Zach Hyman “The Line King” !

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
the only time anybody didnt like Hyman was when he was forced onto the Matthews line in their rookie seasons, nobody ever questioned anything but his offensive game. That's a good sign. Since then he has only improved offensively while maintaining the rest of his game

Now he's pretty much the perfect player to have on your team, and i don't care if hes not an elite player overall, he is very much part of the core.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I used to call Bismack Biyombo, "Cinderblock". I kinda like having this 3rd line made of 3 Biyombo's - Cinderblock hands be damned.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
The oilers feed was singing his praises tonight. A real valuable player. He makes everyone he plays with better and never takes a shift off. Possibly the best grinder in the league

Reactions: weems

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Hyman is a finisher, not, a playmaker.

It's better for him to have a line centered around him, versus him playing on Matthews' line.

Matthew's and Marner need someone who can pass the puck to them.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Hyman the killer worker Bee

upload_2021-3-1_22-56-28.jpeg

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Human putting up numbers more and more like during his time with Michigan Wolverines

In his senior season, Hyman was named alternate captain. He was Michigan's leading scorer, and the Big Ten Scoring Champion, setting a new record with 54 points, scoring 22 goals and 32 assists in only 37 games. Hyman became the first Michigan player to record 20 goals in a season since Louie Caporusso, and the first player to record 50 points or more since Carl Hagelin during the 2009–10 season. Hyman led the team with 17 multiple-point games, including six games with three or more points.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

It's better for him to have a line centered around him, versus him playing on Matthews' line.

Hyman is a straight up hockey player who will chip in a bit of everything and play his nuts off. He can play anywhere with anybody. I have all the time in the world for him.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I've never been more wrong about a player than Zach Hyman. I think he's amazing. After the obvious top talented guys, he's the best forward we got and any team would be lucky to have a guy like him.

I am hoping he plays his entire career for the Leafs not because he's untouchable or anything, I just think he represents what it is to be a Leaf better than any player on this team. Works his butt off every game. We could be losing 5-0 or winning it 5-0 and Hyman's effort is always there. He's never a passenger.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014

This, a thousand times this. Hyman is less when he is constantly thinking he needs to get the puck to more skilled guys than him. Third line Hyman is Godzilla because he can do what he does best without knowing he is holding skilled players back.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think Hyman signs for cheap unless he wants to stay with us.

IMO Hyman > Gallagher, Anderson etc (we don't let Hyman play much on the PP so his totals are almost entire ES / short handed most of the times). Look at what Bergevin gave a guy like Anderson and Gallagher.

It'll be tough unless we go 7-8 years. I am okay with that if the AAV is small.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
the only time anybody didnt like Hyman was when he was forced onto the Matthews line in their rookie seasons, nobody ever questioned anything but his offensive game. That's a good sign. Since then he has only improved offensively while maintaining the rest of his game

Now he's pretty much the perfect player to have on your team, and i don't care if hes not an elite player overall, he is very much part of the core.
I liked what you said but I feel like they also didn't think he could play Defense. But otherwise spot on.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I've never been more wrong about a player than Zach Hyman. I think he's amazing. After the obvious top talented guys, he's the best forward we got and any team would be lucky to have a guy like him.

I am hoping he plays his entire career for the Leafs not because he's untouchable or anything, I just think he represents what it is to be a Leaf better than any player on this team. Works his butt off every game. We could be losing 5-0 or winning it 5-0 and Hyman's effort is always there. He's never a passenger.

This is what I find to valuable too.

Obviously we wall want to win, and want the teams we support to win.

However, as I get older, I find me valuing other things differently. I value feeling pride even greater than winning. Obviously, winning often brings pride.

But regardless of winning, Zach Hyman oozes pride. He takes pride in his personal performance regardless of anything else and it shows.

He's a leader of men and a shining example to many.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
This is what I find to valuable too.

Obviously we wall want to win, and want the teams we support to win.

However, as I get older, I find me valuing other things differently. I value feeling pride even greater than winning. Obviously, winning often brings pride.

But regardless of winning, Zach Hyman oozes pride. He takes pride in his personal performance regardless of anything else and it shows.

He's a leader of men and a shining example to many.
Now that’s a great take on maturity and a melding of old school with new school
Good on ya brotha
Go Leafs Go

Reactions: Gabriel426

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
A large part of the criticism of Hyman under Babcock was not necessarily that Hyman never deserved a shot to play with Matthews, but rather that Babcock treated Hyman as THE ANCHOR of his forwards corp. For babcock, Hyman was central to his top line - whether that was with matthews the first two years or with tavares the 3rd year - whatever line Hyman was on was the one that Babcock considered to be his first line.

And no matter how well Hyman plays, i will still say that was always ludicrous.

Now that Keefe has built his team the logical way - i.e. with the anchor of his lineup being 2 of Matthews/Marner/tavares/nylander on each of the top 2 lines, with the other forwards including Hyman moved around from their LW to the 3rd line depending on fit - everything makes much more sense to me at least....and unsurprisingly its allowing Hyman to flourish even more than ever - whether that's as a complement to either of the top 2 lines, or whether that's in an arguably even more important role as the anchor of his own 3rd line.

And it is kinda funny that after a career being stapled to first line wing, its now driving his own 3rd line that he might now receive more praise and love than ever before - something we all said might be his best role from the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad