Zach Hyman A.K.A Babcock's Son Appreciation Thread

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm surprised people still think Hyman and Kapanen are fighting for spots. It's Ennis/Leivo and Kap that are. I do think Kap should be in over Ennis though.
It's going to be a domino effect when Matthews returns. Matthews takes back the left side on the PP, Tavares goes back to net front on PP #1, Marleau goes back to net front on PP #2 and Hyman goes back to 5 on 5 and PK duties.
Hyman's spot is a lock as long as Babs is behind the bench but what was the purpose with multiple changes to the pp when all they had to do was slide Kap into AM's spot while he's out ?

basically all it looks like is Babs using AM's injury to get his MVP on the pp

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't know if he understands the PP structure or he just hates hyman, its hard to tell with these guys lol
Maybe something more visual helps.

PP#1 (Before Matthews injury)

*Front of net*
Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

PP#2

*Front of net*
Marleau
Leivo-Johnsson-Ennis
Gardiner

PP#1 (After Matthews injury)
*Front of net*
Marleau
Tavares-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

PP#2
*Front of net*
Hyman
Leivo-Johnsson-Ennis
Gardiner

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
i fix
PP#1 (Before Matthews injury)​

*Front of net*
Tavares
Matthews-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

PP#2

*Front of net*
Marleau
Leivo-Johnsson-Ennis
Gardiner

PP#1 (After Matthews injury)
*Front of net*
Marleau
Tavares-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

PP#2
*Front of net*
Hyman
Leivo-Johnsson-Ennis
Gardiner

Reactions: Liminality

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hyman's spot is a lock as long as Babs is behind the bench but what was the purpose with multiple changes to the pp when all they had to do was slide Kap into AM's spot while he's out ?

It's not as much change as you think. Matthews is a shooter on the left side, Tavares is also a really good shooter (Better than Kap) so he goes in his spot which leaves a net front presence spot. Marleau has that role on the PP#2 so he goes to do that on PP#1. Hyman comes in as an option for the net front presence. If it was any other role Hyman wouldn't get that job.

Edit.
Matthews also shoots left, just like Tavares. Kapanen shoots right.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Looks like they want a LH shooter where Matthew was. They started with Marleau, who didn't work, so they switch the setup after.

Babs could have easily just put Hyman in Matthews spot if you want to play your stupid "Hyman's dad" game. Gets Hyman extra minutes in a prime spot and the smallest amount of changes to the setup.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It's not as much change as you think. Matthews is a shooter on the left side, Tavares is also a really good shooter (Better than Kap) so he goes in his spot which leaves a net front presence spot. Marleau has that role on the PP#2 so he goes to do that on PP#1. Hyman comes in as an option for the net front presence. If it was any other role Hyman wouldn't get that job.

Edit.
Would be understandable if Zach didn't have clubs for hands! Iy seems to me that Babs is doing everything he can to get Hymans stats up,so that he doesn't need to keep explaining why he gets so much ice -time. Seriously, Zach being the insert for Auston makes this beyond obvious. End of the game...empty net...put out Zach the sharpshooter. It 's ridiculous. AS a paying customer,do you want to see more Zach or more Marner?

Reactions: TimPeel and hotpaws

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Edit.
Kap being a right shot playing the left side on the pp is a benefit and how most coach's run there pp .

basically all this switching is just Babs creating a spot for Hyman

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Looks like they want a LH shooter where Matthew was. They started with Marleau, who didn't work, so they switch the setup after.

Babs could have easily just put Hyman in Matthews spot if you want to play your stupid "Hyman's dad" game. Gets Hyman extra minutes in a prime spot and the smallest amount of changes to the setup.
and most coach's run there pp with the shooter on his off wing which you already know but choose to ignore

and of course Hyman's Babs son , who else would play him that much , the guys has one goal and even that was a lucky bank shot and he gets promoted to the pp ? lol , who would do that other than the father of a player

Kaps been playing well but can't sniff the pp , probably because they want to suppress his production (but that'll be our little secret).

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kap being a right shot playing the left side on the pp is a benefit and how most coach's run there pp .

So to summarize

Your issue is Babs changed the entire PP setup to accomodate Hyman (heh)

And your solution is to use a RH shot and switch to a one-time focus rather than the tip/long pass we have now. Aka you want to change our PP setup to accomodate your boy Kapanen

Reactions: Liminality

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So to summarize

Your issue is Babs changed the entire PP setup to accomodate Hyman (heh)

And your solution is to use a RH shot and switch to a one-time focus rather than the tip/long pass we have now. Aka you want to change our PP setup to accomodate your boy Kapanen
i could have swore AM shot quite often from his spot on the pp but i guess i'll ignore that as well since the obvious choice to be promoted to the pp once Mathews went down was the Hyman , lol

also being a right hand shot doesn't stop him from doing the tip/long pass

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don’t think he really prevented Matthews from scoring goals and he certainly hasn’t hindered Tavares, so what’s the big deal?
I couldn't disagree more! Why is he not with Matthews? Most suspect the reason is Auston doesn't want him there. I think this as well. I'm already noticing how both JT and Marner are ignoring Zach in the O zone.. Zachs lack of skill is cringy to watch.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Wait what?? Where does everyone get that Mathews demanded Babcock he doesnt want to play with Hyman?? I sure hope this isnt true because thats a selfish pos thing to do... I dont believe it, I feel like Mathews is better than this or else thats really f***ing disappointing.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

If they're shooting one timers maybe. That's what they tried last year with Matthews and Nylander switching spots. That didn't work as well as their original spots.
Our pp has been one of the best for 3 years and I think having that open hand on the wings gives the PP lots of options.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
i could have swore AM shot quite often from his spot on the pp but i guess i'll ignore that as well since the obvious choice to be promoted to the pp once Mathews went down was the Hyman , lol
He didn't one time it, he stopped and shot. One of the reason it works is because the puck is going completely cross ice from Marner (righty) to the far side with two tip threats in the middle. For Kap to one-time you're looking at more sticks in the middle of the ice aka not as far for the goalie to go. The other option is to have Rielly and Kap control more for the one-time option, which is how most traditional Pp setups work.

The obvious choice was Marleau to PP1, which we saw. PP2 is a different setup altogether.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
we don't because Mathews was pissed last year and forced his way onto the first pp unit
Marner could play the other side of the ice and have 4 one-timer options if they wanted. So that's not it.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Wait what?? Where does everyone get that Mathews demanded Babcock he doesnt want to play with Hyman?? I sure hope this isnt true because thats a selfish pos thing to do... I dont believe it, I feel like Mathews is better than this or else thats really ****ing disappointing.
Surely you are not naive enough to think players don't have some input when it comes to line-mates.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Would be understandable if Zach didn't have clubs for hands! Iy seems to me that Babs is doing everything he can to get Hymans stats up,so that he doesn't need to keep explaining why he gets so much ice -time. Seriously, Zach being the insert for Auston makes this beyond obvious. End of the game...empty net...put out Zach the sharpshooter. It 's ridiculous. AS a paying customer,do you want to see more Zach or more Marner?

The sooner dinosaurs like Babcock are gone the better. Somewhere along the lines NHL coaches snuffed a lot of creativity out the game. I am sick of hearing about over structured systems, especially when they result in lots of icings and scrubs getting ice time. I love to win, but I love it more when we win in style. There is no reason why this team cannot perform as dynamically at home as they do on the road. I am sick of line matching and defensive responsibilities. This team should be focusing on quick close passes to break out of their zone, and a speedy puck possession zone entry. I hate the fact the Babcock wants our top players to grind it out.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He didn't one time it, he stopped and shot. One of the reason it works is because the puck is going completely cross ice from Marner (righty) to the far side with two tip threats in the middle. For Kap to one-time you're looking at more sticks in the middle of the ice aka not as far for the goalie to go. The other option is to have Rielly and Kap control more for the one-time option, which is how most traditional Pp setups work.

The obvious choice was Marleau to PP1, which we saw. PP2 is a different setup altogether.
it pretty much impossible to one time it unless your on you off wing and that's why AM stopped it before he shot

and Kap can easily adjust his positioning if there's too much traffic in the way like you suggest

the obvious choice is not to promote a player who didn't have a goal at that time to the pp regardless of what other changes Babs wanted to install

i have no idea how anyone can defend Hyman being promoted to the PP as well not questioning why Kap can't get pp mins

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Surely you are not naive enough to think players don't have some input when it comes to line-mates.
But 'demanding' are you serious? They f***ing better not. Its one thing to sell a free agent on potential line mates, but when the season is on its the coach that decides where they player plays, they need to shut up and do there job the coach is the boss with governing the team. at least in every sport that Ive ever known....

If a player wants to have a discussion on what could work after practice thats one thing but no player can demand who they will and wont play with that is complete bullshit...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

The whole hockey world knows the Leafs PP goes through Mitch. They have used Morgan lately as a set-up option(which has been exciting) ....Auston sniping from the left side ,JT as the net presence and Kadri in the high slot. This has been successful and fantastic to watch!
So ,without Auston,a suitable and not so disrupting replacement could be Kap or Leivo maybe,or Andreas....but no,not Babs ...Lets use the least talented guy we got and stick him in front of the goalie in hopes that one or two goes in off his arse! Hyman,the 'powdered toast man' of the Leafs!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad