Zach Hyman appreciation thread

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
He’s a gud pro (no sarcasm). He’s one of the few guys that show up every night. He’d be a great shut down guy in the playoffs. Put him with Kadri to shadow the Bergeron line.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
good passer and very good decision-maker especially from the corners and behind the net

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Not the biggest Hyman fan, but he's a good workhorse. Gotta appreciate the effort he puts in.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
No doubt he’s earned my respect for sure. Also this article to me just makes me like him that much more..he’s actually saying what that showing against the islanders was...an embarrassment, instead of masking it
Quick Shifts: Unlikely voice calls out no-show Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

He's a guy that shows up every night and the effort level shows. I hope his words carry weight with the group, because the run and gun junior superstar mentality needs to be phased out of the group culture.

Reactions: Ports

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2019-3-2_18-36-10.png

Zach's Corsica Hockey rating has gone up.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
That is almost exactly the opposite of how I would describe him.

I appreciate his effort but he's a glorified grinder being dragged along by Marner and Tavares.
last season he had 24 even strength assists. That puts him 3rd on the team for forwards. For perspective Mitch Marner had 28 and Nylander led the team with 34.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I appreciate his effort but he's a glorified grinder being dragged along by Marner and Tavares.
Not sure what people are looking for or why he takes so much heat.
You aren’t getting another Nylander top 6.

If all the skill played with the same intensity we’d be unstoppable.

Look at the contenders top 9 wingers:
Pittsburgh: Guentzel,Reese,McCann,Kessel,Hornqvist,Simon

Boston: Marchand,Debrusk,Johansson,Pastrnak,Heinen,Wagner/Backes

Tampa: Palat,Johnson,Killorn,Kucherov,Gourde,Miller

Washington:
Ovi,Wilson,Oshie,Vrana,Connolly,Burakovsky

These are all a mix of styles surrounding the centers. I don’t like paying major cap for multiple wingers and you need a solid mix.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Hyman the person just seem like such a confident, passionate guy with a good head on his shoulders.

last season he had 24 even strength assists. That puts him 3rd on the team for forwards. For perspective Mitch Marner had 28 and Nylander led the team with 34.
You can add that his amount of behind the net-passes, which is passes from down low into the slot, is actually at a high-end level. Those are great, dangerous passes, and he finds a way to make a lot of them.

Reactions: saltming

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Not sure what people are looking for or why he takes so much heat.
You aren’t getting another Nylander top 6.

If all the skill played with the same intensity we’d be unstoppable.

But most of them do. Tavares, Marner, Johnsson and Kapanen rarely slack off. I'd argue that after the first 5-10 games back when he was clearly out of shape, Nylander has been putting in good efforts too, though he sometimes get caught out of position in his own zone (but who doesn't). That leaves Kadri, Matthews and Marleau as the inconsistent types. Argue about that if you want, I guess.

Yes, you can put up points playing with Matthews. That's not really a surprise.

Here are numbers for the last two seasons combined. Hyman's scoring rates are below every other top 9 winger save Marleau and Brown, despite the fact that he's been stapled to a top 10 NHL center for most of that time.

I'm not going to criticize Hyman's effort but I don't buy the narrative that he's contributing some indispensable service in the top 6. I'd rather have guys with slightly less gud pro and better puck skills like Johnsson and Kapanen. Hell, even Trevor Moore has some hands as shown by his setup to Petan last night.

You can add that his amount of behind the net-passes, which is passes from down low into the slot, is actually at a high-end level. Those are great, dangerous passes, and he finds a way to make a lot of them.

I'm really not seeing it.

Reactions: ToMaLe and nofehr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad