Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman + Conditional 7th to Toronto for Gregg McKegg (Mod warning post #88)

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Does anyone know why he played in the OJHL rather than the OHL? Was it a hold over year unit he started university - similar to many players in the USHL? Dakota Joshua for example.

Honestly in the hockey world, Zach Hyman, doesn't exactly have the best reputation as a player. Check out this article from 2010, it will give you an idea of the wealth of his family.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...th_nhl_dreams_bankrolled_a_hockey_empire.html

Basically his Dad purchased his Junior A team, ISS scouting, and made a big contribution to Michigan U. It's not common for a Junior A player to put up 75 points in their draft year and get drafted by an NHL team. First three seasons in the NCAA were pretty mediocre and his last season he turned it around. I honestly don't really think he'll turn into anything, but I don't want to write anyone off. He's not skilled enough in my mind to be a top 6 player and not gritty enough to be a bottom 6 guy.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Hope Babs knows what he's doing on this trade. Kegger wasn't chopped liver - he could've sweetened a bigger deal - solid 20 goal scoring centre in the AHL - good teammate - 3rd liner on a decent team.

Zack Hyman has some real game I hope.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Hope Babs knows what he's doing on this trade. Kegger wasn't chopped liver - he could've sweetened a bigger deal - solid 20 goal scoring centre in the AHL - good teammate - 3rd liner on a decent team.

No he wasn't even a 4th line center on a bottom 5 team let alone a decent team. McKegg was nearly worthless and this is a great deal

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Highly doubt McKegg will ever be an NHL regular.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I only saw Hyman play once, so I don't pretend to be an expert on his game. (Though I suspect some of the other "experts" in this thread may never have seen him even once.) I watched a UM game chiefly to have a look at Zach Werenski, at a time when it looked as if the Leafs might be drafting in the range where he might go. I had a secondary interest in watching Dylan Larkin, remembering that the Leafs apparently had an interest in drafting him last year. Hyman wasn't even on my mental radar.

Nevertheless, I kept noticing that this Hyman kid whom I had never heard of was making solid play after solid play. He doubtless was helped by playing with Larkin but the converse is also true from my observation in that game. Hyman was a good skater and did all the little things well. I remember wondering if he might be a possible free agent signing. I googled his name and was a little disappointed but not surprised that he had been drafted.

I don't know why a player of his calibre was relatively unproductive in his first three college seasons. I certainly don't care how rich his Dad is. Hyman is a good prospect. That doesn't mean he will ever be an NHL regular. But I do like the trade and he should now be on our collective prospect radar.

The other thing I recall from the game is that I shook my head wondering why UM wasn't a top contender for the NCAA crown with all the prospects on the team.

mikebel111*

I thought I would bump this. This trade could turn out to be something valuable for us. I keep being impressed by Hyman. He works extremely hard and very good on the board work. He doesn't have a ton of puck skills, but he creates chances with his hard work. He has some decent production right now and looking like a decent player.

25 points in 44 games, with a rating of +24.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
He's one of those guys who has been getting overshadowed on the Marlies, but he's done quite well so far. Don't see him being much of a scorer at the NHL level, but he's got some skill, and if we didn't have a thousand forward prospects on the Marlies, I'd say he would have a good chance of making the Leafs bottom-six next season. He still might do it, depending on how many rookies the Leafs are comfortable with having in the lineup.

mikebel111*

I think Hyman could be in the NHL this season after Leafs start trading some guys at the deadline

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think what stands out most to me is how hard he is on the puck. He's real hard to strip, and he's got a good motor. I think he has a chance to carve out an NHL career.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
I thought he looked better than nylander, leivo, brown, and all the marlies in camp this year...i really thought he would make team, but instead we went with garbage 1 year roster fillers and didnt play our young guys...leivo and him should be on this team

Last edited:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I'm often impressed by Hyman whenever I watch. He's very tenacious, hounds the puck and works hard for it. Like someone else already said, he's one of those guys that gets overshadowed on such a deep team.

Edit: Hahaha funny I was just singing his praises as he slipped and fell in OT, turning the puck over leading to the Marlies losing.

twistedsteel76

Jun 14, 2011
Canada
Honestly in the hockey world, Zach Hyman, doesn't exactly have the best reputation as a player. Check out this article from 2010, it will give you an idea of the wealth of his family.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...th_nhl_dreams_bankrolled_a_hockey_empire.html

Basically his Dad purchased his Junior A team, ISS scouting, and made a big contribution to Michigan U. It's not common for a Junior A player to put up 75 points in their draft year and get drafted by an NHL team. First three seasons in the NCAA were pretty mediocre and his last season he turned it around. I honestly don't really think he'll turn into anything, but I don't want to write anyone off. He's not skilled enough in my mind to be a top 6 player and not gritty enough to be a bottom 6 guy.

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of this. How is the legally allowed to even happen?

Knowing how hard it is to succeed at the higher levels of hockey, I find it difficult to cheer for this guy based on the unfair meddling from his father.

Hearing stories like this is depressing.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for posting this. I was not aware of this. How is the legally allowed to even happen?

Knowing how hard it is to succeed at the higher levels of hockey, I find it difficult to cheer for this guy based on the unfair meddling from his father.

Hearing stories like this is depressing.

The sins of the parent are not the sins of the child. While we can all agree the helicopter parents are a pain, the kid clearly has skill - whether its enough to be an NHLer we will have to see.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
I thought I would bump this. This trade could turn out to be something valuable for us. I keep being impressed by Hyman. He works extremely hard and very good on the board work. He doesn't have a ton of puck skills, but he creates chances with his hard work. He has some decent production right now and looking like a decent player.

25 points in 44 games, with a rating of +24.

Well, according to some fools who post in the Polls section, Hyman > Nylander because he has a higher plus/minus lol...

Seriously, when you have such a deep team, players' numbers can become inflated because of the team's depth/abundance of talent. Zach's been good, but he and numerous others have also befitted from playing on a stacked team...

Of course, it's guys like Nylander that draw the most attention/hardest match-ups, allowing these second-tier guys to really flourish.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Looks like he works hard whenever I have seen him in a game. Might get by on hard work. His point totals in college might have been misleading. His line mate was Dylan Larkin.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Hyman started slowly, I feel like he's been on the scoresheet pretty regularly for a little while now. where can I see his game by game stats?

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
I didn't really think Hyman would turn into much after first hearing about this trade but after seeing him play as a Marlie I would say he has a bright future. He works extremely hard, has speed and good with the puck. He may have had more advantages because of his family's wealth but his play on the ice speaks for itself. He is showing much more upside than Casey Bailey in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad