Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
They really never got much of a chance here. Dalpe could develop into something in the right environment.

bo2shink*

Called it at the time and, as you can imagine, got ridiculed for it: waste of two 4th round draft picks.

There are moments in man's life when he should be proud and I hope this one is big for you. You called it!!!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
That's the nature of dumpster diving. Some times you find a Dalpe, sometimes you find a Stanton or Santorelli.

Also sometimes a Cam Barker *shudder*.

I really hope Benning lets one of our young guys get a shot instead of rooting through the Bargain Bin like Gillis. He was a little too fond of that for my liking.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
I didn't mind the trade at the time and I still don't mind it. It didn't work out.

Sometimes she goes, sometimes she doesn't. F**kin way she goes, boys.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not sure if you can say that the trade didn't work out. The team needed depth and got two players who ended up playing some games for the Canucks. I suppose in hindsight it was a high price to pay given neither player are brought back. I suppose if Dorsett plays one year here and then leaves it would be a waste of a 3rd round pick?

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

I really hope Benning lets one of our young guys get a shot instead of rooting through the Bargain Bin like Gillis. He was a little too fond of that for my liking.

He got it right with Malhotra & Torres. Best 3rd line Canucks have had in forever. Then again in the same summer, he gave up on Mitchell, panicked that he wouldn't find a better replacement and traded for Ballard.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Malhotra was not a "bargain bin" signing. He was the year before, when he was training in Vancouver in September waiting for an offer and finally got one from the Sharks for $0.7m.

One example of a trip to the bargain bin this team should have made..

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Not like he had a lot of choice, the scouts couldn't find a prospect pre-2011 if one was standing outside their house everyday waiving a placard saying "I'm a prospect".

Gillis couldn't play what the scouts couldn't find, it isn't that Gillis wanted not to play them but there just weren't any worth playing. At least Gillis left an excellent prospect group, our current group including the last draft with the picks Gillis left behind, should be pushing their way on to the roster over the next few years.

I think Benning is going to avoid the prospects this year, it seems the roster is basically fully except for another spare forward/D, it isn't a bad thing to push Gaunce and Shinkaruk etc through a year in the AHL. I am looking forward to seeing the group progress over the next 3 years as there should be a massive push from Gillis' 2011-14 prospect group + what Benning can wrangle up in the future draft + what he can get from trading away more vets.

Exciting times ahead.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
He got it right with Malhotra & Torres. Best 3rd line Canucks have had in forever. Then again in the same summer, he gave up on Mitchell, panicked that he wouldn't find a better replacement and traded for Ballard.

Well, just to reiterate the same hindsight argument that's been made a thousand times, Mitchell was coming off the concussion courtesy of Malkin that wiped out the rest of his season and nobody even knew if he'd be able to play again, nobody foresaw Ballard and AV having whatever weird dysfunction they did, and nobody knew if we'd be able to sign Hamhuis at the time, and yeah. I wouldn't classify Malhotra in the same Bargain Bin signing as Dalpe and Welsh as he was still a known and valuable commodity at the time, and Torres...well, I do miss Torres sometimes.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Not like he had a lot of choice, the scouts couldn't find a prospect pre-2011 if one was standing outside their house everyday waiving a placard saying "I'm a prospect".

Gillis couldn't play what the scouts couldn't find, it isn't that Gillis wanted not to play them but there just weren't any worth playing. At least Gillis left an excellent prospect group, our current group including the last draft with the picks Gillis left behind, should be pushing their way on to the roster over the next few years.

I think Benning is going to avoid the prospects this year, it seems the roster is basically fully except for another spare forward/D, it isn't a bad thing to push Gaunce and Shinkaruk etc through a year in the AHL. I am looking forward to seeing the group progress over the next 3 years as there should be a massive push from Gillis' 2011-14 prospect group + what Benning can wrangle up in the future draft + what he can get from trading away more vets.

Exciting times ahead.

I mostly agree. Some of the kids will get a chance through injuries though. It's a very solid setup.

Last edited:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Exciting times ahead.

Okay, our terrible prospect pool did necessitate MG's Value Village shopping sprees somewhat, I'll give you that. At the same time, those guys were on those shelves for a reason. I'd have rather seen a full season of Biega or Sauve than the snippets of Barker we got.

But what the hell, I've said it before, I'll say it again: my wet dream hope is that three of those young guys (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Jensen, Virtanen, McCann, etc) can form a line in training camp and be too good to send down. Other teams find guys who can make an impact in the NHL at 18, 19...why can't we? (aside from the obvious reasons of our scouting and drafting being horrible for 4 decades and everything). I know I'm probably fantasizing, but if they're good, why send them down? Like Hansen's suddenly going to turn into a 30 goal scorer...

Anyway, Dalpe and Welsh suck.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well, just to reiterate the same hindsight argument that's been made a thousand times, Mitchell was coming off the concussion courtesy of Malkin that wiped out the rest of his season and nobody even knew if he'd be able to play again, nobody foresaw Ballard and AV having whatever weird dysfunction they did, and nobody knew if we'd be able to sign Hamhuis at the time, and yeah. I wouldn't classify Malhotra in the same Bargain Bin signing as Dalpe and Welsh as he was still a known and valuable commodity at the time, and Torres...well, I do miss Torres sometimes.

Yep. SJ got Malhotra from the bargain bin though on a cheap 1 year deal which allowed him to rebuild his career. He played great there and then we signed him to a big deal but he wasn't a bargain bin guy anymore.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yep. SJ got Malhotra from the bargain bin though on a cheap 1 year deal which allowed him to rebuild his career. He played great there and then we signed him to a big deal but he wasn't a bargain bin guy anymore.

He was the perfect 3rd line centre before losing his eye. I remember seeing that and thinking: "There goes the Stanley Cup. Right there."

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Okay, our terrible prospect pool did necessitate MG's Value Village shopping sprees somewhat, I'll give you that. At the same time, those guys were on those shelves for a reason. I'd have rather seen a full season of Biega or Sauve than the snippets of Barker we got.

But what the hell, I've said it before, I'll say it again: my wet dream hope is that three of those young guys (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, Jensen, Virtanen, McCann, etc) can form a line in training camp and be too good to send down. Other teams find guys who can make an impact in the NHL at 18, 19...why can't we? (aside from the obvious reasons of our scouting and drafting being horrible for 4 decades and everything). I know I'm probably fantasizing, but if they're good, why send them down? Like Hansen's suddenly going to turn into a 30 goal scorer...

Anyway, Dalpe and Welsh suck.

They were worth a punt - god knows the scouts probably would have wasted it on the next Sawyer Hannay or something.

It'd be great if they could force their way on. I think Benning will want more time to move out roster players like Higgins and Hansen etc to make room, so it could be a a year or two.

As much as I'd love to see some kids playing in the NHL, if we can put together an elite AHL squad, watching them dominate as an AHL squad will still be great. There is some real potential there this year and next to see a high end AHL team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
They were worth a punt - god knows the scouts probably would have wasted it on the next Sawyer Hannay or something.

It'd be great if they could force their way on. I think Benning will want more time to move out roster players like Higgins and Hansen etc to make room, so it could be a a year or two.

As much as I'd love to see some kids playing in the NHL, if we can put together an elite AHL squad, watching them dominate as an AHL squad will still be great. There is some real potential there this year and next to see a high end AHL team.

Sure, giving them time in Utica is obviously an option for the ones over 20. Doesn't work with Horvat, Virtanen, etc. But I'm clinging to the Kid Line fantasy because that's pretty much the only way the Canucks are really going to pose any threat next year imho. Say during the preseason a Virtanen/Horvat/Shinkaruk line destroys the opposition. Every time they're on the ice, things happen. They dominate possession, score beauty goals, draw penalties, and do everything good NHL lines are supposed to do. Then they hop back to the bench, and a Higgins/Matthias/Hansen line gets owned for 2 minutes. What do we do? Say: "Thanks for coming out kids, have fun in junior!" to make room for the vets who aren't getting the job done? Jesus I hope not.

Anyway, I digress.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Considering Virtanen won't be healthy for pre-season, I'm willing to guarantee your scenario won't happen.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He was the perfect 3rd line centre before losing his eye. I remember seeing that and thinking: "There goes the Stanley Cup. Right there."

Why'd he have to not wear a visor. :( That probably would have been our Stanley Cup indeed.

------

But yeah considering we gave up a 4th rounder and a garbage contract for Dalpe and Welsh it was a worthwhile gamble at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad