Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sure, giving them time in Utica is obviously an option for the ones over 20. Doesn't work with Horvat, Virtanen, etc. But I'm clinging to the Kid Line fantasy because that's pretty much the only way the Canucks are really going to pose any threat next year imho. Say during the preseason a Virtanen/Horvat/Shinkaruk line destroys the opposition. Every time they're on the ice, things happen. They dominate possession, score beauty goals, draw penalties, and do everything good NHL lines are supposed to do. Then they hop back to the bench, and a Higgins/Matthias/Hansen line gets owned for 2 minutes. What do we do? Say: "Thanks for coming out kids, have fun in junior!" to make room for the vets who aren't getting the job done? Jesus I hope not.

Anyway, I digress.

Waive Dorsett and trade Richardson, trade Hansen and Higgins. Play the kids.

Honestly, I'd be so happy to see the team in that pickle.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lolololol nice dig. Now let's all get up in arms about those crucial 4th rounders!

That's not the point. The point is that some of us expressed what turned out to be a valid and accurate opinion about the trade for Welsh and Dalpe and people, as usual, attacked that opinion.

Sure enough, now that it turns out to be 100% accurate, you're doing the old "Pfftt, not like those 4th rounders mattered anyway". Why don't you just admit that, yeah, it was a terrible trade, a useless trade. It's not even about the 4th rounders. It's about the fact that those who look at things without Canucks blinders on sometimes know what they're talking about and don't deserve to be trashed every single time they state an opinion that doesn't shed the Canucks in a positive light. We're all Canucks fans, some of just choose to look at things perfectly objectively instead of making a ton of effort to bend every single thing into a positive for the Canucks.

Lastly, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The super positive Canucks fans claim the drafting is getting better - which it is, in my opinion - and are always there saying give the prospects a chance. So, by that logic those 4th rounders could very well turn into good players now, couldn't they?

We gave two 4th rounders that could have turned into solid players for this organization. Even if they didn't, the Canucks would have had several years to try. Instead they gave them up for two fringe players whom they got a couple months out of. Now they're both gone.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's not the point. The point is that some of us expressed what turned out to be a valid and accurate opinion about the trade for Welsh and Dalpe and people, as usual, attacked that opinion.

Sure enough, now that it turns out to be 100% accurate, you're doing the old "Pfftt, not like those 4th rounders mattered anyway". Why don't you just admit that, yeah, it was a terrible trade, a useless trade. It's not even about the 4th rounders. It's about the fact that those who look at things without Canucks blinders on sometimes know what they're talking about and don't deserve to be trashed every single time they state an opinion that doesn't shed the Canucks in a positive light. We're all Canucks fans, some of just choose to look at things perfectly objectively instead of making a ton of effort to bend every single thing into a positive for the Canucks.

Lastly, you can't have your cake and eat it too. The super positive Canucks fans claim the drafting is getting better - which it is, in my opinion - and are always there saying give the prospects a chance. So, by that logic those 4th rounders could very well turn into good players now, couldn't they?

We gave two 4th rounders that could have turned into solid players for this organization. Even if they didn't, the Canucks would have had several years to try. Instead they gave them up for two fringe players whom they got a couple months out of. Now they're both gone.

We gave *one* fourth-rounder for Dalpe and Welsh :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684672

Trading a 4th-round pick for a young player with some potential who had excelled in the AHL isn't a 'terrible' move. We took a chance and even though the move didn't turn out, we still got a year of service on an NHL roster from Dalpe, which is more than can be said for 75% of 4th round picks.

It was a 'meh' move, a worthwhile try that didn't turn out where we didn't lose much. The big shame was that Torts buried Dalpe and we never really got to see what we had.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
We gave *one* fourth-rounder for Dalpe and Welsh :

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=684672

Trading a 4th-round pick for a young player with some potential who had excelled in the AHL isn't a 'terrible' move. We took a chance and even though the move didn't turn out, we still got a year of service on an NHL roster from Dalpe, which is more than can be said for 75% of 4th round picks.

It was a 'meh' move, a worthwhile try that didn't turn out where we didn't lose much. The big shame was that Torts buried Dalpe and we never really got to see what we had.

Weird, for some reason I had it in my mind we gave up 2 4th rounders. Oh well, I stand corrected.

But again, it's not even about the 4th round pick. I'm not arguing with the idea behind the move. I realize why the Canucks did it and that it's a fairly common type of trade. What I'm saying is that some people predicted it was a bad move from the get-go and as per the usual caught flak for it. All I'm saying is it makes for better discussion if everyone's opinion is treated with respect, not just the positive ones.

Anyway, it's of no consequence now. Just trying to encourage more amicable discussion.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

In regards to my post, it totally was the point. Shareefruck had a lighthearted (?) chirp and I threw one back. Nothing more to it.

You can hate on the trade all you want, but I still say it was a hockey trade. Dalpe was a second round pick, had solid AHL numbers and clearly has upside. He ended up playing 55 games for us anyway. Just because it didn't work out in the long run doesn't mean it was the end of the world.

Sure it could have turned into a player if we retained it, but the chances are low, and at best would have take a number of years to come to fruition.

For the record, I never attacked anyone, I just defended the trade.

Again, don't think its worth getting up in arms over.

bo2shink*

Sure enough, now that it turns out to be 100% accurate,...

Except you cant actually prove any accuracy. We very well may have gotten more out Dalpe and Welsh than that pick. Luckily for your need to be right on the internet you won't ever have to face that possibility.

wholesickcrew

May 7, 2010
Toronto
Weird, for some reason I had it in my mind we gave up 2 4th rounders. Oh well, I stand corrected.

But again, it's not even about the 4th round pick. I'm not arguing with the idea behind the move. I realize why the Canucks did it and that it's a fairly common type of trade. What I'm saying is that some people predicted it was a bad move from the get-go and as per the usual caught flak for it. All I'm saying is it makes for better discussion if everyone's opinion is treated with respect, not just the positive ones.

Anyway, it's of no consequence now. Just trying to encourage more amicable discussion.

And rightly so, even from where we stand now. Welsh and Dalpe getting dumped (and Santorelli too, for that matter) may be as much about the regime change as about performance. Even Welsh showed more than we expected--people generally considered him a cap dump at the time of the trade--making this a relatively successful trade, even if it's not a home run.

If anyone treated those who disliked the trade with disrespect, that truly is a shame. But there's no reason that people shouldn't have countered those opinions, and it seems reasonable that there would be a lot of people in favour of the trade, or at least not against it.

Finally, it's not as though only positive views are considered popular on this board, as you seem to say. Indeed, finding negativity is never very hard. Go and look at the Garrison and Kesler trades (even the more unremarkable Vey trade) to see recent examples of popular dissent.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'd be thrilled if our 2014 4th rounder put up the type of numbers in the AHL that Dalpe did. That's not to mention Welsh who looked serviceable in a a 4th line role - it's just too bad our new management decided not to keep them. It was worth a shot, just didn't turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad