Rumor: Zach Hyman is signing in Edmonton - Done deal per James Mirtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
GMs have some reciprocity; we get something for helping out Edmonton instead of getting nothing; and tomorrow Edmonton might help us out a little.

There are times to stand your ground and there are times to be tactful. This is the time to be tactful. Losing an asset for nothing when we have only 6 picks in the next two drafts is not a good strategy.

When a team is taking your UFA with an outsized offer, I'd say it's the time to stand your ground.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
GMs have some reciprocity; we get something for helping out Edmonton instead of getting nothing; and tomorrow Edmonton might help us out a little.

There are times to stand your ground and there are times to be tactful. This is the time to be tactful. Losing an asset for nothing when we have only 6 picks in the next two drafts is not a good strategy.
No this is a time to stand your ground. A 6th in a week draft where it was also tough to get an accurate scouting picture on the available prospects isn’t worth every GM in the league thinking you will cave if they wait you out.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
When a team is taking your UFA with an outsized offer, I'd say it's the time to stand your ground.

That UFA is not going to sign with the Leafs; you lose him no matter what. Why not get something for him? It's like you are scrapping your car; and someone says I will give you a 100 bucks but you say No thanks I am gonna throw it and don't want the money.

It doesn't make sense!

Reactions: Beneven Stanciano

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

Ken Holland is a shark. He's not helping us out with anything.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
That UFA is not going to sign with the Leafs; you lose him no matter what. Why not get something for him? It's like you are scrapping your car; and someone says I will give you a 100 bucks but you say No thanks I am gonna throw it and don't want the money.

It doesn't make sense!
If he caves it will cost us on every trade he makes for the rest of his career. And every FA negotiation.
That will cost us much much more than a 6th in the long run.

Reactions: axlrose87

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm still confused where this 7th round pick fan group is when Dubas trades down. Why aren't we hearing about these potential Points and Zetterbergs we could be getting with those picks then? We've gotten a lot more of those free picks than we're "losing" here.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

It doesn't make sense!

It's more like you're scrapping a piece of industrial machinery for zero cost. Your direct competitor is going to buy that same piece from the scrap dealer, but because of a regulatory loophole if they get it direct from you they save 37k a year for the next 7 years. They offer you 500 bucks.

You know what it's worth to them. They're your competitor.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
big four signing up is a "huge impact" on our team. helping opposition for 4-500K while getting an asset instead of nothing while losing a roster player is logical. Edmonton doesn't play in the Atlantic Division OR the Eastern conference (metro division); they are hardly a "direct" competitor

dubas can apparently do no wrong in the eyes of dubas fans can he?

It's 375k. We should have only been negotiating for 2022 picks from the start anyways

You get a 5th that's 50% retention at the deadline from a third party team.

That's not nothing imo. I don't get why you don't take that or a 6th we burn them all anyways why not have more to burn

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If he caves it will cost us on every trade he makes for the rest of his career. And every FA negotiation.
That will cost us much much more than a 6th in the long run.

Nope!

you think caving to get a 6th instead of a 4th/3rd is going to impact future? If he takes what he gets now doesn't mean he has to keep doing that forever.

You gotta play the game given the situation. Plus I dont think dubas will be the GM after next season anyway; so I'd rather have the pick instead of nothing

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's more like you're scrapping a piece of industrial machinery for zero cost. Your direct competitor is going to buy that same piece from the scrap dealer, but because of a regulatory loophole if they get it direct from you they save 37k a year for the next 7 years. They offer you 500 bucks.

You know what it's worth to them. They're your competitor.

Edmonton is in the western conference. Atlantic division is the direct competitor and Metro division for wildcard spot. How in the blue hell is Edmonton a direct competitor? Are you expecting Oilers Vs Leafs cup finals?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Edmonton is in the western conference. Atlantic division is the direct competitor and Metro division for wildcard spot. How in the blue hell is Edmonton a direct competitor? Are you expecting Oilers Vs Leafs cup finals?

They're all in the same league. Your analogy sucked and misread the situation. We could have given them the machine sight unseen for 500 bucks and they could have taken the risk that it would work for them. But we did them a favour let them into the factory to given them a chance to confirm the benefit. Now it's confirmed and they're being cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: axlrose87 and Azail

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They're all in the same league. Your analogy sucked and misread the situation. We could have given them the machine sight unseen for 500 bucks and they could have taken the risk that it would work for them. But we let them into the factory to given them a chance to confirm the benefit. Now it's confirmed and they're being cheap.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. You are thinking in terms of absolutes when you should be thinking in terms of relative.

If we help out oil here what is the relative impact on the Leafs? If we don't help out oilers what is the relative impact on the Leafs?

OIlers going to sign hyman with that additional 500K cap hit or not; Leafs have to get something for it instead of nothing.

Dubas fans really trigger me to no end. You guys justify his every move no matter how much it screws the Leafs. Are you Leafs fans or not?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
1 goal from $34mm in the playoffs.

Really, how can you blame the team for selecting Matthews and marner? Nothing to do with Dubas, but still who would have thought they'd be such a flop in this year's playoffs.

They made the correct choice didn't they?

View attachment 455776

It’s part of what I’m saying…you take Matthews and Marner EVERY time as they are both absolute talents in every respect…but it makes you question their headspace as it comes to being professionals and their level of care (and being professional means more than working hard in the off season…) it’s truly a difficult problem and some form of the many differing answers is probably the truest answer but I don’t think there is a 100% answer in terms of 1 specific deficiency

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Nope!

you think caving to get a 6th instead of a 4th/3rd is going to impact future? If he takes what he gets now doesn't mean he has to keep doing that forever.

You gotta play the game given the situation. Plus I dont think dubas will be the GM after next season anyway; so I'd rather have the pick instead of nothing
If he gets a reputation amongst his peers as someone who will cave in negotiations he will be treated like someone who will cave during negotiations. That’s how it works.

Amd while you might not think he will be here after this coming season I highly doubt he thinks that. Nor do I want him going out and acting like that.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
This is the most ridiculous thing I've read. You are thinking in terms of absolutes when you should be thinking in terms of relative.

If we help out oil here what is the relative impact on the Leafs? If we don't help out oilers what is the relative impact on the Leafs?

OIlers going to sign hyman with that additional 500K cap hit or not; Leafs have to get something for it instead of nothing.

Dubas fans really trigger me to no end. You guys justify his every move no matter how much it screws the Leafs. Are you Leafs fans or not?

If we wanted a 6th we would have demanded it to talk to him. By letting them talk for free we upped the anti in attempt to create more value. That value has been created, so we want our share of that. If Edmonton wants to realize the value we helped them create- they'll pay our price for it.

Being triggered by things you don't understand is a bad look, better to try and learn from them.

Reactions: Azail

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not everything is about head to head matchups.

The Oilers are potential competition when it comes to future trade markets, free agency periods ect. Unless they're willing to pay a price, no need to give them a means of gaining extra capspace this giving them an advantage in future.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
But why wouldn’t you want to gain a marginal asset vs sweet f all as an organization? Didn’t they bend over backwards to manufacture a nothing pick on the Robin Lehner retention?

1 seasons worth of cap lowering vs 8 though in the case of Hyman.

Getting 7 more seasons of cap relief should come with a higher cost.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If he gets a reputation amongst his peers as someone who will cave in negotiations he will be treated like someone who will cave during negotiations. That’s how it works.

Amd while you might not think he will be here after this coming season I highly doubt he thinks that. Nor do I want him going out and acting like that.
There are no words

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

It doesn't make sense!
We have a lot of time to get something for him. The Leafs have been waiting for Edmonton to step up and make an acceptable offer instead of just f***ing around.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm still confused where this 7th round pick fan group is when Dubas trades down. Why aren't we hearing about these potential Points and Zetterbergs we could be getting with those picks then? We've gotten a lot more of those free picks than we're "losing" here.
We don't have a 7th this year. If we do get one, people will start talking about potential prospect with the 7th.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
There are no words
Yes he should definitely reinforce that impression of him for a prospect that has 1 chance in 20 in a normal year of playing a seasons worth of games for your team over his career.
I’m no Dubas fan. He makes a lot of moves I don’t agree with. I have no faith in the team he has currently built.
But this is still the right move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad