News Article: Zach Hyman is back on Wednesday

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Its hilarious people have convinced themselves Hyman is so important. :laugh:

Im sure the Leafs will win more with him there because of the easier schedule + November Freddy. Not sure how much Hyman himself will play into the Leafs success.

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
Nice to have the "hardest working forechecker in the league" back :rolleyes:

B3-CQ554_HYMAN_FR_20181213121752.jpg

Don't expect him to produce right away. Will take significant time. Regardless his presence will help, and might reinvigorate JT.

Is there any way I can get this in a gold-embossed wall-size format to hang behind me when I'm giving motivational speeches?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Good to have him back, the lineup could use his hustle. It sucks that we won't get to see Hyman-Tavares-Marner for at least another Month

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I get it, but why is out there with the goalie out when we're trying to tie the game? Just 1 example of him being overused. Why is he out there taking critical faceoffs on the PK during the playoffs and on one knee to boot?
because he is on a VERY short list on our roster with the balls

to stand in front of the net and take the beatings from the likes of chara and his ilk

to go into the corner and actually battle for the puck

Reactions: Trapper

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Zach in my favourite Leaf player and I'm super duper excited to get him back. :wave:

Nobody works harder shift in and shift out.

I think we're doing to notice a real noticeable increase in intensity and compete level of the team as Zach's play is infectious.
one can hope his efforts are contagious.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So close to having that full lineup for the first time, and yet... Can't ever fully wait and depend on such things though. Hyman should still gradually provide a boost to his ES line and to his PK unit.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
because he is on a VERY short list on our roster with the balls

to stand in front of the net and take the beatings from the likes of chara and his ilk

to go into the corner and actually battle for the puck
yup.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I have no idea why this board dislikes him so much. I am very happy hes back
It's not that people dislike him, I just think Babcock puts him in a lot of spots that he shouldn't be in.

For example, Taking faceoffs against Bergeron on a PK that is hovering around 50% in a playoff game while Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Gauthier, etc.. Sat on the bench..

I'm sure any of those guys can take a draw and get off on the PK, but Hyman got murdered in that matchup.

Historically he also wasn't particularily effective in the top 6 in terms of positively impacting play. That changed last year with Tavares and Marner though.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
because there's nothing sexy about rolling up your sleeves and getting dirty, that's why.
Hey I think he's a very sexy player. The heart he showed in our Boston series 2 years ago was amazing. He was feisty. Engaging all Bruins even Chara. Dropped gloves too. Didn't fear no one. That turned me on big time. That's the moment I became a Hyman believer. I make remarks about him but theres no denying how hard he works and he's the ultimate team guy.

Just don't like him on the top 2 lines, but I'm not in charge of those decisions so whatever.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's not that people dislike him, I just think Babcock puts him in a lot of spots that he shouldn't be in.

For example, Taking faceoffs against Bergeron on a PK that is hovering around 50% in a playoff game while Tavares, Matthews, Kadri, Nylander, Gauthier, etc.. Sat on the bench..

I'm sure any of those guys can take a draw and get off on the PK, but Hyman got murdered in that matchup.

Historically he also wasn't particularily effective in the top 6 in terms of positively impacting play. That changed last year with Tavares and Marner though.

Ugh.... Kadri was suspended, and do you really want those guys PKing? Perhaps you could suggest Tavares for the face off but the rest shouldn’t be thrown out on the PK against a unit as lethal as Boston’s

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Ugh.... Kadri was suspended, and do you really want those guys PKing? Perhaps you could suggest Tavares for the face off but the rest shouldn’t be thrown out on the PK against a unit as lethal as Boston’s
Even before the suspension he didn't use Kadri on the PK..

and if you're going to hard match Tavares against Bergeron 5 on 5, why wouldn't you at least for the faceoff on the PK?

Also that logic makes no sense. Yes I would take my chances with any natural center trying to win a draw and gain possession against a guy like Bergeron vs. any winger.

To say any of those other guys couldn't take a faceoff and play one shift on the PK is an insult to their talent level to be honest.

Hyman taking those draws was an auto-setup for the Boston PP.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009

and if you're going to hard match Tavares against Bergeron 5 on 5, why wouldn't you at least for the faceoff on the PK?

Also that logic makes no sense. Yes I would take my chances with any natural center trying to win a draw and gain possession against a guy like Bergeron vs. any winger.

To say any of those other guys couldn't take a faceoff and play one shift on the PK is an insult to their talent level to be honest.

Exactly. The PK didn't work with the players they put out. Don't double down on a failed experiment. Change up the PK.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

It’s your logic that does not make sense... how does it make any sense to put people like Nylander and Matthews on the PK they don’t ever play that role. In the event you lose the face-off, you’d be screwed with them on the ice.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I feel like the people who constantly bash on Hyman are the posters that never played competitive hockey. You need guys like that in the locker room and teams need guys that bring energy and do the dirty work. Especially on a team where it's star players are generally unwilling to battle and do the small things to win games.

You need more than just skill to be an effective hockey club, and Hyman brings a different element while also being able to produce respectable numbers for a top 6 player

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It’s your logic that does not make sense... how does it make any sense to put people like Nylander and Matthews on the PK they don’t ever play that role. In the event you lose the face-off, you’d be screwed with them on the ice.
PK isn't rocket science.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad