Zach Hyman appreciation thread

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
@saltming too bad on pace doesn’t count in our bet!!! He is playing at a 57 point pace but alas with the games remaining won’t get him to 50 currently

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
@saltming too bad on pace doesn’t count in our bet!!! He is playing at a 57 point pace but alas with the games remaining won’t get him to 50 currently
I guess Hyman also needs to be on the ice for more empty net goals when the Leafs are in a situation like that.

Although if he's on the ice with Matthews I rather see Matthews get the goal so he can be closer to 50, however Hyman could still get a point via an assist.

Reactions: Walshy7

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I guess Hyman also needs to be on the ice for more empty net goals when the Leafs are in a situation like that.

Although if he's on the ice with Matthews I rather see Matthews get the goal so he can be closer to 50, however Hyman could still get a point via an assist.
Just like he did against Nashville. Selfless player!

Reactions: LeafsNation75

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
He fits the Matthews & Marner combo far better than the Matthews-Nylander or Tavares-Nylander combos.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Zach Hyman has been a polarizing player for the Leafs, one that at least half of the fanbase hated for years... wasn't talented enough to play on top lines, why is he there, and so on... and yet, he's on pace for 62 points this year, at least on a PPG basis. 25 points in 33 games. He's 27, will be 29 when his contract expires at the end of next season.

I've defended what he's brought to the table for years, but you'd have to think, this is a guy who you move in the right deal. If he finishes this year on this pace, and duplicates it again next year... are you going to extend a 29 year old banger at $4-5 million plus for 3-5 years?

Fantastic trade, and he's been great value, and an important cog... but you can't really say he's a core player. But we've got to find the next Hyman, or Josh Anderson, that hasn't broken out yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Don't look now but Zach Hyman has recorded 27 points in his last 28 games.

Slowly but surely Leafs hardest working player is being rewarded for his efforts and the Leafs are the benefactors.
Do you think he gets more than 21 goals since that was his career high which he set last season. Right now he's at 17 and looking like that will happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do you think he gets more than 21 goals since that was his career high which he set last season. Right now he's at 17 and looking like that will happen.

You bet .. Don't forget he has only played 39 games this year missing the first month and all of training camp in recovery. 21 goals personal best is on 82 games played.

Since coming off LTIR and missing camp and 1st month of the season he is almost up to a PPG pace of 31 points in 39 games played.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You bet .. Don't forget he has only played 39 games this year missing the first month and all of training camp in recovery. 21 goals personal best is on 82 games played.

Since coming off LTIR and missing camp and 1st month of the season he is almost up to a PPG pace of 31 points in 39 games played.
I know how he missed the first 19 games and that's what makes his goal scoring even more remarkable. Plus he seems to be getting less empty net goals compared to last season.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know how he missed the first 19 games and that's what makes his goal scoring even more remarkable. Plus he seems to be getting less empty net goals compared to last season.

What might even be more surprising to some is that under coach Keefe he is even getting PP time and has 3 PPG and 3 PPA on the season as the coach rewards hard work.

Under the last coach it was no secret Hyman was his favourite and even then we didn't see PP time only extensive PK time.

Considering he only makes $2.25 mil AAV and so compared to his more flashy teammates Kerfoot, Kapanen and AJ that make more $$ his stats are better than all of them at a better price point.

Hyman is really establishing himself as a true top 6 forward on the Leafs, not only playing there, but contributing as one as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What might even be more surprising to some is that under coach Keefe he is even getting PP time and has 3 PPG and 3 PPA on the season as the coach rewards hard work.

Under the last coach it was no secret Hyman was his favourite and even then we didn't see PP time only extensive PK time.

Considering he only makes $2.25 mil AAV and so compared to his more flashy teammates Kerfoot, Kapanen and AJ that make more $$ his stats are better than all of them at a better price point.

Hyman is really establishing himself as a true top 6 forward on the Leafs, not only playing there, but contributing as one as well.
I thought Keefe only uses him on the power play if he needed to replace someone like Nylander because didn't that happen last night?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought Keefe only uses him on the power play if he needed to replace someone like Nylander because didn't that happen last night?

When healthy the Leafs 1st PP unit consists of Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander ..

Zach fills in when someone is out .. But that makes his stats even better having 3-3-6 points on the PP in limited minutes this year and situational as well.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When healthy the Leafs 1st PP unit consists of Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Nylander ..

Zach fills in when someone is out .. But that makes his stats even better having 3-3-6 points on the PP in limited minutes this year and situational as well.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Keefe use Hyman on the 2nd power unit, because that's got to be where his power play stats are coming from.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Based on the type of game he plays I wouldn't sign him past his current contract. Zero chance he continues to play that same style into his 30s. Hopefully Robertson becomes that next Hyman.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Zach Hyman is one of my favourite Leafs. My opinion of him changed forever during the 2017-2018 playoffs versus the Bruins. I absolutely love the guy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Keefe use Hyman on the 2nd power unit, because that's got to be where his power play stats are coming from.

Appears to be for the most part.

Summary:

Zach Hyman (1) (Power Play) Assists: Jason Spezza,Tyson Barrie
Mitch Marner (6) (Power Play) Assists: Zach Hyman
Zach Hyman (9) (Power Play) Assists: Morgan Rielly, Jason Spezza
Zach Hyman (12) (Power Play) Assists: Rasmus Sandin, Jason Spezza
Jason Spezza (8) (Power Play) Assists: Rasmus Sandin, Zach Hyman
John Tavares (21) (Power Play )Assists: Auston Matthews, Zach Hyman

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Appears to be for the most part.

Summary:

Zach Hyman (1) (Power Play) Assists: Jason Spezza,Tyson Barrie
Mitch Marner (6) (Power Play) Assists: Zach Hyman
Zach Hyman (9) (Power Play) Assists: Morgan Rielly, Jason Spezza
Zach Hyman (12) (Power Play) Assists: Rasmus Sandin, Jason Spezza
Jason Spezza (8) (Power Play) Assists: Rasmus Sandin, Zach Hyman
John Tavares (21) (Power Play )Assists: Auston Matthews, Zach Hyman
That's what I thought and thanks for posting those stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad