Confirmed with Link: Zach Hyman + Conditional 7th to Toronto for Gregg McKegg (Mod warning post #88)

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I didn't really think Hyman would turn into much after first hearing about this trade but after seeing him play as a Marlie I would say he has a bright future. He works extremely hard, has speed and good with the puck. He may have had more advantages because of his family's wealth but his play on the ice speaks for itself. He is showing much more upside than Casey Bailey in my opinion.

Anyone have any idea how this 7th round conditional pick turned out? Couldn't find anywhere what the conditions were and I don't see it on capgeek under the Leafs. I've been having trouble sleeping at night for the last couple years with this uncertainty floating around.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Anyone have any idea how this 7th round conditional pick turned out? Couldn't find anywhere what the conditions were and I don't see it on capgeek under the Leafs. I've been having trouble sleeping at night for the last couple years with this uncertainty floating around.

He was going to UFA at the time so I assume Toronto would get the 7th if Hyman didn't sign? It's not a big deal man, get some rest.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Ahhh Gregg McKegg. The guy with a leg for an arm, and an arm for a leg.

Catchy name, but seemed to not prove much in the system. Looks like it was a lateral move for both clubs, that has worked out for both clubs.

Can't argue with that kind of a return.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I prefer Hyman for our current needs. He's a workhorse and despite his lack of skills, he does compliment a skill line very well. He's very similar to Komarov in that sense. He's great on the PK too.

McKegg seems to be doing fine. I always thought he should have been given more minutes in his short stints with the Leafs but Carlyle was a complete idiot.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand the love for Hyman. He's the definition of a dime a dozen player.

He works hard on the ice. He has one assist coming in the first game playing with point leaders Matthews and Nylander. Can anyone justify this?

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
I don't understand the love for Hyman. He's the definition of a dime a dozen player.

He works hard on the ice. He has one assist coming in the first game playing with point leaders Matthews and Nylander. Can anyone justify this?

People love the guys who work hard and give 100%, which Hyman does, but you're right he is a dime a dozen guy and I'd rather see someone else with Matthews and Nylander that can keep up offensively.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He is. But you need those players all the time. As long as they stay cheap and healthy, they will be useful and wanted players. It's not like people are praising Hyman as an elite level talent.

He doesn't look completely out of place with Matthews and Nylander. He's like Komarov in a sense that he gives a different dimension to the line. They seem to enjoy playing with each other too.

The problem with those kind of players when you start paying them too much. Their value decreases dramatically.

Last edited:

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't understand people's obsession with putting all skill guys on a single line. Nylander and Matthews are scoring buckets and Hyman isn't doing nothing. Just because he's not on the score sheet, doesn't mean he isn't helping the line stay in the offensive zone and get out of the defensive zone, which is extremely useful and a big part of Matthews' and Nylander's success on the score sheet.

You can only give one line so many minutes and want to have a scoring threat on the ice for as long as possible.

Besides, the guy is on pace for 164 shots on the season, their line will only get better if sticking together, and he isn't going to finish the year with 0% shooting percentage. Give it some time.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
He is. But you need those players all the time. As long as they stay cheap and healthy, they will be useful and wanted players. It's not like people are praising Hyman as an elite level talent.

He doesn't look completely out of place with Matthews and Nylander. He's like Komarov in a sense that he gives a different dimension to the line. They seem to enjoy playing with each other too.

The problem with those kind of players when you start paying them too much. Their value decreases dramatically.
You need those players on your 4th line, not your 1st.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Big fan of Hyman, he's going to be a very good 3rd liner for a long time. Doesn't have top 6 offence, but really like his hustle, puck retrieval and defensive play, and he's fine offensively for a 3rd liner.

He won't be a long term line mate of Matthews or Nylander, but for now we're rolling 3 balanced lines, without a clear 1st/2nd/3rd line, and he's doing a solid job as the hustle guy for the line. If we eventually go with 2 offensive lines and a shutdown line, he'll be a great piece for that shutdown line.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Big fan of Hyman, he's going to be a very good 3rd liner for a long time. Doesn't have top 6 offence, but really like his hustle, puck retrieval and defensive play, and he's fine offensively for a 3rd liner.

He won't be a long term line mate of Matthews or Nylander, but for now we're rolling 3 balanced lines, without a clear 1st/2nd/3rd line, and he's doing a solid job as the hustle guy for the line. If we eventually go with 2 offensive lines and a shutdown line, he'll be a great piece for that shutdown line.

Don't be so sure about that.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't understand people's obsession with putting all skill guys on a single line. Nylander and Matthews are scoring buckets and Hyman isn't doing nothing. Just because he's not on the score sheet, doesn't mean he isn't helping the line stay in the offensive zone and get out of the defensive zone, which is extremely useful and a big part of Matthews' and Nylander's success on the score sheet.

You can only give one line so many minutes and want to have a scoring threat on the ice for as long as possible.

Besides, the guy is on pace for 164 shots on the season, their line will only get better if sticking together, and he isn't going to finish the year with 0% shooting percentage. Give it some time.

Yes. He wouldn't be the first rookie to have a 1 point in a 5 game stretch and remain in the league:). If he is still shooting blanks when Leivo is healthy or if Shosh heats up I think ZH gets sent down but I have my doubts they would move him to insert another small guy into the lineup. He needs at least another 10 games.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If Babcock likes Hyman, which he does, he's not going anywhere as far as he keeps playing like he does. I really like him on that Matthews line, looks like all 3 have chemistry

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
People love the guys who work hard and give 100%, which Hyman does, but you're right he is a dime a dozen guy and I'd rather see someone else with Matthews and Nylander that can keep up offensively.

brown for now, johnsson works hard and could step in. although he doesn't have grit, jvr has reach and speed.

we have korshov in the pipes. and kap could fill in.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Not if you are rolling 4 lines like the leafs are. I'm sure if they were doing a top 6 bottom 6 thing the lines would reflect that.
How are they rolling lines? You might be confused because they don't have Colton Orr playing 2 minutes a game anymore but there's about a 6 minute difference between the first and fourth lines. Matt Martin plays on the PK and he still only averages 10 minutes. Rolling lines is incredibly stupid for a coach to do and I'm glad Babcock doesn't.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hyman will stay on that line until they find/develop a similar player with a much higher scoring ceiling.

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
In my opinion Hyman should not be playing with Matthews and Nylander. I would put JvR with those 2 moving forward Hyman is a 4th liner at best i really don't understand the love either he is good at what he does but not good enough to justify his role on that line. and yes i have watched all Leafs games this year.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm surprised that McKegg has played the number of games he has for the Panthers. He's a really good AHLer but any time I've seen him at the NHL level he's chasing the play a step behind. He's going to get the occasional points because he's got good hands. This is one of these cases where a trade was made that a team clearly lost and the team wants to justify it by using the player received in return.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Its not all about fantasy hockey.. Hymen adds a presence to that line and wins a ton of puck battles all over the ice. Points will come, certainly not to the extent of nylander and matthews but hes still solid nonetheless.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
In my opinion Hyman should not be playing with Matthews and Nylander. I would put JvR with those 2 moving forward Hyman is a 4th liner at best i really don't understand the love either he is good at what he does but not good enough to justify his role on that line. and yes i have watched all Leafs games this year.

I prefer having balance in our lineup personally. Putting our 3 best forwards on one line draws a ton of attention from other teams top d pairings..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad