News Article: Zach Hyman is back on Wednesday

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Maple Leafs' Zach Hyman to make season debut vs. Islanders - Sportsnet.ca

The Toronto Maple Leafs‘ lineup is about to get a much-needed boost, as forward Zach Hyman is set to make his season debut Wednesday against the New York Islanders.
Hyman confirmed he will return to the lineup at Maple Leafs practice Tuesday.
Hyman has been recovering from surgery to repair a torn ACL. He underwent the procedure at the end of April, following the club’s loss to the Boston Bruins in the first round of the playoffs.
The 27-year-old registered career-highs in goals (21) and points (41) in 2018-19. His presence back in the lineup will bring some much-needed grit up front and help lessen the loss of Mitch Marner, who will miss at least four weeks with an ankle injury suffered over the weekend.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Nice to have the "hardest working forechecker in the league" back :rolleyes:

B3-CQ554_HYMAN_FR_20181213121752.jpg

Don't expect him to produce right away. Will take significant time. Regardless his presence will help, and might reinvigorate JT.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don't know what to wish for:

1. Hyman returns and the team finally starts competing physically and defensively. Then it's very perplexing why a role player was necessary to kickstart the team.
2. Hyman returns and nothing really changes other than the team has one guy to go into the corners and compete hard. But then he becomes the subject of the usual soy snark about Babcock's relationship with the role player.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Both Tavares & Marner and Matthews & Nylander never looked better as a unit than they did with Hyman on their left. Maybe with all this softness talk, Hyman will finally start to get his proper dues.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
His compete level, willingness to engage physically and defensive play will be a nice boost to our team, which is lacking in all those areas. Moore and Timashov are somewhat similar in terms of being speedy players with great motors, but Hyman is quite a bit bigger/stronger, which makes him more effective in board battles.

With that being said, recovering from ACL surgeries often takes awhile, I wouldn’t expect him to be 100% right away. He’s likely gonna have to rebuild his trust in that knee, players coming back from ACL tears often take anywhere from weeks to 1-2 years to really seem like their normal self again. Don’t be surprised if he isn’t playing his usual balls-to-the-wall brand of hockey immediately.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
lets hope he can get back to himself quickly. A knee injury like that could really hamper his ability to fly into the corners, and if he cant do that then what can he do?.

A fully functional hyman though is what we are crying out for

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Zach in my favourite Leaf player and I'm super duper excited to get him back. :wave:

Nobody works harder shift in and shift out.

I think we're doing to notice a real noticeable increase in intensity and compete level of the team as Zach's play is infectious.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I get it, but why is out there with the goalie out when we're trying to tie the game? Just 1 example of him being overused. Why is he out there taking critical faceoffs on the PK during the playoffs and on one knee to boot?
He's out there because he has a great skill set that is needed on every line and especially 6-5.
And it's not that much of a stretch to say he's one of our top 5-6 forwards.
Additionally, he's probably our best PK player. That's why he's on the...pk.

This is the trade deadline addition we've all been waiting for.

Reactions: Ignatius Reilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad