Zach Hyman appreciation thread

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Trading for him was the best move that Dubas/Hunter did when they were the co interim gm's.
Wasn't it Babs that said he went to watch Larkin while he was with the Red Wings and came away impressed with Hyman?

Do we gasp... owe it to Babs that we have Hyman?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Wasn't it Babs that said he went to watch Larkin while he was with the Red Wings and came away impressed with Hyman?

I think so. But also an interesting note is that Kyle Dubas was Hyman's "advisor" when he used to play in the NCAA lmao (I literally never heard of that before finding Friedman's Sportsnet quote in this article Toronto Maple Leafs Rumors: Zach Hyman/Kyle Dubas Reunion?).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I think so. But also an interesting note is that Kyle Dubas was Hyman's "advisor" when he used to play in the NCAA lmao (I literally never heard of that before finding Friedman's Sportsnet quote in this article Toronto Maple Leafs Rumors: Zach Hyman/Kyle Dubas Reunion?).
We should also remember that Hyman didn't want to sign with the Panthers despite drafting him in the 5th round at 123rd overall in 2010 draft.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We should also remember that Hyman didn't want to sign with the Panthers despite drafting him in the 5th round at 123rd overall in 2010 draft.
A friend saw Hyman skating at the MCC before the trade and told me he was coming here.
According to my friend Hyman told Fla he would accept a trade to toronto or go to UFA status.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm trying to imagine what I'd think if someone told me in October that Babcock would be fired right when Hyman returns, and then Hyman would get more ice time and have a career year with the new coach.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It amazes me how he comes in mid-season after tearing his ACL and is somehow better than ever

Leafs are lucky to have him

A friend of mine thought it was ludicrous that I said Hyman deserves at least 4M on a long term extension. A lot of people underestimate the impact he has on the team and the skilled guys he plays with. I'm hoping they lock him up this summer.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
A friend of mine thought it was ludicrous that I said Hyman deserves at least 4M on a long term extension. A lot of people underestimate the impact he has on the team and the skilled guys he plays with. I'm hoping they lock him up this summer.

4 is ok, long-term isn't. Hyman's game becomes useless the second he loses a step and can't get be first on the forecheck. Love his game as it is now, but I can't see it aging well into his 30s.

At least when Tavares slows down he's still a threat from distance with his shot and playmaking.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His next contract will be interesting.

He seems to have close connections with the team and i doubt will put up too much of a fuss over a longer term extension.

Though the Leafs after thr big four arent likely looking for any more "fair" value contra ts for forwsrds - theyll be looking for more value.

Thougg if one of Kap/Kerfoot/AJ is traded that becomes easier to find a compromise

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Leafs need a more even mix of Hyman types with AM, MM, WN, JT types.
I know this is a long shot and I will get roasted buy they had another one in Connor Brown. Decent O #'s in junior, currently leading Ottawa in scoring. Beast as D forward. Think Sens would be interested in a Johnnson for Brown. Soupy replaces Johnnson anyway. Brown might look good doing the Hyman work with JT and Willie. Both ate hound dogs on the fore check.

Reactions: Eye Test

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I know this is a long shot and I will get roasted buy they had another one in Connor Brown. Decent O #'s in junior, currently leading Ottawa in scoring. Beast as D forward. Think Sens would be interested in a Johnnson for Brown. Soupy replaces Johnnson anyway. Brown might look good doing the Hyman work with JT and Willie. Both ate hound dogs on the fore check.
Brown failed in the Hyman role here when they tried that, so no.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kapanen & Kerfoot and AJ all make more $$$ than Zach and he is better than all of them.

Kapanen has 1 goal his last 15 games, Kerfoot has 1 goal his last 18 games and AJ had 1 goal in 14 between injuries.

Hyman has 27 points in his last 28 games while missing all of training camp and the 1st month before coming off IR.

Hyman's value & effectiveness to this team is >>> than his flashy skating teammates.

Leafs could trade any and all of Kapanen/Kerfoot and AJ and hardly anybody would notice them missing.. Hyman is a lock to be kept.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen & Kerfoot and AJ all make more $$$ than Zach and he is better than all of them.

Kapanen has 1 goal his last 15 games, Kerfoot has 1 goal his last 18 games and AJ had 1 goal in 14 between injuries.

Hyman has 27 points in his last 28 games while missing all of training camp and the 1st month before coming off IR.

Hyman's value & effectiveness to this team is >>> than his flashy skating teammates.

Leafs could trade any and all of Kapanen/Kerfoot and AJ and hardly anybody would notice them missing.. Hyman is a lock to be kept.
I completely agree that Hyman should be making more than them. However at the time he signed his current contract he was coming off a 10 goal, 18 assist and 28 point season in 2017. So at the time he signed a fair contract.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The Leafs basically promoted Hyman and Brown at the same time and Hyman kept getting better and better and Brown stagnated. Hyman took Brown's role. I wouldn't mind Brown back since he's a better fit and bang for the buck than Johnsson.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kind of want to pay Hyman more money over a shorter period of time than to give him a contract over 5 years in length. If he's a career Leaf hopefully you get him on the next next deal on a lower AAV than the one he's going to sign next. Just don't want to lock him up in a hurry and have an Andrew Ladd situation unfold.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The Leafs basically promoted Hyman and Brown at the same time and Hyman kept getting better and better and Brown stagnated. Hyman took Brown's role. I wouldn't mind Brown back since he's a better fit and bang for the buck than Johnsson.
The problem with Brown is that after his first season with Matthews, he has not been playing at that level since this season when given more play time.
Don’t know why Babs never tried him on his off wing.
Looking at it today, Leafs is better off keeping Brown than AJ but in the summer, I think Brown is more replaceable than AJ due to Moore.
Having said that if Souperman can be back to his preinjury level, he pretty much made both Brown(if he is still with the Leafs) and AJ expandable.
The emergence of Engvall is another factor. Keefe just needs to find the right role Engvall.

Reactions: Menzinger

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Part of the reason for Brown being traded was his $2.1 million AAV and the fact Babcock had him on the 4th line which didn't help his stats.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

He's on the Number 1 line, albeit Ottawa, but he is a useful guy to have around. Another Dubas gem.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Jack Flask

Jan 21, 2020
Hyman is amazing, Love the guy. So valuable.
You said it. If we had 3 more like him I wouldn't be wondering if were making playoffs and i would expect to make it deep in playoffs.
You need more than slick skilled guys. They lack the dimension that Hyman type players have. Ya, they are awesome at what they do but we’ll never win without the ultimate grinders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad