Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman to Toronto for Greg McKegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
One can argue it's poor asset management by Dale once again. Held on for a prospect for too long and got negative value in return.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
One can argue it's poor asset management by Dale once again. Held on for a prospect for too long and got negative value in return.

He's an NCAA prospect. Team does not control when he can turn pro. Per NCAA org cannot even offer him a contract if he wants to play in the NCAA. Out of the org's hands.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

Can't fault Tallon for that. Hell even Rau is far more deserving and he went to AHL to start, no way Hyman should've got that spot.

The kid wanted to play right away, and has been given everything by his daddy coming up, you cannot dictate to pro teams unless you are a real special asset.

McKegg scored 20 in the AHL for two years in a row, I would have considered that a good benchmark for Hyman in his first year.

They can have the head case. Earn your stripes and come through the system, kid.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
You can't sign a NCAA prospect until he decides to turn pro..

Hell before this season, I doubt he would have even received an offer.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Glad we got a solid AHL guy back. Best of luck to Zach but I'm glad DT doesn't take this sort of crap from prospects/agents.

Why on earth would we tell a prospect he has a spot on the big team before the draft? Let alone training camp. Perfect attitude for Tawana, go complain to Shanny.

When the trade notification came up on my phone and I saw Hyman to Toronto my heart stopped and I was sure it was our pick + Hyman + Tro for Philly Cheesesteak.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I would assume that his asking price for Florida was a max ELC as well.

Yeah.. no. Good luck trying to get a roster spot from Mr. Babcock with extortion Zach.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Former 1st round pick and highly regarded blueliner Matheson had no problem gong to the AHL for the stretch drive but Hyman, needed to play NHL minutes in a playoff drive or he would not sign?

Sure kid, Dale made the only decision that was available.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
Are you Ralph Lucarella on Twitter?

I was just about to ask that.

As far a Hyman, if he has the balls to demand a spot in the NHL (leapfroging guys who are busy paying their dues in the minors) after only one good season, then I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I was just about to ask that.

As far a Hyman, if he has the balls to demand a spot in the NHL (leapfroging guys who are busy paying their dues in the minors) after only one good season, then I don't want him anywhere near this team.
These guys are UFA's for all intents and purposes and will continue to be until they change it in the next CBA. Like I said, ethically it stinks but Tallon needs to face reality. Like Rocky says: "If you wanna dance you gotta pay the band, if you wanna sign a solid prospect you gotta pay the man."

Tallon had no problem pulling a rabbit out of his hat for Nick because he was a high draft choice that didn't put up the numbers that Hyman did this year. If it's true he would have signed with a burned year + a roster spot this season............then he should have given it to him. At the very least I know he could have played 4th line wing as Berenson drilled defense into his head the first 3 years at Michigan. It would have been worth the look see even if it was at the expense of Quinton Howden, who has shown nothing but fragility since he signed an ELC. Hell, it would have given the Panthers the option to trade him for much more than they got.

Loyalty is great but Dale needs to understand that NCAA draftees hold all the cards, particularly when they can back it up with performance their senior year. No one complains when an 18 year old doubles his point total from when he was 17 and is now considered a top 10 prospect. It's the new order of things and although some may disagree I still think Tallon had to promise Matheson, Rocco, and Rau a roster spot after one year in the AHL and McCoshen may very well ask to bypass the AHL altogether. Time will tell if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Erased

Jun 18, 2014
These guys are UFA's for all intents and purposes and will continue to be until they change it in the next CBA. Like I said, ethically it stinks but Tallon needs to face reality. Like Rocky says: "If you wanna dance you gotta pay the band, if you wanna sign a solid prospect you gotta pay the man."

Tallon had no problem pulling a rabbit out of his hat for Nick because he was a high draft choice that didn't put up the numbers that Hyman did this year. If it's true he would have signed with a burned year + a roster spot this season............then he should have given it to him. At the very least I know he could have played 4th line wing as Berenson drilled defense into his head the first 3 years at Michigan. It would have been worth the look see even if it was at the expense of Quinton Howden, who has shown nothing but fragility since he signed an ELC. Hell, it would have given the Panthers the option to trade him for much more than they got.

Loyalty is great but Dale needs to understand that NCAA draftees hold all the cards, particularly when they can back it up with performance their senior year. No one complains when an 18 year old doubles his point total from when he was 17 and is now considered a top 10 prospect. It's the new order of things and although some may disagree I still think Tallon had to promise Matheson, Rocco, and Rau a roster spot after one year in the AHL and McCoshen may very well ask to bypass the AHL altogether. Time will tell if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Matheson, Grimaldi, and even Rau had proven much more by the time they signed then Hyman has, and they didn't come in demanding an immediate roster spot. And Hyman couldn't even hold Bjugstad's jock strap so don't even try to compare them, especially since Bjugstad signed when we were the last place team in the league and half of the players were injured, while Hyman is demanding to get NHL time (over much better prospects) while we were still in the hunt. The situations are entirely different.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Matheson, Grimaldi, and even Rau had proven much more by the time they signed then Hyman has, and they didn't come in demanding an immediate roster spot. And Hyman couldn't even hold Bjugstad's jock strap so don't even try to compare them, especially since Bjugstad signed when we were the last place team in the league and half of the players were injured, while Hyman is demanding to get NHL time (over much better prospects) while we were still in the hunt. The situations are entirely different.
I respect your opinion but where do you get off saying these guys had proven much more by the time they signed. Matheson is a puck carrying defenseman who offensive scoring wise has degraded each year since he was at BC. Grimaldi had a good year at SA, and a solid career in the NCAA but he never put up the numbers that Hyman did his senior year. Rau was basically the same 40 pt player all three years with the Gophers.............much more???? You don't know if these guys or Hyman are much better prospects because you are looking at the fact he was drafted in the 5th round, and Berenson felt he was weak defensively and played him on the 3rd and 4th lines to better shape his two way game. Time, opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it will ultimately determine who the better players are.

As far as demanding playing time after graduating, tell me this. Does Gallant have to play him the remaining games or could he park him in the press box most of the time? It's all about burning a year in his ELC, not having him replace guys who are better suited for the playoff push. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have been a much better option than Kopecky down the stretch. He should have been given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad