, outside factors, production, personal contract situation etc. is laughable.

The loophole exists, so Zach played his cards through his agent. The organization decided not to give in to his demands. Now you are saying before the kid even plays a 1 professional game that you know its a mistake? Spare me.
I guess this means we'll never be doing lunch. Oh well.:sarcasm: But not a bad argument from a man who is a wealth of useless information.

Right, and Dale and his professional scouting staff decided he was not work the risk, suddenly you know better?
It's' amazing that at least 20 other teams had contacted his agent. Now do you really believe that all those teams have useless professional scouting staffs?:laugh:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I guess this means we'll never be doing lunch. Oh well.:sarcasm: But not a bad argument from a man who is a wealth of useless information.

LOL, we can still be friends, just hold back on the knee jerk reactions.

In my mind we received a comparable asset for someone who wanted to force themselves onto the team without earning it. I do not agree with your opinion that that is the type of move any organization should make.

It's' amazing that at least 20 other teams had contacted his agent. Now do you really believe that all those teams have useless professional scouting staffs?:laugh:

Where was this reported?

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Now sir, you know better than to question me when I post something. If you don't, I guess you will have to be schooled.:laugh:

Check out the 7th sentence from the bottom.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...e-greg-mckegg-to-panthers-for-zach-hyman.html

LOL, a Toronto paper pumping the tires on a Toronto acquisition, lol. I expected something from around the time we said he would not sign here. Dale Tallon again might be the best one for information on this actual questions but hey who knows.

Let the kid play a game and then get back with me on this situation.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/4/3/8340773/zach-hyman-florida-panthers-free-agent

Michigan's Zach Hyman Could Become a Free Agent

Michigan senior forward Zach Hyman had a breakout season in his final year with the Wolverines. His 22 goals and 32 assists for 54 points eclipsed the combined total in each of those three categories for his first three seasons at Michigan. Hyman was tied for fourth nationally in scoring and was named one of ten finalists for this year's Hobey Baker Award.

That incredible year has Hyman rethinking his professional future. Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reports that Hyman is considering not signing with the Florida Panthers, who drafted Hyman in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, and waiting until the August 15th deadline, when he would become an unrestricted free agent. Friedman says there is doubt that a deal gets done before the August deadline.

We ranked Hyman as the 48th-best NHL prospect in the NCAA this season.

https://ratsnpucks.wordpress.com/20...da-panthers-will-become-free-agent-in-august/

Zach Hyman had a breakout year during the 2014-15 season at the University of Michigan. Before this past season, the right-wing had only 35 points in 114 games for Michigan. He was then put on a line with Dylan Larkin, a 2014 first-round pick by the Detroit Red Wings, and developed instant chemistry with each other. As a result, Hyman put up 54 points (22 goals | 32 assists) in 37 games, setting multiple career highs (goals | assists | points | +/-) in the process.

Based on the report, Panthers fans might be asking, “Why are we not able to sign Hyman to an ELC?” Well, that could be due to a few reasons. For one, Hyman’s production skyrocketed as soon as he was placed on a line with Larkin. The fact that he only scored 35 points in his first 116 games is not impressive. The team could have seen his production as a one trick pony and was afraid to offer him the max-contract that many players entering the NHL desire.

Another reason could be similar to another Florida prospect’s demands: a guaranteed spot on the Panthers 2015-16 roster rather than a two-way contract. Corban Knight asked for those very same demands and ended up on the way to Calgary due to the Panthers wanting to develop him in the minors to start the season. Nick Bjugstad asked for the same demands, but he was one of Florida’s top prospects and had a stellar career for the Minnesota Golden Gophers to back him up.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-p...o-go-to-florida-but-where-will-he-go-instead/

Hyman’s game has come a long way since getting drafted in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. His offense has improved, as has both his physical game and his defense — after spending his underclassmen years playing a bottom six role on Michigan’s roster, the former OJHL star slowly worked his way up the depth chart until his senior year began. By that point, he was able to keep pace with the freshman Larkin — although it’s unclear whether he’ll be a fully successful skater at the NHL level.

After getting drafted by the Florida Panthers, though, Hyman has made it clear he won’t sign with the club. Rather, the 22-year old Toronto native is willing to hit free agency — leaving speculations as to whether the Panthers will trade his negotiating rights to another club or not.

It somewhat hurts Florida that Hyman won’t stay with the team, since he’s developing into the kind of player that every team hopes to have on their bottom six. He’s made a name for himself as his NCAA career evolved for being able to convert defensive zone starts up the ice, and that could have helped Florida. As a team that makes it a priority to bring on as many true shut-down blue liners as they do offensive back-end talents, though, the Panthers are actually at less of a loss than they could be; while Hyman is developing into a useful depth player, he’s expendable in Florida’s system.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Saw this earlier, good bye Hyman dont let the door hit you. In my eyes, theres only one situation here. Hyman knows he wont be able to prove himself playing as a 3C in Portland and has crazy bloated numbers in college. Kid just wants to get paid once rather than work through a system and play on a good upcoming team. Enjoy tank nation kiddo.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Saw this earlier, good bye Hyman dont let the door hit you. In my eyes, theres only one situation here. Hyman knows he wont be able to prove himself playing as a 3C in Portland and has crazy bloated numbers in college. Kid just wants to get paid once rather than work through a system and play on a good upcoming team. Enjoy tank nation kiddo.

I mean he will because he'll get a long look at the NHL level.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I mean he will because he'll get a long look at the NHL level.

Yup and as someone who lives in the GTA (greater toronto area) he'll be labeled as a bust, nobody, cancer and an outcast if he doesn't reproduce his NCAA numbers, he's opting for an elevator to Hell rather than climbing the stairs to a potential heaven, in the sun

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Yup and as someone who lives in the GTA (greater toronto area) he'll be labeled as a bust, nobody, cancer and an outcast if he doesn't reproduce his NCAA numbers, he's opting for an elevator to Hell rather than climbing the stairs to a potential heaven, in the sun

:laugh: this is hilariously true

I knew Garrison would wave his no-trade months before for exactly this reason. First you're the hero, then you're the problem, then you get run out of town.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Hyman first reactions when his rights traded to Toronto joy! Then realizing Babcock is there coach and how he loves to rush prospects to NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad